“Not worth it!”

City Hotel
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Ras Al Khaimah
“Not worth it!”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We booked the hotel with the free Iceland Waterpark tickets. If I knew ahead how bad their service is, I could have just bought our tickets at Iceland and not wasted our time going to the hotel.

It was my son's birthday so I decided to book the upgraded suite for an additional cost. When we arrived there at 1pm. The lady in the check-in said that we can check in after we go to Iceland because the standard room is not yet ready. What happened to suite I booked? She cannot confirm my reservation because she said that the staff I have spoken is off from work. After settling into an agreement for additional payment, she booked the suite room. She didn't even bother inform us where the breakfast was and the time. Maybe I was just used to other hotels where their reception are far better.

We arrived at the hotel after we went to Iceland and around 7pm. Parking only outside the hotel.

The Suite Room: 5th floor

Two bathroom but ONLY 1 bath towel (we are a family of 4)

Their advertised mini bar - the refrigirator was EMPTY! There's not even a bottle of water!

The additional bed - matress was bad, blanket was worse

Awful smell inside the room

We decided to drive back to Dubai than stay in this hotel. In total, I we stayed 15 minutes thinking that I even paid extra for the upgrade.

One thing made me laugh though, when I was checking out, the manager asked me if there is anything I took from the minibar. What minibar was he talking about?

Maybe they forgot to reserve my suite room? At 7pm check in, They forgot the minibar? They forgot the towels?

Worst hotel I have ever been!

• Stayed November 2011
5 Thank Iamcaleen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 November 2011

The location was not hard to find.From clock tower R/A turn right and then from signal take left.
The deal was made through dealgobbler for 1 night stay with tickets to Iceland park entry for 2 adults and 2 children.So it was a good deal according to me.
As soon as we entered and showed our deal,we were promptly given the tickets by receptionist Ms.Adora.I should say there was a crowd as it was a friday and she was doing well.She even guided us to the nearest mosque,so that was nice,we then headed to Icepark and when we came back at 8pm,we were given room 101.my hubby wanted some floor on top,but was said that special care had been given to me(as I had already requested for peace and quiet) as top floors there would be music,but we slept sound and nice at the comfortable beds,The curtains was good,the dressing and all furniture was neat and good.for the price I paid it was worth every dirham.I enjoyed it all,The weather was cold,so we shut off the a/c.the bathroom was neat and spacious.
Mr.Udaykumar the customer service manager gave us a hearty welcome,that was nice
Room service was prompt.
on request with Ms.Elvie,i had even got my bfast earlier than their time at 4,30 am as I had to fast that morning (Arafat day).
after relaxing we then stepped out across the road to see Carrefour at Manar Mall,then had dinner there,came back and slept well.
Next morning we just checked out easy and fast,maybe bcoz we had paid through credit with the deal.
Hope to come back withsome other deal
Had great time and relaxed for a night out of my home in Uae

Room Tip: ask for room facing the main road or just take any at the lower floor they say if uwant to avoid mus...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Arshaad2010
Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 6 July 2011

The hotel is few minutes away from Manar Mall (the main shopping mall in Ras Al Khaimah), standard of the rooms are fine comparing to the standard of the hotel.

The have nice Sushi Bar and excellent Steak House on the roof floor.

Their slogan is Feeling Home and this is totally true.

Very helpful and friendly service from all the hotel stuff

Room Tip: Rooms with Creek View
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
4 Thank Mohi_Khater
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 5 July 2011

we ent there with other families as a group
the hotel is average in every thing
checkin and check out takes long time
foos was not that WOW
i asked in breakfast for scrumbelled eggs i was told that is offered only for kids !!
rooms need some more care
sleeping was not so easy, a night dancing or music was there all the night

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kozomozo
Abu Dhabi
Reviewed 19 February 2011

We stayed for the night before the RAK half marathon. My wife was running and we wanted a good night's sleep. We parked the car at 18:30 and checked in. The hotel doorman saw us park and welcomed us inside. Reception checked us in with no word about parking.

We went for dinner. My wife ordered salmon and specifically told the waiter to make sure there was no cream in the sauce as she is allergic.He read that all back. She was served chicken. In a creamy sauce. Had she not noticed, my wife would have been SERIOUSLY ill. In addition, they served my wife's starter on its own. They then brought my starter and her main course together!!! Meaning my main course was served AFTER she had eaten hers. Awful.

It got better. Bearing in mind that the whole reason for staying was to ensure she was fresh for the race, we received a phone call. From the police. At 2am. Telling her to move her car. It turned out that the police did not want the car moved. The hotel had phoned the police and asked them to call the registered owners of every car in the car park and tell them to move it. At 2am. Why? Because they wanted to put tables there for the race. They had ample opportunities to mention this to guests at checkin, but no. They chose to wait until 2 am and then get the police to phone their guests. Ridiculous. We (along with many guests) were livid. The manager told us our stay would be free. Apology was accepted and we went to bed to try and recover what sleep we could.

Next morning the hotel completely denied ever offering a refund, had already charged our credit card BEFORE we checked out, and point blank refused to issue a refund. Then an Arab man attacked me personally, physically, in reception. It turned out he was the owner. Who had been in the coffee shop watching the whole thing, and in an extremely cowardly fashion, refused to step in and offer any help or apology. In the end, they threatened to call the police. I ended up having to go to the police station myself, and charge the manager with assault and the hotel with fraud. When we came out, one of the hotel staff had written the "F" word in the dust on my wife's car.

This hotel is awful. Avoid it. Stay ANYWHERE else.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank FlyingScotsman40

Travellers are raving about these Ras Al Khaimah hotels

dubai, uae
Reviewed 27 February 2010

Stayed for two nights with family. The rate was good in comparison with root size and facilities.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 10 November 2008

We moved into this hotel after a very bad experience with the Hayat Plaza Hotel (across the bridge) so when checking in here we really appreciated how friendly and professional the front desk staff was, and how modern this hotel was.

We stayed for around 10 days and some nights (Thurs-Frid) you could hear the nightclub, but most nights noise-levels were absolutely fine.

The location is superb, just across from Manar Mall, and easy to get a cab on the road outside. Just a hint, make sure your taxi driver starts the meter at the standard tarrif at 2.50, as some tries to put on the night tarrif, starting at 4.50 and going up faster, for tourists (especially outside hotels).

The breakfast buffee is large, fresh, and most mornings there is someone making eggs for you which is always nice. It also has a beautiful view over the creek. We tried eating here at night though and were not too impressed, neither with quality nor value. Instead we made a habit of going to the little asian restaurant next door (mainly indian food) which deserves a special mention... It was alway fast, yummy and good value (bill usually comes to 30 dhs for two). Try the chicken ginger and the mixed vegetable curry with Paratha bread!

My only bad experience here was that sometimes room cleaning was a bit slack. For example they did not clean the balcony for our whole stay until I said something (and it was very dusty at that stage) and I also caught them not exchanging old waterglasses etc but just rinsed them out in the sink and putting them back as new, which is not very hygienic.

• Liked — Location, friendly and professional front desk staff, quite at night, breakfast buffee.
  • Disliked — Sometimes slack cleaning, restaurant not great.
  • Stayed September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)