“Great place to relax for families with small children”

Hilton Al Hamra Beach & Golf Resort
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Ras Al Khaimah
Oslo, Norway
“Great place to relax for families with small children”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Our family of 5 (3 small children of 1,5 & 7) stayed in this resort for 14 days in april. We had a great time! Fantastic weather, beautiful beach and hotel. Perfect place if you travel with small children. We got an apartment in one of the villas far away from the hotel/front desk and restaurant but the walk in the morning and after dinner was nice and we enjoyed it. The room was spacious and the AC worked perfectly.
The hotel gets full booked on the weekends. Lot of noise at the beach, pretty crowded and the live music at the BBQ does not help if you want to relax.
Our room wasn't cleaned one of this days. The problem is that housekeeping was not aware of it eater. When we got back from the beach (at 6 pm) we called housekeeping and got towels after less than 10 min. Then while being out for dinner our room was fixed.
BUT!! I don't know how often the floor was cleaned, but after running around in this spacious room in the evening, the feet of my kids got almost black. So thats probably a thing to work on. Staying for so long as we did, we could really get an idea how things work around. The buildings, the rest rooms at the beach the garden and some of the villas do probably need an improvement. There was other small "problems" during our stay that should not happen in a 5 star resort, but everyone was working hard to fix them and wanted to make sure that we ware comfortable.
The service was great, everyone was helpful and friendly. Mostly at the restaurant. We have never felt more welcome other places we've traveled before. Some of the girls in the restaurant knew the names of our kids and welcomed them every time we came by.
Big thanks to mr. Ali in the lobby restaurant for being so kind and helpful. And thanks to Inee and everyone else working at this restaurant for meeting us with a big smile every time and making our breakfast, lunch and dinner comfortable. Thanks to the chef at the restaurant (I don't remember his name but it started with P, he was from India) for making us Mango lassi by request. It was delicious!
We are probably not coming back to this resort, but thats only because we want to try and experience other places too. BUT we definitely gonna recommend this resort to our friends who wants to visit UAE!
Keep up the good work and good luck!

1 Thank Mizz D
ErwinV, General Manager at Hilton Al Hamra Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Dear Mizz D,

Thank you very much for your very elaborate feedback on Tripadvisor, it appears you had a good stay at our hotel, and your positive feedback has been shared with the team, most obviously to Ali, Inee and others that assisted you well during your stay. Thank you also for providing us with your constructive comments, which we will take, review and see how and where we can make positive adjustments to our product and services.

We do wish you great vacations in many destinations you wish to visit, and should you for any reason decide to visit UAE again, we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Resort Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The place is nice, not too crowded. Beach is very accessible. Though there was a bit of problem when they ran out of beach towels for the guest but so far, the place is very nice place to stay. It was family friendly, clean, pleasant staff.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear June Jennylyn E,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback on Tripadvisor, it appears you had a good stay at our hotel, and your positive feedback has been shared with the team. Your comment pertaining the beach towels has also been noted, and we will address this internally to ensure we do not face this matter again in future.

We do hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future for another break on the beaches of Ras al Khaimah.

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We just spent 2 weeks in the hotel with a family of 5.
Great beach, great staff. Everybody is really helpful and friendly.
The hotel area, the room, restaurant and all facility were spotles. Very spaces rooms and good food. Children friendly.
Keep an eye for Ali- HE IS THE MAN ! You need anything- that´s´your guy!

Recommended for a relaxing family vacation !

Dear 418IvanM,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback on Tripadvisor, it appears you had a good stay at our hotel, and your positive feedback has been shared with the team. Certainly Ali and his colleagues will feel very much positively encouraged by your kind words!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We went there as a family and it is very good for children there is a very nice beach but the water sport is very expensive. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and spacious. Nice playroom for little children.

Room Tip: Get one with beach view.
Dear Anelize V,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback on Tripadvisor, overall it appears you had a good stay at our hotel, and your positive feedback has been shared with the team.

We do hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future for another break from the hustle and bustle from Dubai.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

As a frequent traveler and a more than 10 years resident in the UAE this is by far the worst experience me and my family had in a hotel resort so far.
As for most of the hotels standard time of check-in is at 14:00 hours. This was also confirmed by a customer service agent from Hilton who called me a day before our check-in date but unfortunately this wasn't the case for us, arriving 10 minutes before 14:00 I was told that they needed more time to prepare the room so I told it's alright since we wanted to grab lunch anyway so I told them if 30 minutes would be enough but I was told that it would be better if we come back after an hour instead I told them it was fine and that we would come back at 15:00. An hour later while waiting at the near by Al Hamra mall I receive a call informing me that our room is ready being an hour delayed from our check-in time I asked if we could have a late check out but was told that they were fully book the following day however an hour extension from our check-out time (12:00) should be no issue but would still be subjected to the approval of their superior.
As I had booked in their website we were given a double deluxe villa with sea front view we were given a room at the very end of the resort next to the tree like fences that separates Hilton Al Hamra and Waldorf Astoria.
Our room 484 was located all the way up the stairs at the first floor, giving them an hour to prepare we had the impression that everything should already been checked and ready for us however this wasn't the case when we arrive the room was hot since the a/c was still turned off and as he turns on the a/c the staff who assisted us with our luggage informed us it would take a bit of time before the room gets cold which was again fine with us.
As per the a/c control monitor the temperature inside the room at that time was 27 degrees so we thought of relaxing for a few minutes outside at the terrace while waiting for the room to cool but sadly it was easier said than done because the sliding glass door going out the terrace was extremely difficult to open that we can only squeezed in our selves out in the small gap we manage to open by force.
After around 30 minutes we notice that the room temperature was still on 27 degrees but given the fact that we were told that it takes time to cool we thought of giving it more time so we head out to the pool and beach, my 73 year old mother however decided to stay back and wait for the a/c to cool since she wanted to take an afternoon nap first.
There was two pools one was a bit bigger than the other one that was next to the Jacuzzi at the opposite end of the resort. The somewhat bigger pool was closer to our room so we went there first however it was really full, not a sun chair was available and the pool was really crowded with both children and adults alike so we head to the smaller pool which had less people.
After spending some time there we head to check out the beach but then stop by the Le Chalet Restaurant to grab a few cold drinks we ordered for ice tea, pineapple juice, mango juice and water but was given orange juice instead of ice tea and not only that it was room temperature juices too so we ask for ice but unbelievably we were told that they had run out of ice.
At the beach walking barefoot was a bit of a task since there's quite a lot of scattered broken with sharp edges sea shells that really hurts when stepped on.
After taking a dip at the beach we decided to try the bigger pool again, it was still a bit crowded but luckily we found one chair available to place our towels. There were a lot of children from around ages of 4 to 8 in the pool. It wasn't really ideal to swim around as much as we want so we end up in the corner of the pool near the staff that gives away the towels however being this considerate to others ended up on me getting hurt in my upper lip instead. Simply because despite the crowd a couple of boys and their father decided to throw a plastic ball at each other in the pool but what the heck if the staff themselves don't even mind why not right?
But besides being hurt what really annoyed me was the fact that I saw the staff at manning the towels looking at me smiling like it was ok to be hit instead of being apologetic or concerned. Irritated and with my lip hurting we head back to our room to at least rub some ice or something cold to avoid swelling but imagine our surprise after almost two hours our room was still hot on 27 degrees and my mom was sitting in the corner of the bed fanning herself with a cardboard paper quite frustrated as she wasn't able to take a nap because of the heat.
So I immediately pick up the phone to inform the front desk but adding to my annoyance no one was answering so I tried the customer service and housekeeping buttons alternately after several tries someone FINALLY answered and sent an engineer to check the problem.
After 15 minutes or so their staff came check the control panel in the room and went up to the roof where the main a/c unit apparently is. Then he told us that he fixed the problem because he already place gas on it and it would probably be cold after 30 minutes. I mean really you waiting again!!!! refusing to ruin our entire stay we gave him the 30 minutes he asked for before we request to change room, 27 minutes later (yes I did time it this time!) the temperature finally dropped to 26.5 degrees before we head out for dinner one of the hotel staff came and gave us some fruit platter without saying anything or even what was it for so we just assumed that it was for the a/c trouble. After we had dinner my husband and I went to scirocco bar to forget about all the frustration we had so far. My Mother being already so sleepy cause she didn't have her afternoon nap and my daughter since we were used to in Dubai that 15 year old minors like her are not allowed in bars stayed back in the room but then to our surprise inside scirocco we found children around 7 to 10 years of age dancing with their parents while Eddy "the great" sings.
Around 12:30am after finishing our drinks we head back to our room to sleep but then again this wasn't the case for us imagine our shock when we enter found my daughter was still awake while my Mother was sleeping soundly without any pillows in her head. My daughter then inform me that it was because the pillows stinks and just imagine my horror when I check and smell the pillows unbelievably it smelled like a dirty soaked laundry that didn't dried off properly. It's already 1am by that time we were all too tired and with my mom finally getting her sleep instead trying again several times the reception and waiting for the replacements I place a towel in my daughters pillow for her to sleep while me and my husband tried to endure the smell and get some sleep however it wasn't really easy to endure that kind of smell because the longer it gets the smell of the pillow just get's in to you even if you're sound sleep, in the end my husband, my mother and myself were already awake by 5am and thought of removing the pillow cases which we then thought was giving the foul odour but to add to our horror it wasn't actually the pillow case but the pillow itself, the pillow had lots of yellow orange puke like stains on it and since we had remove the pillow cases the smell intensified that it reeks the entire room horribly which now even woke my daughter up.
Tired and with lack of sleep it was then I decided to personally go to the front office reception to complain but after informing them I was even told why didn't I inform from the start so they could have it replaced.
SAY WHAT!!!?? the last time I remember we went there as guest paying around AED3000 to relax and enjoy ourselves and definitely not to find all the problems, complain to get it rectified or replaced.
I mean common it's the week end we went there to energise and distress our selves from a week of work and school and definitely not getting more stressed out and tired like this.
And so with this terrible experience instead of extending till 1pm we were so ready and can't wait to leave by 11am.
Again we were on the 1st floor at the very end of the resort so I called for cart assistance for our luggage, as I mention calling for assistance means you have try several times the reception, customer service and housekeeping buttons in which when someone answered we were asked to wait for 10 minutes maximum 15 minutes but after 20 minutes still no sign of assistance so I called again this time even using my personal mobile and was told that they would check and immediately send someone but then 10 minutes again has passed and there were no signs of any cart.
Desperately wanting to get out of this hell like experience we decided to walk towards the main lobby with all our heavy bags, upon checking out since the staffs were not the same person I spoke to complain about the pillows in the morning, I again decided to advice them of our experience one last time, Alona I think her name was really apologetic about our experience and even offered free lunch to make up for the very bad experience but unfortunately her the efforts was just too late for us to accept we were sleepy, tired, frustrated and totally annoyed with everything.
With the amount we paid, all the good reviews here in tripadvisor and being rank as on No. 3 from the 24 hotels in Ras Al Khaimah we were expecting a lot more from this hotel but sadly it was a totally different experience for us that we left the hotel wondering where were all the good staffs that had been mentioned here in the reviews reviews when you need them because for the first time ever this we were even more excited of leaving that to stay longer in this hotel.
Well I would never recommend this hotel specially not to any of my family and friends.

Room Tip: If your staying with young children or elderly tell them to give you ground floor rooms as the stair...
3 Thank AkosiAteA
ErwinV, General Manager at Hilton Al Hamra Beach & Golf Resort, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Dear AkosiAteA,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your elaborate review following your stay at our hotel.

I was sad to see your stay having been so disappointing, and on behalf of my team I apologize for the lapses of service and product you experienced.

In the meantime we have been in touch with you directly to find ways for you to have the stay you envisioned when you booked our hotel, and I look forward to keeping in touch with you.

Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2014

'Apologies for the delay . . . . we're still dreaming about our stay at the beginning of April! After 5 hectic days in Dubai, we wanted total R&R to celebrate our wedding anniversary and, this was our haven!
From meeting and greeting us from the taxi and whisking our luggage away to the room to our farewells, we felt welcome. (Taxi from Dubai airport was 1 hour and cost 230 dirhams. The return journey is cheaper with local taxi: 155 dirhams. They pull up regularly throughout the day.)
Alison had made sure our 'king with sea-view' room was ready for us with lovely touches. Thank you, all. Very sweet thoughts!
The newly-Hilton-branded room was wonderful with cosy seating area, fabulous bathroom and a balcony overlooking the gardens and out to sea. Kenneth was always available with a beaming smile to help re the room and wish us bon voyage when we left.
As soon as we were unpacked and exploring, Elena appeared to make sure we knew where we were going and offering help. She is a perfect hostess and greeted us every day of our stay.
Breakfast was busy but served to a sensible 11am and the 'breakfast hostesses' soon found us tables very efficiently.
Plenty of choice to suit all tastes.
Mohammed went out of his way to make sure we had the coffee we wanted and Benjamin insisted on carrying the plates!
The staff are delightful, helpful and attentive and are a credit and asset to the hotel.
For dinners, we tried the Indian option twice, the Italian next door at the golf club and the grilled meats at Al Jazeera . . . . newly re-opened.
All were very good.
We booked places on the free shuttle to the RAK Mall one day (4pm and return for 8pm) to see a little more of RAK. The mall cannot compare with the Dubai ones but, is worth a visit even if only to walk outside with a coffee and watch the young bucks whizzing around on the lake on the jet-skis!
There are still improvements being made after Hilton took the hotel over but, they are minimal.
The gardens are established and beautiful and with two pools and a good stretch of beach with safe bathing, there are plenty of sunbeds and parasols for it not to feel crowded.
A lovely setting and a good addition to the Hilton family.
We DO hope we can return.

Dear Thomas B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your most kind review following your stay at our hotel.

I was delighted to see so many names of our team members in your review, which hopefully is a result of the great, personalized service these individuals have provided for you!
Rest assured that your warm compliments have been shared with them.

We, equally to your wish, hope to see you here again for another rewarding stay in the near future.

Pfaeffikon, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Excellent food and service at the arabic Restaurant (Chef Rami and Cherry Ann were outstanding). Perfect room Service at the beach Villa (txs to Alejandro). Very friendly and fast service at breakfast (not by everybody but especially by Mavil). Unfortunately not enough beach umbrellas in front of the Villas. Loud due to jet skis Close to the beach. Summary: Very ok in total.

1 Thank Thomas B
Dear Thomas B,

Your appreciation of the service provided by Rami, Cherry Ann, Alejandro and Mavil will be shared with them for their positive encouragement, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.