“Delightful stay”

Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Ras Al Khaimah
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Delightful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Whilst I have to confess we are somewhat biased as we love the Hilton chain (Diamond members) this is a very good hotel, and has the potential to be a great one.

It is early days and they are running a big operation with new staff and logistically its a huge effort and yet I think given all those things, there is very little to complain about - and much to applaud.

We've stayed in hotels all around the world (for decades) and yet I rarely write reviews unless there is some element that needs commending or was very special or deserves a special mention.

We live in Dubai and decided to check out the new Hilton property for a night as a "taster" and used points for this stay. It was a Friday and very busy, and this would be a time when staff are pushed to the limits (and to observe how they perform under pressure), but they came through with flying colours. It was a seamless and co-ordinated service delivery from check in to check out - and very gracious as well.

We were upgraded (thank you) and although this is often customary for HH members, HH Honors "honours" guests in this regard and it always sets a great "scene" and a nice welcome. The warm welcome commenced from the minute we got out of the car, escorted to reception, introduced to our concierge, checked-in and then escorted to our room. It doesn't get any better than that and it is highly personalised and very gracious.

The room was quite beautiful, gorgeous bathroom and the bed linen and pillows and bed wonderfully comfortable - hence a great sleep - that is always important in a hotel.

I've read some negative comments about service, but we had a great service experience overall, at reception, at the pool bar, then at dinner and finally at the Cigar Bar. At the pool bar we observed the Manager was running around filling the air-condioner with ice to ensure seating ambience was comfortable (it is outdoors after all) and discretely directing staff, a good sign.

While we were having a dip in the sea, a jet ski came in towards shore and another supervisor ran down and shooed him away as he was getting a bit close to the swimmers. There is attention to detail and service everywhere you look and every effort is constantly being made. All the staff nod and acknowledge you politely in passing and one member of management asked how were were enjoying our stay.

It was a tad quiet at Lexington Grill, but that will change, but the quality of the food was excellent and it's a delightful setting. We were also the only ones in the Cigar bar and that often results in poor service as staff become complacent through boredom, but it was among the best service experience we've had (and as we live in Dubai and go out a lot, that's saying something).

The staff member was super professional (he knew exactly when to come over and when not to) and whilst we've forgotten his name, I'm sure management will know who it is - and you've got a great member of staff in that one!

It was a superb end to a very enjoyable stay, albeit a very brief one.

We had to leave quite early around 8am (and so can't comment on the breakfast) but in doing so left some items in the room. So a very special mention to our concierge Cleatus George, a highly personable and efficient young man, who made a number of calls and personally followed up our items (and we retrieved them last weekend).

It's a super idea to have a private concierge who can arrange dinner bookings and follow up left items, and we were most impressed by how it was handled.

I reiterate it is a beautiful property, with delightful staff who are very eager to please and has all the hallmarks for being a great hotel. We'll be back, which is always the litmus test of any hotel.

Room Tip: Don't hesitate to use the services of your Concierge, it will make your stay even better. The to...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GlobalGal5
AndreHerrenschmidt, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear GlobalGal5,

Thank you very much for sharing your kind feedback regarding your stay at the Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah.

I am glad to hear that you had a positive experience with our team members from the moment you arrived in the hotel, we take great pride in our team members and we invest heavily in training each and every one of them to ensure our guests are truly taken care of.

Thank you for highlighting the benefits of being a Hhonour Diamond Member.

I have passed on your compliments to all the team members, especially to Cleatus and everyone is delighted to see that their efforts are appreciated. Our team is committed to ensuring that every guest is happy and strives to meet their expectations.

Please let us know when you plan to visit us again, we would be very happy to welcome you and your family back for another unforgettable stay at Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah.

Andre Herrenschmidt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dubai
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

My wife and I are based in the UAE and do a fair amount of travel internationally and within the country. You can check my other reviews on tripqdvisor... I only write one when I come across an amazing property or a shocking experience.
Unfortunately, the Waldorf at Ras al Khaimah was a shocking experience. I think if you read other TA users reviews on the hotel you'll start to see the common threads:
- unanswered phones
- delayed response
- rooms with issues
- untrained staff
- mediocre quality food
All hallmarks of a 3* hotel that should never be associated with a 5*, let alone a Waldorf Astoria or any beach resort in the ultra luxurious and competitive UAE market.
Some might call it teething problems, but I think its the local management greed to charge premium prices, hire average/sub-standard staff, skimp on training, and take bookings during busy times (weekends and holidays) despite the fact that the hotel is clearly not ready to deal with the crowds..
I blame management because they responded to my requests during my stay in the same cut and paste, dry manner they are responding to the feedback of all the reviewers on trip advisor!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank bayass
AndreHerrenschmidt, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Dear Bayass,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback regarding your stay at the Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah.

I was most disappointed to read that you were not completely satisfied with your experience during your recent stay with us. It is with regret I learnt of your disappointment about the service you had experienced, and I would like to assure you that this is not a true reflection of our usual high standards. It can sometimes be quite challenging when the hotel reaches a high occupancy especially during UAE holidays; however, the service to our guests is of paramount importance and I am sorry that we have not met your expectations on this occasion.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in the hotel if you would like to share detailed feedback during your stay with us.

Epsom, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

I'll start this review by saying that I really enjoyed our stay and loved the hotel - it's obviously new (2 months open) and so the decor and standard of fittings and rooms is high. The pool area, loungers, gymnasium and restaurants are all consistent with a five star hotel.

Before I get to the minor issues, the main point I want to get across is how enjoyable our stay was. The hotel is large but feels smaller which gives a welcoming feel. We were able to relax and never felt stressed and that's what we wanted.

So the minor issues are related to short staffing and inexperienced staff. I can forgive this as the hotel is so new. Breakfast was always fun in that you always knew that it would be a battle for a table outside and by 10.00am there would be piles of cleared crockery and half-eaten food waiting to be cleared away. Waiting for a drink at the pool bar was a lottery as you could wait up to 40minutes some days.....

The staff always tried to do their best and were always friendly and welcoming. Once the hotel has a couple more months under its belt and everyone has settled into their routines it will be a great place to stay.

One recommendation would be this. Given that it's short staffed and the management know this is affecting guest satisfaction, they could try to engage with guests over dinner, by the pool etc and ask for feedback and suggestions on what improvements could be made. There are plenty of "suits" milling around but none seem to be giving direction or speaking to guests to understand their concerns,

So in summary I would definitely stay again and recommend to friends. No, it's not cheap but what do you expect from a five star hotel in Dubai.

It's got a nice feel about it, the rooms are stunning and we enjoyed our visit.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
AndreHerrenschmidt, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear Alderwasley,

I am delighted to read that you generally had an enjoyable experience during your stay and found the hotel to relaxing and that you found the location convenient for the purpose of your travel.

We are sorry however that you did not find some of the services up to standard. We are constantly striving to perfect this and thank you for share your experiences.

Once more, we wish to thank you for your detailed feedback and we do hope to have the chance to welcome you back in future to show you our improvements.

london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

Just checked in and didn't expect to be checked in until afternoon so was pleased when the lovely Maurice found us at Breakfast to say she had a room ready for us. I booked two queen beds and sea view. A Sea view..... not construction sight and huge air conditioner generators and partial sea view...very upset.....just been offered a room away from the construction sight... spoke to the supervisor Omar he is offering a different room on 6th floor..lets see. the rooms are fantastic by the way but dont want to wake up to that eye sore every morning....its fine if it does not bother you...but it bothers me...i dont get away that often and ....well need i say anymore...watch this space...Waldorf Astoria redeem yourself i paid for sea view....sea view

4 Thank gcr19
AndreHerrenschmidt, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear gcr19,

I appreciate your valuable feedback but obviously, I am disappointed to read that you experienced certain shortcomings during your stay for which I would like to apologize. I do hope that you are enjoying the remainder of your stay with us. If you have any further concerns, then your personal concierge will be delighted to assist.

Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Beautiful property, stunning rooms, nice pool and beach area, excellent food. Too bad it is spoilt by incompetent service and poorly trained staff on many occasions.

Rooms - beautifully designed with stunning decor, very clean, well equipped. The only negative - no amenities for children.

Reception staff is slow, needs training, but concierge staff is very professional and helpful.

Breakfast - great, one of the top selections I have seen in a 5* hotel anywhere. Service is "hit and miss", sometimes you have to wait 10 minutes for a table even though there are many tables empty, just not cleaned... Poor organisation of staff, but staff is nice overall.

Beach - nice, good layout, but very poor service, 6 out of 10 times we had to make our beds ourselves, no assistance and NOONE came to us the whole day to get an order for drinks or give us refreshing towels. Not acceptable for a 5* UAE hotel. This should seriously be addressed by management because they are loosing money here. If waiters were offering drink menus, people would order. A service/towel stand at the beach entrance would help. The only exception was Ismi, whose service was beyond perfect. She really made our stay special and made us feel like we were at Waldorf.

Beach restaurant - again, very nice setting, great food, but the worst in terms of service: majority of staff were clueless, bad english, no organisation and missing management - 4 staff standing around pretending they are not there and noone comes to take your order... Or you order a drink and they ask you 10 minutes later what did you order, I could go on and we were not the only ones getting frustrated, we even saw guests leave after not being served a drink for 20 minutes... To be fair, we did address this problem during our stay and the service improved a lot.

Dinner - we can definitely recommend Lexington Grill. The food is excellent and service is great, overall an amazing venue.

Special thank you to Cleatus @ concierge for his outstanding and professional service.

We hope the service issues will get sorted out during the soft-opening phase. We still have a few days left here at Waldorf and we do see improvements.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Trx01,

I am disappointed to hear that your stay did not live up to your expectations and that there were various challenges you have encountered during your stay especially with overall service for which I would like to apologize.

I would like to assure you that we are closely monitoring all of our guest feedback with each department head concerned to ensure that we will not face the same issues again with our guests.

We look forward to having the opportunity to recover from your recent experience and show the improvements based on your constructive feedback.

Please contact me directly when planning to return to Ras Al Khaimah, I would be delighted to handle your reservation and will personally ensure you receive the level of service you are accustomed to.

Muscat, Oman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

The hotel is very artistically designed and the layout is opulent. It is really an architectural edifice!! The entrance lobby is majestic with wonderful sights to feast ones eyes. The landscaping is breathtaking and the swimming pool area is inviting with a wonderful bar inside the pool

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Dear Suresh N,

Thank you very much for sharing your kind review about your recent experiences at the Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah.

We are glad to learn that you enjoyed our beautiful hotel architecture design, the entrance lobby, hotel landscaping, swimming pool area and wonderful pool bar.

Please let us know when you plan to visit us again as we are more than happy to welcome you back.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

This hotel has only been opened for a few months. The rooms, dining areas, pools, beach, etc are all very beautiful. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. If you are a golfer, the Al Hamra Golf course is walking distance from the hotel as well as the Al Hamra Mall ( 5-10 minutes by car ). We were there over the Eid period, so it was very busy but our stay was still wonderful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
AndreHerrenschmidt, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Dear Evs75,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience during your stay. We would also like to thank you for highlighting many positive areas within the hotel.

Please let us know when you plan to visit us again, we would be very happy to welcome you back for another stay at the Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah