“Great Hotel - ideal for pool/beach relaxation”

Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Ras Al Khaimah
London
“Great Hotel - ideal for pool/beach relaxation”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

This is truly is a luxurious hotel that allows you to relax in style. This vast hotel has only been open for 3 months and was operating at very low capacity, I expect to allow all the staff to get up to speed. This must be taken in to account when considering this review, we loved it but if the hotel was full then things may have been different.

Good points:
1) The pool and beach grounds are fantastic. The sunbeds are comfortable, well spread out and it has a massive beach area.
2) The rooms are just fanatastic - overly spacious, comfortable and lovely balconies.
2) The staff are extremely courteous, attentive and look after their customers. They often bring round water to guests at the pool & beach.

Bad points:
1) The area where the hotel is located doesn't have much to do immediately around it. There is a new mall within walking distance but it is quite small and is still awaiting about 30% shops to be opened.
2) The Russian guests are quite rude and obnoxious, but the hotel turn a blind eye to their behavious. I observed a Russian guy in the gym letting his 3-4yr old run around unsupervised and quite dangerously playing with machines. When staff asked him to leave as no kids were allowed he ignored them and carried on, which disrupted the gym for other guests but with no further action.
3) Smoking - lots of people smoking big old cigars around the pool/bar/beach/food area.

Overall, this hotel is brilliant if you just want a luxury place to get some sun. The rooms are fantastic, the service is exceptional and so can spot the place from miles away (especially at night when it is all lit up).

Would I go again? Yes, a no brainer!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank LondonNinja
AndreHerrenschmidt, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear LondonNinja,

Thank you very much for sharing your review about your recent experiences at the Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah.

Thank you for highlighting the pleasure you took from the interior of the hotel and our team members and am sorry that you found some other guests to be less courteous than expected. We try to ensure that each guest has a memorable stay with us.

Please let us know when you plan to visit us again, we would be very happy to welcome you back for another stay at the Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah

Andre Herrenschmidt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I am sure that the hotel shall improve over the coming months as obvious only recently opened the 3 resturaunts are excellent, swimming pool and scenery excellent, Spa good and staff only too willing to please

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

AndreHerrenschmidt, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear TripAdvisor,

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel dining, leisure and spa facilities and that you found our team members to be helpful.

Please let us know when you plan to visit us again, we would be very happy to welcome you back.

Lisle, Illinois
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The new Waldorf Astoria RAK is an opulent hotel built to a scale that really wouldn’t fit anywhere else outside of the Emirates. It’s a stunning hotel space along the warm, still waters of the gulf an hours drive north of Dubai. It took 16 hours of flight time for me to reach Dubai from Chicago. I’m very glad I made the trip to visit the Emirates and the hotel.

You arrive at the hotel entrance under an imposing arched canopy, really nice greeting from staff and help with my bags. The checkin process was painless. As a Hilton Diamond member I was given a room upgrade without question. I explained to the reception assistant that I was looking forward to considering other upgrades at cost if needed so I could have the gulf view room with a balcony that I was hoping for my stay. Other views were to the golf course. I can see golf courses in Chicago. I wanted to see water, palm trees and the beach. The checkin assistant recommended a room and had the porter bring me up to the 7th floor to look at it with the instruction that if the room didn’t have the view I wanted, we could review other room options. My room had a direct view to the gulf above the main pool with a large balcony. It was the room the hotel designated in my upgrade so no additional cost. Perfect. The personal concierge assigned to me was introduced at checkin as well – offering to provide recommendations for activities, reservations, etc. The hotel lobby and Peacock Alley space is massive – stunning.

Breakfast was excellent every day. A wide variety of items to choose from including an egg/omelet station that did a very fine job. As with pretty much every restaurant here, you have the option of indoor or outdoor seating. If there was a service lapse during my stay, it was during breakfast service. Staff are present to clean tables once you’re finished but no one seems to pay any attention to coffee or tea refills. This is a training issue as the staff were clearly focused on bussing tables after breakfast diners left – they cleared the tables immediately. Coffee service was not on their minds. The hotel could provide a carafe at the table with 2-3 cups worth of coffee to resolve this as well. Breakfast is consistently the meal I have at hotels every day during my stay. This hotel should excel at breakfast service as it does in the breakfast items themselves.

I also had lunch/dinner meals at Azure and the Lexington Grill. Both were much better service experiences. Lexington Grills steak menu impressed. Being from Chicago, I have access to some of the best steakhouses in the US. Lexington Grill did a fine job with the dry aged ribeye I ordered. The béarnaise sauce I opted for with the steak was absolutely delicious. After dinner time was spent in the Cigar Bar smoking that last US cold war vestige – the Cugan cigar – which was a real treat.

The pool and beach areas have ample places to relax in the sun or shade as you wish. The dark brown cabanas and the teak looking lounge chairs gave the cabanas a south pacific look. The pool is well staffed and has childrens areas, included shaded portions to stay in the water but out of the sun. A separate pool is available that appeared geared for adults only. The gulf beach is spacious, the gulf water itself is almost totally calm most days. Water sports options are advertised for those interested.

Several other reviews mention that they had difficulty communicating with staff in English at times. It’s clear that the vast majority of the staff members do not have English as their primary language. I had two occasions where I had to ask staff members to repeat what they said as I didn’t hear them clearly, their words almost mumbled under their breath. It wasn’t that their English was lacking – it was their confidence in speaking English with me that created apprehension. This will resolve itself over time. I’ll also note as well that a week prior to my stay I emailed the hotel information email noted on the hotel web site asking for some advice on transportation from Dubai airport to the hotel. That email was never answered. For full disclosure, I have stayed at 5 other Waldorf Astoria hotels and emailed all of them a week prior as well. None of them answered so this may be an issue with how WA’s web services deliver email possibly.

Beyond the beach, pool, sand and a list of paid for excursions, understand that Ras Al Khaimah is a remote Emirate and besides a shopping mall and a water park, there really isn’t a lot to do in RAK. For those who are content with pool, sand, sun and beach and an over the top opulent room and hotel space - I really believe the Waldorf Astoria RAK will not disappoint you.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Siaubas
AndreHerrenschmidt, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this review, 23 November 2013
Dear Siaubas,

Thank you very much for sharing your kind review about your recent experiences at the Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah. I am truly delighted to learn that you had a wonderful stay with us and thank you for taking the time for such an extensive review. I have shared your feedback with our team members, who are delighted that you had such a pleasant stay.

I have highlighted you concerns regarding the coffee service to the head of department, who has already implemented your suggestions.

I sincerely hope that you will come and visit us again from Chicago.

dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 November 2013

i was there with my wife and 2 kids.over all was a good and nice experience however the dinner is over priced compare to the type and quality of the food. the kids pool and play ground need to have w siting area foe teh parents

Dear Mohamed A,

Thank you very much for sharing your review about your recent experiences at the Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah and I am delighted to read that you and your family had enjoyable experience.

I have noted your valuable comments regarding the pricing and a seating area within the kids club. Please rest assured that we have taken the issues mentioned in your feedback seriously and have also shared them with the appropriate departments to handle accordingly.

Please let us know when you plan to visit us again, we would be very happy to welcome you and your family back for another stay at the Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Truly exceptional 3 night stay at the Waldorf. The property compares with any other in the region in terms of quality and oppulence. We were a little apprehensive initially, after reading some negative comments regarding quality of service, but did not have any complaints at all. The best features of the hotel are - extremely spacious and luxurious rooms - fantastic breakfast spread - delicious food at Lexington grill Close proximity to Al Hamra mall also allows the chance to step off the property and do other things.

Dear Salman B,

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and the comparison with other luxury properties in the region, and that you enjoyed the food and beverage options and service from our team members.

Please let us know when you plan to visit us again, we would be very happy to welcome you back for another memorable stay at the Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I really don't have much space in this little box to describe what an amazing time my wife and I have spent in this Hotel... We fell in love with this hotel. From the swimming pool to the rooms, every corner of the hotel has been thought of carefully and add to that a well trained staff that knows how to please their customers! brace yourself to be swept away by the beautiful Waldorf Astoria RAK.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Patrick S
Dear Patrick S,

I was happy to read your review and understand that you had a wonderful holiday here with your wife. We are all glad that you enjoyed the facilities and the team members and that you felt swept away by the experience. We hope that we have created some unforgettable memories.

We do hope that you will find a future occasion to stay with us again as it would be a pleasure to welcome you and your wife once more.

Dubai
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We went for a one get away and whished we could stay longer. The rooms are very nice, the staff is very friendly, the layout relaxing.
What we appreciated the most is that the Lexington Restaurant (Steak House) opens at 6.30pm and has a children menu, this alone made the stay even better. We enjoyed the steaks and our kid had his grilled cheese sandwich (which was very good). Breakfast was very enjoyable with a big selection of anything one wants for breakfast.
We had room service and the sandwich was horrible, the tomatoes in it were green!! We also used the pool bar for a quick bite and the food took toooooooooooooo long and was pathetic for the price paid.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
AndreHerrenschmidt, General Manager at Waldorf Astoria Ras Al Khaimah, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear deepc55,

I am delighted to read that you found your stay to be relaxing and that you enjoyed the Lexington Grill experience.

I have noted your valuable comments regarding the your room service and pool bar experience, please rest assured that we have taken the issues mentioned in your feedback seriously and have also shared them with the appropriate departments to handle accordingly.