“Very content with our stay here - great HHonors recognition”

Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Ras Al Khaimah
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My daughter and I stayed for 8 nights over Christmas using HH points for a reward stay, which I then upgraded to AI on arrival. Even if we had paid for the room I would rate the value for money highly compared to Dubai. We travelled for relaxation, good weather and high standards, and found them all here.
RAK is not a middle of nowhere place, don’t let the 80 mins distance from DXB fool you. The city has a population of around 250-300,000 inhabitants, with a greater proportion being Emirate than Dubai (about 50%). But it IS a working town, partly industrial, which is gearing up more for tourism. So you won't really want to walk out of the hotel as there is not much to see on foot, and what there is is quite spread out. Probably not a place for those who need constant entertainment/diversions/distractions, but if you just want to chill and sunbathe with your ipod and a book or two it is as good as many I've been to in the UAE and Caribbean/Mexico/Cuba. I MUCH preferred this hotel to the Dubai Jumeirah beach one, but as mentioned above, RAK city itself is quite ordinary without the bling of Dubai. And now the JBR property has the easily accessible "Walk", it is better located if you think you might want to wander out of the hotel at night. We combined our stay here with a few nights back in Al Gharoud, Dubai and for me that was the best of both.
The hotel is well situated on its own private beach on the Persian Gulf. The beach is lovely, and at the far end there is an area protected by the breakwater where there are lots of starfish, hermit crabs, tropical fish, etc. And I swear I saw a seal on my last walk on the last day too. The Hajjar mountains in the background marking the border with Oman make a stunning backdrop, reminding me of the San Jacinto mountains near Palm Springs. Adding to the atmosphere is the Adhan (the Muezzin’s call to hasten to prayer) which you will hear five times a day – times vary slightly but start at dawn and recur at midday, mid afternoon, just after sunset and at nightfall. Together with some of the architecture it’s a haunting reminder that you are in Arabia.
We arrived at 10 a.m. and were able to check in straight away. We were upgraded to a double queen deluxe plus room (2602) on the sixth floor of the hotel next to a Royal Suite. Only two other rooms adjacent to us, and two more quite a long way along a passage way so very, very quiet. There is no executive lounge at this property, but if you are on AI you wouldn’t need one anyway. We were met and escorted to the room by a guest services manager who went through the Hilton Honors benefits. We would have had "free" breakfast at the very extensive buffet, but had decided to take the cheaper of the two all inclusive packages - so they knocked something off the rate for each of us. If you decide to eat a la carte for any meal you get an allowance of AED70, almost always enough to cover lunch anywhere and a pizza or a pasta in the Italian. For lunch we swopped between the barbecue buffet at Al Bahar and the Dhow beach bar.

On arrival we had two platters of sandwiches and another huge platter of fruit delivered to the room. Later on we had plate of arabic sweets and pastries delivered. Free HHonors members Internet access (for Gold and Diamond levels) is by way of a password from a card - you have to get this from reception and it is charged to your room and then refunded.

If you had to choose, it would be hard to decide between the villas and the hotel - each has their own merits. Not all the villas are directly on the beachfront, although many are, and they look appealing. The far end of the beach also gets the sun later in the day - valuable at this time of year when the days are shorter. But the hotel rooms are newer and more central to most of the restaurants.

The hotel was pretty full when we were there, more so from Boxing day onwards. And there were a lot of children. But with the beach, and dedicated children's pools it almost never felt too busy. The one exception would be the main buffet restaurant, which was sometimes quite noisy and “clattery” - bit more of a canteen ambiance than a restaurant. More pleasant to sit outside, or to go later when the younger children had gone to bed. I liked the Pure Vida restaurant the best, either a churrascaria offering or a la carte. The Italian was pleasant in the evening, out on the patio with the heaters on.

Gym was more than acceptable, with cardio and some resistance stuff. The resort is easily walkable for anyone without mobility issues, but there are golf carts buzzing around if you’re feeling lazy.

We used a hotel taxi to and from Dubai airport for 300AED one way, which compares to about 250AED for a normal taxi but less hassle. Journey is about 1 hour 15 mins without traffic, with not a great deal to see on route - mostly dunes alongside the motorway.

Probably not a resort for those who need constant entertainment/diversions/distractions, but if you just want to chill and sunbathe with your ipod and a book or two it is as good as many I've been to in the UAE and Caribbean/Mexico/Cuba. I MUCH preferred this hotel to the Dubai Jumeriah beach one, but as posted above, RAK itself is just an ordinary town without the bling of Dubai. And now the JBR property has the easily accessible "Walk", it is better located if you think you might want to wander out of the hotel at night. We combined our stay here with a few nights back in Dubai and for me that was the best of both. On value for money the RAK Resort and Spa wins - 26250 points per night on a VIP reward or 17,500 plus 220AED on C&P is much cheaper than the Dubai hotels.

The staff were generally excellent, and we had great service, particularly from Emmy on Reception and Martin and Tatiana from Guest Services. I also appreciated my call from Claude and his little surprise at the Pure Vida restaurant. That’s not to say everything was perfect, there were a couple of occasions where we were aware of people with service issues. But the service recovery ethos seems to be very strong and when the hotel know they got it wrong or failed to meet expectations they went out of their way to put it right.

We also saw some appalling customer behaviour met with very professional responses- firm but pleasant and non escalatory. I really cannot believe the way some people behave – for example one guy wanting a table “on demand” for eight people and 2 high chairs and ranting when the F&B manager wouldn’t displace/inconvenience other guests already seated.

Definitely will go back and might try adding a few days at the new Waldorf when that opens next year.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank RedVeeUk
RMHiltonRAKResortSpa, Manager at Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Dear RedVeeUk,

How pleasing it is to read your well written accolades of our resort, our team members and your overall enjoyment you had being here with us. As we read, you virtually enjoyed each and every amenity we offer. Thanks a lot for all details, comments, recommendations about your stay at the resort, the location and all facilities within and outside the property.

It is a great pleasure when we learn that as we daily strive to exceed the expectations of our guests that someone such as you tells us.

As you have so well written, you express your joy of participating in many facets of what we have to offer. It is very kind of you, taking the time, in letting us know.

As a HHonors member, we are grateful for your comments as such information enables us to continually monitor and improve the service we are offering.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again at the Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa.

Kind regards.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,811)

Reviewed 8 January 2012

I spend one week in this hotel, and as an experienced traveller I must say the level of service was one of the best I have ever experienced. Staff was very friendly and helpful, yet efficient. very good management and excelent chef as well - quality of food was amazing. Fully recommended experience!

Dear Jana6464,

Thank you very much for such a delightful review. In a few words you said so much. It is very kind of you to recognize our team and the quality of the food.

We wish all your future holidays to be as enjoyable for you.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 January 2012

I stayed here 21/12/2011 to 3/1/2012..A really nice hotel,great friendly staff our room looked out to the beach which is lovely..plenty of sun beds and space to chill out..buffet food was OK . Al Ahar (The fish restaurant) was our no1 here again the staff were fab. Now the bad news.Returing to our room at 0020 on the 1st January 2012 the key card did not work..back to the front desk where all the other guests were standing saying what has gone wrong..Yes they admitted the computer software had not taken account of the year change all hotel systems were affected..even the staff keys were of no use..New keys had to be issued When i asked for the duty manager reply was he was too busy..Nice Santa visit but what happened to the carol service ??.Next morning the Virgin rep had the day off the following day i informed Jimmy of the mess..Kids sleeping in the corridor waiting for room keys,etc..Yes the saea was far warmer than the pools.. I went with Virgin Holidays no complaint with them..A nice holiday spoilt by poor management . Will i go back to this hotel NO WAY

Room Tip: Corner suites 3342 was my room really super one of the best hotel rooms i have stayed in
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
RMHiltonRAKResortSpa, Manager at Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2012

Dear Kemnayladdie1,

Thank for your taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor.

I am sorry about your experience related to the room keys. We have experienced an unexpected issue with our electronic lock system, the datebase had a bug / error and this caused all key cards to stop working after midnight. It was rectified by our IT Engineer after 20 minutes. Unfortunately, the only solution thereafter was to re-issue new guests electronic keys which took 45 minutes as the resort was of course fully booked for the New Year Eve.

All my Department Heads as well as myself were in the lobby when it happened in order to help and assist our guests. Again, I am really sorry about this unfortunate situation.

On a positive note, I am pleased to learn that you found our staff members friendly and that you enjoyed our facilities and our fish restaurant.

If you change your mind, my team and I will be pleased to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 4 January 2012

As I sit in the restaurant I must say my start until now which is so far 2 hrs is poor to say the least. From being ignored upon my arrival from front office to the spa team only having a couple of staff and the desk staff having no idea. Now I'm looking to eat the buffet is open but most the items are finished others no name tags, staff are either new or not yet trained. No manager, no f&b manager, no head chef..... Very very bad. Asked for a menu take took 10 min then 30 min for a Hilton burger. Joke! Let's see the next 24 hrs.
But up to now this standard is well below par.

• Stayed: January 2012
3  Thank Cogs3

Dear Cogs 3,

Many thanks for your comments during your stay with us. I am sorry about your unfortunate experience during your one night stay and that we were not able to exceed your expectations.

I have relayed your experience to the relevant Department Heads for their immediate review and action to ensure that we will just offer a top quality service.

As offer in a separate correspondence following your email sent to my attention, please do feel free to contact me directly for your next visit in order for us to take care of your stay and prepare dishes that suit your taste.

The team and I look forward to your next visit to our Resort and will personally ensure you receive the level of service you are accustomed to at Hilton.

Reviewed 3 January 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Ras Al Khaimah from Boxing Day to New Year's Day and have to agree with the many reviewers who have already extolled the hotel's virtues. Everything was perfect from our point of view from the beautiful pools, gardens and beach to the quality of the room, public areas and restaurants.

Above all the main reason for making this holiday so fabulous was the staff. Every single person we encountered was professional, polite and happy. They really did make a difference.

We ate regularly at the Al Bahar restaurant. The al a carte food was great and we would like to make special mention to Malcolm and Sagar who ensured they greeted us and gave us magnificent service everytime. They really did go above and beyond all our expectations and helped to make this a trip we will remember and cherish. The hotel is extremely lucky to have staff as able and committed as this and I hope they appreciate the extra work they do to enhance it's reputation.

6  Thank Helen0310

Dear Helen 0310,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for the time you took to comment your stay with us on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to note that you enjoyed your time with us and that we were able to make your stay memorable. Your invaluable feedback is important to ensure that we continually deliver the service Hilton is renowned for and exceed your expectations for future visits. Please rest assured that your comments will be passed on to the concerned team members.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa for another enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

I read the mixed reviews on tripadvisor - and thought 'hey i can handle a shabby lobby and a nonchalant receptionist'. So... because it was so cheap, i went anyway. In three words: dated, dysfunctional, (yet) practical.

Dated: almost every review mentions the poor decor - so i'll expand a little. The main areas are a cross between gaudy 70s russian tsar glam and a state-run home for the elderly. Totally nasty! However, even worse is the fact that chairs wobble precariously when you sit in the restaurant, doors are coming off their hinges, lifts go a little crazy - it's a borderline health and safety issue.

Dysfunctional: The girls on the front desk know nothing. It's as if they've been sucked through a porthole from eastern europe and have mysteriously found themselves behind a hotel desk in an obscure UAE emirate. Now, remember - i had read the reviews, i wasn't expecting a 5 star concierge service but i think that my questions were fairly basic 'what time does the spa open?' 'where is the nearest cash machine?' 'where do i get a beach towel from?' However, these questions stumped them and unfortunately, there was never much effort to find an answer! My favourite answer was to the where-is-the-cash-machine-question, where the girl said 'once, i needed a cash machine, so i crossed the road and walked around for a bit until i found a bank'. Genius! To summarise - very little works. No processes, no quality assurance, no added value - anywhere! Just bringing your suitcase to the room is difficult for them. The cleaners even threw away my plastic contact lens case as they thought it was rubbish! Unbelievable!

Practical: Rooms are very cheap, there are good links to the hilton resort down the road which is just gorgeous. There is a bus to the Mall (where you can buy new contact lens cases should the cleaners throw yours away too!) No-one got sick, the rooms were clean, there was hot water, there was air conditioning. It did reach the bare-minimum standards that i would expect from a budget hotel. Because this is what this is - a budget hotel. It's not a hilton. It's not a four star. Sadly, because it is so cheap - it attracts some families with monstrous children.

Even when a hotel is a bit lame - there are always a few saving graces: in this case, a few very helpful characters with beaming smiles and a fantastic hairdresser.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Beebbb
Julien B, Manager at Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 January 2012

Dear Beebbb ,

We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

Please be assured that I have addressed these inconveniences to the team and ensure we minimize those problems in the future so our customers always experience 5* service and standard.

As well, your feedback regarding the condition of the hotel and his facilities has been noted and will be used for future renovation plan

Please do not hesitate to contact me through the private chat if you would like to share more details about your stay.

Yours sincerely

Julien Besancon
Food & Beverage Manager

Reviewed 1 January 2012

We travelled with Virgin in November. The drive from Dubai is long (approx 1.5 hours). The weather was super; 80–82 degrees with a gentle breeze.
Relaxing resort with plenty of space. The hotel grounds are lovely and there are a variety of pools but beware - the main pool is extremely cold. We took a deluxe sea view room spacious, comfortable bed and large bathroom with a bath and separate shower. They do miss a lot of tricks though – tatty stained towels and robes, the strangest arrangement of electric switches I have ever seen and the cleaner did not do a particularly good job. Too many lists of what you are allowed on the various options. Definitely go all inclusive though because the drinks are very expensive. Service was varied – mostly good but occasionally surly or slow.
The main restaurant is buffet style; there was a good variety of food but cafe-like in atmosphere. The a la carte restaurants were included (once per stay) in the premium all inclusive deal – Mediterranean restaurant was very pleasant (we sat outside on the balcony). The Fish restaurant was almost empty and therefore lacking in atmosphere but the food was excellent. The Passage to Asia restaurant was a major disappointment – a long walk from the hotel (although buggies are available if required), the service was poor and the food below par. In all the bars and restaurants it was irritating to be all inclusive but having to wait for and sign a bill for 0.00
There was little in the way of entertainment - A pianist played in the evening or one could sit in the bar which was very pleasant. There is a spa (separate facilities for men and women). The Virgin rep arranged for us to have a driver for the day to take us into Dubai and showed us the sights – very well worth the money.
Overall a very pleasant stay.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank JKent

Dear JKent,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to write a comment on Trip Advisor regarding your experience.

It feels great to learn that you had an overall enjoyable stay with us. Thank you for your appreciative comments on our hotels ground, pools, rooms and the quality of food in our fish and in our Italian restaurants.

However, I am sorry that you did not find the food to your liking in our Asian restaurant, whereas we traditionally get a lot of praise for it, in terms of both variety and quality. Please do feel free to contact me directly for your next visit in order for us to prepare dishes that suit your taste.

Regarding your comment about the room itself and the cleanliness, I have alerted our Executive Housekeeper for his review and necessary follow up.

I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention and hope to welcome you back in the future for another stay.