“Overpriced and crowded mass-tourism place”

Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 28 Hotels in Ras Al Khaimah
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The reviews probably depend on how much money the stay cost you. We went as a couple for 2 nights with half board, and we paid almost 4000 AED (ie 800 EUR!) Although in Europe some Hiltons have an air of luxury about them, this one is a mass tourism nightmare. So, unless you get a very cheap all inclusive deal, do not even bother!

If you still decide to book, be prepared to face:

1. Long lines at breakfast and at reception.
2. Overcrowded everywhere.
3. The worst so called 5 star buffet you can imagine in UAE: cheap and unattractive food, you'll find not even smoked salmon, which is a staple, and do not look for sashimi or cheese counter, there is none! Add to this awful noise because staff is cleaning plates right next to tables, and you get the feeling of a school canteen.
4. Drinks are ridiculously overpriced, the least expensive you can get is a small water you'll pay 19 AED. Oh, and drinks are on top of half-board!
5. A nasty smell in the room, even with a sea view.
6. For unknown reason you can not stay in the pool after 7pm.
7. The huge disappointment is the spa area which consists of a small sauna, a tiny plastic box called hammam and a jaccuzi...without water. For a hotel that markets itself as a "resort and spa", this is really embarrassing.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MagandMag
Raoufbc, General Manager at Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear MagandMag,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort and Spa and for taking the time to write to us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

We noted all your comments which took place due to high occupancy and please rest assured that your feedback about the food tastes and variety, the noise from back of the house, the room smell and your spa experience have been shared for our further improvement. Only for the safety reason we cannot let the guest stay in the pool after 7PM.

We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton. I look forward to welcoming you once more to the Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort and Spa and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels worldwide in the near future. Please contact me directly when planning your next visit, and I would be delighted to handle your reservation.

Raouf Benchedli

Write a ReviewReviews (5,761)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

located approx 100 km from Dubai, very nice, one of the best ,including the italian restaurant just before the main entrance, nice bar at swimming pool too, golf green field in the area . Ideal for relaxing .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Raoufbc, Manager at Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear gfpi,

Thank you for taking the time in writing your comments about your recent stay with us. I am glad that our facilities and the service could meet your expectations.

We are looking forward to welcome you back to our Resort for another relaxing holiday hopefully in the near future.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is set up for families with children. More like a Disney theme resort. Food has been a disappointment as it is just geared towards tourist no Arabic style here. Breakfast was bland with slow service. When in an Arabic country I want Arabic food not Italian or Chinese theme night. I have yet to try the Arabic food restaurant due to the fact that the Brazilian restaurant was such a let down but still cost 80 dollars for a plate and glass of juice. I do not believe the hotel is 5 star. I would leave to look for better local style hotel but they charged me the 16800 AED full stay when I checked in. No in room WiFi just wired internet at the cost of 80 AED per day and I am here two weeks. Good for family fun and room is mostly clean some mold on the bathroom sink back splash. I have the king deluxe at 1120 AED (304 dollars per night) and the room is small. Also no snacks in frigo bar just drinks. 17AED for a small bottle of water give me a break. Won't be staying here again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Aaron R,

We strive to give the best overall experience to all of our guests with any purposes of stay without any exceptions, however please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience caused. We have put your comments about the Arabic theme food, the price, the mini bar replenishment and the room cleanliness for our further improvement. We provide free WIFI in all public areas and in the restaurants; however your comments about the free WIFI in all rooms have been shared for our further consideration.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Having seen others reviews, one wonders if we were all staying at the same resort?
My husband and I have just returned from 9 days here and will be returning in the near future as the hotel staff are the best.. (Not the same for the Virgin holidays rep- see later comments)
From arrival to departure- nothing was too much trouble; polite and helpful staff made a big difference to this holiday so much so.. Trips to the Caribbean may be a thing of the past.

The good things: beach front villas- excellent. Virgin holidays club room benefits- well worth paying for. The pura vida restaurant-good quality food ( not part of AI package but worth doing) .
The best part- staff- Rony in the main restaurant deserves a gold medal - always had a happy face .. Nek, Yonas and Jo Jo in the sunset bar also need commending...

The not so good thing- the virgin holiday rep (Rashid ) needs to pay attention to customer care.. Incorrect or lack of responses to emails pre holiday would have saved us time if he had sent us the information requested as the AI package is not the same as in the Caribbean - limited drinks- not premium brands - needed to upgrade to better package here.. His response re wi- fi was incorrect..but the most annoying thing is his tendency to check his phone constantly when trying to talk to him. The intro talk wasn't useful.. A quick flick through photos on a tablet- wasted time.

Also the idea that the transfer time is 40-50 mins is a joke.. Took 1 hour and 20 mins on empty roads yesterday to get back to the airport on the coach. We arranged a private transfer to the hotel which only took 45 mins- if you can afford it- do a private transfer. We regret not doing a return private transfer back to the airport...

To summarise- the Hilton staff made our stay there truly special - thank you.

Room Tip: Beach front villa
Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Purdey S

Dear Purdey,

Thank you for your taking the time and effort in sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you liked our facilities and that you were impressed with our Team Members hospitality.

We noted your comments about our travel agent representative which we will advise the same. I will share your feedback with all of our Team Member in particular the ones you mentioned by name.

We are looking forward to welcome you back for another pleasurable holiday hopefully in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We loved the food.The choice was unbelievable.We were on the Virgin all inclusive.We had the choice of the Italien restaurant ,Asian cuisine whereby you got the buggy from the hotel which took a few minutes
.If you preferred you could eat in the help your self.There were so many choices.The food was of great quality.My children loved it,the staff were brillant.
We could have taken all the staff home with us.
The Manager called Moses and Keith pronounced Kate were fantastic.They spoke to all the customers ,checking they had everything they needed.Larnie who also worked in the help yourself was great too.
There was then the Greek lunch time restaurant where Abu & Michelle were always so pleased to serve us and gave great customer service
The pool side bar called The Sun set bar was the best bar i had seen in a swimming pool.Again couldnt fault the customer service.The bar people made everyone feel so special.Yonas ,Faiz,&Blessing were great
The italian restuarant,which like the Asian restaurant was waitress service.Raisa,Veronica were brillant
Daryl in the roof top bar made great cocktails.We went there every night before dinner.
All the staff were a credit to the hotel.We are going to go to the same hotel next year
Lastly the Virgin rep in the hotel was great
I would recommend this hotel

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Finn195

Dear Finn195,

It is always good to receive positive feedback. Many thanks for taking the time to advise us. I will share your compliments with our team members.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Just had a very relaxing 2 weeks with the kids in July. Incredibly hot but we got used to it after a couple of days. We spent most of the time in the pools which were nearly always empty, although the sun beds were always covered in towels there were very rarely people actually there. The resort was very safe and the children (youngest 11) were happy to move around the resort on their own, personal belongings were safe left on the beach while you swam. The drinks were quite expensive so we stocked up at carrefour and filled the fridge. 2 free large bottles of water were left in the room each day, which was ample for the day. We stayed 1/2 board and found by the 2nd week we were either skipping breakfast or dinner as we weren't hungry. Although the buffet dinner seemed to have a huge selection there was very little on offer for vegetarians, I lived off salad but in the 2nd week meat had crept into nearly all the made up salads. It would have been good if there had been the veggie sign on anything that was vegetarian as I had to ask each day and was often given incorrect advice. There is a dress code in the evening in the restaurant of trousers for men and shoulders and knees covered for women, this was ignored by the majority of people and a large sign went up during the second week.

I have a lovely scar on my leg from cutting it open on the bed frame which juts out beyond the mattress the bed in our room didn't have protectors on the corners and I would bump into it numerous times a day, my youngest son also cut his leg on it. We had two adjoining rooms, one with two king size beds and the other with a single king bed. The room with the single king seemed to be treated as single occupancy and we had fewer towels and only one glass, whereas the other room had a heap of towels, toiletries and two glasses.

The staff were really helpful and friendly and the guy from housekeeping had a great sense of humour and was really accommodating as my teenagers were rarely out of bed before 1pm.
The water sports centre was great we took a ride on the inflatables and we also used the gym which was always empty and had plenty of equipment and free weights, kettle bells and medicine balls I only once saw an instructor in there.

I would thoroughly recommend the spa, my daughter and I had two treatments each, the treatments were reduced by 50% due to it being Ramadan and it being quiet, I chose the oriental massage and this was the best massage I have ever had, a great start to the holiday. The sauna and steam rooms are very small and we only used them once.

Free wifi is only available in public areas, it coats £12 a day to have wifi in the room. Our room was on level 3 near to the lobby so we were able to pick up wifi on the balcony. The lobby in the evening was packed with people on their iPads.

Best part of my time here was 5:30 pm on the lilo in the salt water pool, usually had the pool to myself which was in dappled shade from the palm trees and I would stay until the sun set.

We often took taxis from the hotel to the shopping malls, the free shuttle left you at the mall for far too long - there was very little there except carrefour- so we usually taxi'd one way. I noticed that all the taxis we caught from the hotel cost from between 5-10 dirhams more than taxis back to the hotel a taxi from the mall was usually 15 dirhams. We took taxis to Dubai which cost just under 250 dirhams each way. It is quicker to take a Taxi than the shuttle as they can travel 40 km/ph faster than buses on the motorway.

We often had to wait a while for the lifts to the room as one lift only worked for the first day of the holiday and was undergoing maintenance for the rest of the fortnight. It is a shame there were no stairs available to use as we were only one floor above the lobby and the lift was often too full to get into. When walking out to our room it was always in the pitch black the lights didn't trigger until we were nearly at our room and the floor lobby area felt a bit like a multiple storey car park rather bleak with large pillars.

Overall would recommend the resort, plenty of pools which open straight onto the beach, lots of water sports on offer, great spa and really helpful staff. Comfortable rooms where the air conditioning could get down really cold if you wanted, which was a great relief from the 46C outside temperature.

Room Tip: Sea views get a great sunset, would recommend being in the main hotel so you didn't have to walk...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Hiker_64OK,

Despite all the positive comments you wrote, we also have taken note on the certain things mentioned on your feedback for our further improvement, please rest assured that we have shared your notes about the vegetarian food, the edgy corner on the furniture and the dress code with our department head.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Disaster, over rated, over expensive, the water of the pool was extremely hot and will never, very bad service, even the WIFI was priced AED 40 per hour.
The kids playground was AED 33 per hour. No activities for kids or adults.
The service room was very bad and the food very expensive specially when u got charged a tray fees 30 AED per order.
You pay taxes in each thing in addition of that you pay tax over all the taxes in the final bill of the check out.
We checked last Friday and we were supposed to stay till Monday however we check out Sunday morning.
Not recommended at all

Room Tip: Never go there
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank LaraAbikaaram
Raoufbc, Resort Manager at Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear LaraAbikaaram,

I was really concerned that our facilities and service did not meet your expectations. I have personally followed up your comments about the pool water temperature and our general service to ensure that the appropriate corrective actions are immediately taken. Please rest assured that your feedback regarding the price for the WIFI, kids playground and the room service charge have been note for our consideration.

We place great value on your custom, and your continued relationship with Hilton. I look forward to welcoming you once more to the Hilton Ras Al Khaimah Resort and Spa and any of our Hilton Family of Hotels Worldwide in the near future. Please contact me directly when planning your next visit, and I would be delighted to handle your reservation.