“Family Hotel”

Hotel Holiday International Sharjah
Ranked #16 of 79 Hotels in Sharjah
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I spent one night with my family at the Hotel Holiday International Sharjah. The hotel is situated in a prime location, very close to restaurants and shops. The view of Khalid Lagoon and Sharjah skyline from the room is breathtaking. The staff were very helpful, especially Issam, the guy in charge of the restaurant. Breakfast was varied and palatable, and the food in general is reasonably priced. The swimming pool is large and with plenty of space around it. There are many facilities like a sauna, a steam room, two Gyms, and two tennis courts. However, there are some areas which need to be improved, such as the room balcony which was soiled with dust and bird poop. The hotel is well maintained from the inside; though its exterior wrongly gives the impression that it is an old, shabby hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
HotelHolidaySharjah, Management at Hotel Holiday International Sharjah, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear guest

Thank you for choosing Hotel Holiday International Sharjah for your recent stay. We are glad that you had a pleasant stay experience at our hotel.

Our hotel is located on the edge of the Khaled lagoon overlooking the beautiful corniche and is merely a 20 minutes drive from Dubai and Sharjah airports. We are happy to know that the hotel’s location added value to your stay. Your appreciation for our facilities, service delivery of associates and rooms has inspired our team. You suggestions have been noted and will be looked into.

We once again thank you for your custom and look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I can start with the advantages: the hotel has really nice location, in the center of Sharjah, walking distance form many restaurants, located near the bay walk. The view from the room's balcony was nice. And that is the end of the advantages.

The whole hotel is very old and needs refurbishment, but anyway first of all the management and staff should be changed.
Note also that there is no alcohol in the hotel, in whole Sharjah you cannot buy or drink alcohol in any hotel or restaurant! Even from the minibar!

The room is very uncomfortable, no soundproofing - you can hear people at the halls and your neighbors. I booked a single room, but I got a twin room with 2 very narrow beds each in a different corner of the room. There was not even a reading lamp by any of them! The bedding was horrible and uncomfortable. The crazy thing was that there had been a kind of safety belt on each bed, looks like they had taken them from a hospital or something. (see the picture)
As I arrived, the minibar was empty! After a long time and discussion it was finally stocked, but with stinking bottles and cans of soft drinks! Stinking like hell, I almost threw up when I touched the bottle, rotten smell... The minibar itself was a small fridge placed at the wall - ugly.
The bathroom was small and dirty. Even the toilet paper was so thin that it was hard to use it (I've never seen something like that).
The internet connection (cable only, but not in the room, you have to ask for it and wait long long time) was slow and expensive (approx. 25 USD/day).

Now the worse thing: service. In my whole life I never met such a bad, slow, lying, unprofessional staff.
The check in took ages, they messed up with our booking. We had to pay for all the rooms, for 3 nights immediately, although we didn't know if we are staying that long. Normally you pay at the check-out, but I guess they had many cases when guest didn't want to pay and I know why... I got a twin room instead of a single/double. When I asked to change the room, they said that it is too late, and 'we may take care of it tomorrow'!
I went to my room and wanted a drink of water, but the minibar was empty. When I called the operator, they said that some guests do not want minibar in their rooms. The manager said that the room was prepared for a tourist group and the minibar was removed. Anyway - who cares. After 20 minutes I called again, I asked just for 2 bottles of water, maybe it was too late to get my minibar stocked... No action. I took the elevator down to the reception and demanded some water. They said that the minibar had just been restocked when I had been descending in the lift. Anyway I demanded a bottle of water immediately and went up. Guess what - nothing in the fridge again. It really made me angry and I went down, argued with the manager, he wanted me to stay calm and relax - how? I asked for another bottle of water, he promised it was going to be delivered, but I just went to the bar and took a bottle of Perrier from the fridge (no staff working there). Finally the minibar was restocked, but the items put there were stinking, I guess they kept in dirty place, the bottles and cans stank I could not wash my hands after touching it. I have to mention a waiter who saw me take a bottle of water from the bar, he sent somebody upstairs to my room after 2 hours to sing a paper that I bought the water (5 USD).
In the meantime I wanted to connect to the internet. I was not able to find the cable, even though the receptionist was sure that the cable is by the TV in my room (you cannot watch the TV from any of the twin beds by the way). The manager came with me to my room just to confirm that the cable had not been there. He promised that a technician would come and fix the problem. He came after a while and put a new cable in the wall socket, of course he left the package on the floor (trash, dirt, trash...) and waited eagerly to get a tip. I hate when they do it. Wait and smile - so spoiled sometimes!
To connect to the Internet you need a room number and a 'folio' number that you get by calling to the reception. There was always a message 'invalid folio/room number' - they asked me to restart the computer, reconnect the cable etc. Finally they sent me a voucher with a correct login and password. It took 20 minutes or so. (the next day was the same, and it took another 20 minutes for somebody to bring me voucher after a long talk-through on the phone).
In the evening I asked for the laundry. I wished for my clothes to be ready in the morning, but requested not to be interrupted in my bedroom and to leave it at the reception in the morning. I like to collect it when I come back from breakfast. "No problem" I heard. The only problem was, that the reception does not want to keep guest's laundry. In the morning they told me that they would contact the dry cleaner to bring me the cloths to my room... I had to wait for more than 30 minutes and I was late for my bus.
The concierge does not know anything what is going on in the city. No idea at all. They do not even have proper maps. So pathetic...

In my opinion this hotel in it's present condition does not deserve even 3 stars. I usually travel to 4 or 5 star hotels everywhere in the world, but I've never seen something like this. The room does not qualify for any rating, a real nightmare. The service is good only in expressions like: "Ok, sir", "Thank you, sir", "My pleasure, sir" but slow and unprofessional action from their side. The manager instead of trying to fix problems, was only saying he is sorry. The people here are not nice at all!

Room Tip: Check the room before you pay. Demand a change of a room immediately, otherwise they will tell you...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
7  Thank Igor S
HotelHolidaySharjah, Management at Hotel Holiday International Sharjah, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Dear Guest,

We thank you for taking your valuable time to share your feedback.

We regret the inconvenience that you had to face during your stay with us. It is our aim to offer our guests an entirely satisfactory service at Hotel Holiday International Sharjah. Please be assured that this is a very rare instance as our maintenance and housekeeping department are on the go to help patrons with all their needs. I have shared your review with my associates and your feedback will go a long way in helping us to improve our standards both in terms of quality and services. I assure you that the next time you visit us; your experience will not be marred by inconvenience of any kind.

Once again, thank you and looking forward to welcoming you for a perfect stay at our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

The hotel is old. I went to my room and I always open the beds before I use them and the bed sheets were not clean. I asked them to change the bed sheets. They changed the ones below but not the duvet cover.... Check ur bed sheets. The carpet on the floor is old. The toilet is ok. There is an open buffet with a good selection. The swimming pool is busy but the gym is old. It is a walking distance from the traditional market in Sharjah which has stuff like artisan, abaya, silver wear etc... There are plenty of other better hotels in UAE. There is free wifi in the lobby only and it is slow.

Room Tip: Up floors looking over the water
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Shereen H

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your stay at the Holiday International Sharjah and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.

We regret that some of our products and services failed to meet your desired standards. I have shared your feedback with the departments concerned and assure you that immediate steps will be taken to avoid any such occurrences in future.

It is nice to know that you were impressed with the food, recreational facilities and location of our hotel.

We thank you again for your support and look forward to an opportunity to serve you with our renewed services.

Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Me n my husband stayed at this hotel. This hotel is just wonderful. The staff at this hotel are soooo nice and veryyy helpful. Me n my husband had absolutely great and veryyyy memorable time there. The only 1 thing that we weren't really happy was the food at this hotel...1st thing the food is verrryyy expensive and 2nd thing they don't hav much variety there...other than food everything else was out class. Thanks to everyone at holiday international hotel staff.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rifat K

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for sharing your valuable time to review our property and sharing your experience with us.

We also thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay and glad that you found our services, accommodation and the overall ambiance up to the mark.

It is disappointing to know that your dining experience was less than satisfactory. Also, I have shared your review with the team in the kitchen and will take necessary steps.

We thank you once again for your support and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

I usually stay at Holiday international while visiting the emirates for business, the complex is in Sharjah, one of the dry emirates, consequently forget about happy hours after work! The rooms are reasonably spacious, front desk helpful, annex restaurant is fine with a permanent buffet solution (excellent lamb and raisins!), though the place is in need of some renovation, the antique cars by the entrance start to look sad rather than appealing, the permanent A/C starts to grow some mold by the outlets, the place lost some of the antique charme. Ok for business but would not consider for a holiday permanence.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Роберто Т

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Holiday international Sharjah for your stay.

A mere 20 minutes drive from Sharjah airport, we are a preferred choice for business travelers. All our spacious guest rooms feature work desk & high speed internet facilities. We are glad that you found them comforting enough. It is nice to know that you were impressed with our services and food.

Also, we have taken a note of your concerns and assure you that we will look into the matter for improvements.

We thank you again for your support and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed there for 2 months. Hotel is good, nice swimming pool and tennis facility. Only missing thing is microwave and kitchen facilities. Breakfast was good and nice variety. Good location, just besides the backwaters.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank go2puneet

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments on your recent stay at Hotel Holiday International Sharjah.
We agree that our prime location makes us the preferred choice of business and leisure travelers. It is nice to know that our team managed to make your stay a pleasant one and that you were pleased with the service, food and facilities provided. Guest remarks are important to us and positively accepted for future improvement. We surely will make necessary amendments for the convenience of our valued patrons.

We thank you for your generous feedback and look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 6 July 2013

My husband and I used to stay there when we travel to sharjah. It's in a very good location and some rooms have a nice view over Khaled Lagoon.

Friendly staff, clean room, good service.

But the hotel overall is tired and old. I think they need a renovation to deserve the 4 star.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple