“Crazy Interiors, enjoyable stay”

Los Muelles Boutique Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Carmelo
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Coming through Carmelo we stayed at this hotel after my wife and her friend decided that we had to stay there because of the eccentric interiors. We loved it. Everything was spotless clean, clearly the owners had put in an enormous effort to decorate it,and we enjoyed the evening with a beer on the balcony overlooking the river. Air conditiong was required because of the heat. Breakfast was fine, staff were friendly and I would come again.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room and try to get one with a view over the river.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I doubt if I ever stayed in nicer small hotel. It's perfectly located, a few steps from the ferry terminal that connects with Buenos Aires. The room was clean and the bed dead comfy. The place is is nicely decorated and the staff were very helpful and charming. The breakfast was more than adequate.

Just two small gripes: the wifi signal was very weak in our room, just over reception, like dial up internet with the pages loading sloooowly, bit by bit. And, if you need a completely dark room to sleep then better bring one of those airline eyecover things, on our floor the doors of the rooms were all half (frosted) glass so quite a lot of light enters the room at night.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank caballitocalling
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Carmelo is of rough charm and the last thing I expected was a modern, boutique hotel. But there it is, right at the river and across from the ferry going to Buenos Aires (muelles = dock or berth).
The place is "India" styled and pulls it off well. THere are interesting bits of furniture and art work and the atmosphere is colourful and artsy.
Staff are professional and friendly. Rooms are well appointed and decorated. I like the stone sink in the bath room.
The breakfast was a bit disappointing but that does not take away from an overall great experience!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Often, it is the little things that count - such as making the light a bit brighter when noticing that the guest sitting down by the fire has a book or preparing something to eat when a guest returns from a day of sightseeing and does not fancy going out to dinner. The people working at this hotel, and especially Itatí, were exceptionally good at showing service at its best. And then there is the choice of very good wines which are interestingly displayed on a wall to pick and choose from. The backyard facing room I stayed in was comfortable. Not much to see, though, except for houses and roofs. There had been some damage from water on the bathroom ceiling and one wall in the room but as there was no humid smell, I guess everything had properly dried and was just not renovated. This, however, did not diminish the quality of sleep in the very comfortable bed. The hotel is, at least to my liking, a bit off the beaten track but things to see such as Colonia and Fray Bentos are still within reach by car and the quality of my stay made it a worthwhile visit.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Eimaer
Reviewed 31 January 2013

After living 2 month in Buenos Aires studying Spanish, I needed a break from the summer heat, humidity and chaos of the city. Carmelo was the perfect blend of charming town, relaxing time, wonderful people, and plenty of things to do for a long weekend. Los Muelles is every bit as good as the reviews said it would be. It is in a perfect location on the river, at the south part of town. You can walk to everything you need - shops, restaurants, bank machines, bus station. And although it's a longer walk to the beach (3 km), it is doable. However, I recommend riding a bike - Los Muelles rents them to guests.

The entire hotel is very well designed and filled with many artful touches. It's very clean and modern and the service is outstanding. All the staff are helpful with recommendations for things to do, restaurants, etc. and will make a reservation at the local bodegas (wineries) and restaurants. They were also patient with me as I practiced my Spanish.

Breakfast is ample and includes a variety of fruit and yogurt, juices, cheeses meats, cereal and breads. Lots of healthy options. If you are too tired to go out to dinner, the staff will make you something. My room had a balcony overlooking the river - very peaceful place for morning coffee. There are also chairs on the patio in front of the hotel for relaxing and reading and giving some attention to the neighborhood dogs.

In addition to biking, running, taking sun at the beach, fishing, rowing, and relaxing you can visit several bodegas just outside of town. Each is a short taxi ride. I visited two that were recommended by the hotel. Irurtia - 100 year old family winery - and La Legrado - a tiny boutique winery further out from town that produces 2000 bottles a year and currently offers only a tannat (the most-known varietal in Uraguay) but plans to offer a Syrah after this year's crush. (Note: At La Legrado they only speak Spanish). Both excellent experiences that were completely different. The hotel also suggested a local olive oil producer but unfortunately the place was closed because the owners were on vacation. I would have definitely added that to my itinerary.

I also had dinner at the Yacht Club one evening, outdoors on the patio. It was lovely and the service was fantastic without being obsequious. I am a vegetarian and asked the chef to surprise me. Which he did - making the region's traditional 'milianesa' with eggplant instead of beef.

Transportation is very easy from Buenos Aires. I took colectivo 152 to Cordoba and walked 4 blocks to the Buquebus terminal for the fast boat to Colonia. Bought a ticket on Berrutti Tourismo (www.berruttitourismo), about 20 meters outside the gate of Colonia puerta for the 1 hour ride to Carmelo. Cost was $105Uraguay each way - about $6USD. My first choice was to take the Caraciolla barco from Tigre, Argentina directly to Carmelo (http://www.cacciolaviajes.com/) - a more scenic ride up the delta. But I could not get tickets. Plan ahead because the boat is small. Caraciolla boats dock right across the street from Los Muelles so it could not be more convenient.

Room Tip: Ask if you can have a room with a balcony that overlooks the river.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Tothita
Reviewed 3 July 2011

We stayed at Los Muelles for 2 nights in May 2011. No problems arranging booking from Australia by email.

We booked the suite which is all by itself on the top floor of the hotel so we could have a bit more room. The down side to this is there is a very steep spiral staircase that was impossible to take our suitcases up and there are no lifts in the building. Along with other guests, we had to place our suitcases in a cupboard near reception and continually go there each time we needed something and had forgotten to take it upstairs.

The room was nicely furnished and had large windows so that we could make the most of the river view. From our window we could also see the ferry dock (just across the road) - so this would be an ideal place to stay if you wanted to catch the ferry to Buenos Aires from Carmelo.

Our room had a small bathroom, with a shower, but I noticed another room on a lower floor had some sort of spa bath in it. There was tv and air con and a cupboard to hang our clothes.

Breakfast was included in the price and was a continental buffet.

Staff were friendly and helpful. There is a bar/cafe on the ground floor. In room massages are also available - ask reception to arrange.

There is no onsite car parking, but we were just able to park outside the front of the hotel, where it was very quiet and not a lot of traffic.

Los Muelles is within walking distance of shops and most restaurants. We did drive to Don Gattos one night following a recommendation from the hotel, but we did not enjoy the food we had so did not go back again. Another night we went to a pizza place that was in the middle of town and had a very enjoyable meal and it was crowded with locals, so I suppose this is always an indication that the food must be okay.

One thing that was a bit offputting is the number of seemingly homeless dogs that hang around the dock and town, Because we just about walked everywhere, the dogs would start following us in the hope of food. While they seemed friendly enough, they would leave our sides and chase motorcycles and cars and I was so scared they would get injured it really began to stress me out, so we tried to avoid being too friendly with the dogs and hope they would find someone else to follow.

Whilst in the area we went for a drive to Nueva Palmira and admired the nice riverside area and dock.

Overall, there is a pleasant feel to Carmelo, but the many motor bikes roaring up and down the streets can be a bit noisy.

Los Muelles was in a very peaceful setting by the river and off the main streets. I would stay here again but maybe not on the top floor if I had big suitcases.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Qldgirl1
Reviewed 23 May 2011

We came here for a weekend out of BsAs. Carmelo is nice in its being completely opposite the chaos of the city. But this hotel is the nicest part of Carmelo. Nice rooms (ours had a little balconette), nice breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple