“Food is good, service is okay”

Viejo Barrio Restaurant and Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Get the Chivito and pay with credit card. Uruguay refunded me back the tax when I paid with my U.S. credit card. That was $6 on a $34 bill!

Reviewed 12 December 2012

A really nice waiter (the owner) will serve you carefully! Not a huge range of food but this a small and familiar place. Do not expect the best but expect a good service, well prepared food and some desserts that'll make you want walk when finishing the dinner :p

Reviewed 2 December 2012

Our waiter was not the best. My husband pointed at the menu and asked for the chicken and then the waiter what type of pasta he would like with it; he chose the Gnocchi. I decided to go with the fish with a Roquefort sauce. When the food came, all my husband got was the Gnocchi and when we asked about the chicken the waiter said he hadn't heard that part.

My fish was not cooked through, there is no way it spent enough time in the oven. I sent it back, but when it returned it still wasn't cooked through so I refused to eat it. There was no offer to take the fish off the bill nor did they.

The couple that had sat next to us wanted to pay with Visa, but were told that it wasn't accepted (that is true in some restaurants and stores), so they paid with Argentine Pesos. We weren't about to leave a tip or more than the bill was worth so my husband went inside to get change for our pesos and was told that they didn't have change...but they just took pesos from the couple next to us and how were they supposed to make change for the bill. So he asked if they'd take Visa and they said yes!?!?

When we went back to the B&B, we told our host since his place, Colonia Suite, is amazing and it reflected badly on him. He called the owner of Viejo Barrio who was non-commital about refunding us the price of the fish dinner. So far, we haven't seen a credit.

This place has the perfect location, but be warned.

1  Thank RicF964
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We had lunch at Viejo Barrio. The food was good, the atmosphere was great - right in front of the church - and the service was the best we had in Uruguay.

2  Thank Canuck72
Reviewed 1 October 2012 via mobile

We needed a quick meal before our ferry and wanted something in the city center. We all had pasta which was good. I would go again in the future.