“Not to be overlooked!”

La Florida
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Cuisine, new product development, boutique wines
Reviewed 1 December 2013

You will feel at home the moment you enter and not just because you really are in the chef/owners home. Carlos, the chef, and his wife, the waitress, will treat you just as one of their own. The atmosphere is cozy & intimate with a mix of smooth jazz music. The tables are set up one the ground floor of an old home just at the end of the draw bridge. The food is seriously in my top 10 food experiences of all times. Do not miss the rack of lamb, which is cooked to perfect temperature in a succulent wine & bone marrow sauce. I didn't even know I liked bone marrow! The prices are well worth the experience. When you go here be sure to take the time to soak it all in.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

We had read all about La Florida from TA so we wanted to go, the puzzle being, when are they open. In the off season they do not always open when scheduled, and only on the weekend for dinner. We were luck enough to be there for a day it was open for lunch.

The owner/cook was very nice and helpful regarding the menu and specials, as was the waitress (who may be his wife). (While I found her very nice my Uruguayan Husband and friend found her annoying; I guess not speaking fluent Spanish had its benefits there.) The room was full of quirky little items, some antiques, some just from the last 50 or so years, spread around with no real rhyme of reason.

The food was the star. I ordered Salmon Ravioli and instead of a plate of small raviolis I got 2 large, squid ink pasta, raviolis cooked to perfection with a wonderful sauce. This also made it so much easier to split the dish so I could also have their beef dish, perfectly cooked and flavored. My friend got the french onion soup and it was lovely, not to salty as many make it.

The dessert was a chocolate lava type cake that we were advised had no added sugar, all the sweetness was natural. It was gobbled up in a matter of seconds.

2  Thank JMSamuel
Reviewed 24 April 2013

If you are looking for a great enviorment and even better dishes the restaurant La Florida should be your pick..... located in the historical part of colonia this litle boutique restaurant provides dishes, flavors and experiencies beyond description.... Far better than anything else in Colonia this resturant is an obligatory stop on your trip.

1  Thank paulfeldstein1
Reviewed 20 April 2013

Probably one of the best restaurant I have ever been to in Latin American ! Everything here is excellent : the food delicious and well presentated, a unique decoration, good music in background and a very simpathic owner. Even though it is a little bit more expensive than the other places, it is really worth it. And if you like desserts, try the tiramisu completly home made : dangerously good !

1  Thank Johanna K
Reviewed 7 April 2013

We were so lucky to eat here. It's currently the low season (April), so not all restaurants are open. We had our hotel call to confirm. There was only one other table in the restaurant, and Carlos, the owner, had opened the restaurant for them. He was the most gracious host. He was our waiter and our chef. We started with fresh salad served with fruit. Then we had the rack of lamb and the prawns. My friend and Carlos surprised me with a slice of pie for dessert for my birthday. It was a wonderful experience, and Carlos treated us as if we were part of his family. Our bill was came to $120 for the salad, two entrees, dessert, and a bottle of wine.

1  Thank lf6444