“Amazing decor and delicious food”

La Casa de Jorge Paez Vilaro - Gallery & Restaurant
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I went to the restaurant with five friends and we were all really impressed with the amazing artwork, stunning decor and great food! The charming resturant owner Jorge made us really welcome and the staff were friendly and the service was amazing. Anyone looking for a little sophistication and a delicious meal can't go past the Art Gallery restaurant. It's a great choice for anyone visiting the beautiful town of Colonia in Uruguay. Tell Jorge that Linda from Perth Western Australia sent you!

1  Thank Linda B

Reviewed 23 January 2012

The location is right off the main square of old-town Colonia.

Atmosphere is fantastic - a house decorated with artwork by Jorge Paez. Perhaps the art may not be for everyone, but the ambiance created by the tasteful furnishings are rather nice in a city filled with restaurants less than excellent at creating ambiance. The courtyard is also a very a romantic setting.

The food is good. Certain items, such as their cheeses, are excellent. I highly recommend sampling some cheeses, though we only sampled the several on the bread plate (we fully intend to partake in a more thorough tasting of cheeses upon our return tomorrow).

The carpaccio was good; it wasn't excellent like the one (surprisingly enough) at Del Carmen, but certainly was well made and tasteful. It needed some more oil and vinegar helped to add a bit more flavor. The pastas were both also good, though I do not remember which ones we got.

All in all, a good place to go. The food is not 5 star (more like 4 star), but is definitely in the top tier (top 3) restaurants in Colonia. Two things to note:

1) Service is not perfect. This is very Uruguayan. You will really not find any places with spot-on service. I don't hold it tremendously against them.

2) The reason I gave this 5 stars instead of 4 is because of the panning of it by people based on prices. Given that the most expensive entrees are roughly $20, it's laughable to pan it based off price given that it's upscale. The prices are about on par with other restaurants in the area; nothing overpriced. Sure it's not the best value (La Bodeguita takes that cake for good food @ a good price), but it sure is good and quality food. Love it or hate it based off whether the food is good or not, not whether you're mad the food is priced more than a McDonalds.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

My friends live close by and we were lucky enough to be introduced to the owner and his staff, and view his Father's works of art that are shown throughout the restaurant, we also dined there a few times.
It is certainly a must to visit, especally his strawberries in cognac.

1  Thank Caz V
Reviewed 16 January 2012

The place is located at the heart of Colonia's Barrio Historico and is an old iberic colonial styled, stone built house. That along with the art pieces and rustic wooden furniture create a great atmosphere for a pleasant meal.

I had the sword fish cooked with honey with a siding of condimented onions (about 15 USD) and it was marvelous. My fiancée had the 4 cheese Sorrentini pasta (about 12 USD) and I had a taste of her dish and it was also neat. I don't know if the ambience helped but I definetely enjoyed my meal there more than any meals I had in Buenos Aires (3 hour boat ride across the river).

It's definitely worth it to go to this restaurant, even it's just to have a glass of wine (or cold beer, if you go in January as I did) and enjoy the place before exploring the rest of the Barrio Historico.

Reviewed 18 December 2011

Definitely a place to eat seafood in colonia. The host is a very interesting person and the place is great overall.