“Average food, terrible service ”
Review of Mercosur

Mercosur
Price range: US$4 - US$20
Cuisines: Fast food
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Food and prices are not bad, not wonderful either. Service, on the other hand, is one of the worst I've experienced. We had to wait more than twenty minutes for the menu, and more than half an hour for the bill. Horrible experience!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

My friends and I took a weekend trip to Colonia, Uruguay to escape the hustle and bustle of Buenos Aires. The night prior to our early morning departure, we stayed up all night celebrating the 4th of July. Catching an early 8 a.m. ferry, we all arrived to Colonia tired, cold, and hung over.

The owner of our hostel recommended Mercosur for lunch, and we blindly followed his advice. WHAT A MISTAKE!!!! While it was a convenient 4 minute walk from our hostel, it was the worst dining experience I have had thus far in my 22 years of life.

My 3 friends and I ordered pasta (granted, this might not have been the smartest choice for a place known for steak. REGARDLESS...), this pasta was a joke. It tasted like warm mush, no flavor except the lingering taste of pre-frozen crap. We had to flag our waitress down multiple times just to place our order.

Our food took forever to arrive at our table, as we desperately watched EVERY OTHER TABLE get served before us. People were seated, ordered, ate, and left before we were served. And like I said, the food was not worth the wait.

We decided to order dessert, since we could not stomach our pasts lunches. The brownie and ice cream was a hilarious joke, tasting like a dirty brick.

As far as paying for the meal, it may seem nice that they accept 4 different currencies, but nothing could be more confusing. I´m pretty sure we got ripped off, paying in our Argentine pesos. The waitress tried to explain the conversion to us, but she clearly didn´t know what was happening either.

I implore you, do not soil your Colonia experience this horrendous place.

Also, they have a Trip Advisor sticker in their window. As if to say, "We suck and we know it! Check out all our scathing reviews on Trip Advisor!"

Woof.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Recommended by two friendly boutique-owners, my family and myself went to this restaurant with high hopes. We should have known from the moment we laid eyes on the bustling restaurant, that this was just another one of those fast-food family diners. The stray dogs that were sniffing around should have been the first clue. The second clue should have been the unfriendly waitress who kept ignoring my mother, who asked for a table for 4.

Oh, if only we had just left! Just then, a family left, leaving us with an empty table. We were eager to sit down -- after the waiter cleaned the table, of course. But what really got on my nerves was that the waiter madly flung the breadcrumbs towards me as he was wiping the table. I don't want to make quick assumptions, but I had a feeling he was slightly racist, as he was extremely unfriendly and rude to the Asian man that was sitting in the table across ours. Or perhaps the waiters there just act like that in general.

The food was O.K, but I wish the waiter was a bit more honest with us. We asked for something, but we didn't exactly get the same thing... it's a bit more complicated than that, actually, but I won't delve into that matter. Anyhow, the food was mediocre -- we ate the mixed-meat plate with french fries (2-person platter costs around 700 pesos). The meat, according to my mother, who is very critical when it comes to meats, was like rubber and smelled. I thought it was O.K.

We had to ask for the check twice, because the waiter had forgotten about it the first time, and we left quickly. The total price for a mixed-meat platter for two persons (we were four, but we just shared it. We weren't very hungry and we usually eat very, very little. Excluding my father, of course.) and a litre of gas water costed 36.4 USD.

Warning: they don't accept credit cards(?) so we had to pay in cash. Unfortunately, we were out of Uruguayan pesos, thus we had to pay in USD. We had to pay either ~800 pesos or 36 USD.

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We visited here today for lunch. During my travels through South America, I've tasted many choripans (chorizo in bread) and this was definitely the worst I have ever tasted. I also love chimichurri sauce but their version of the sauce was pretty pathetic. Such a disappointment. The meals were overpriced and the service was absolutely terrible. The staff were unfriendly and we were pleased when it came time to leave!

1  Thank hails083
Reviewed 2 July 2014

When I visited this restaurant I ordered the entrecôte steak on the waiter's recommendation ( as I did not want a huge steak) and it was cooked exactly the way I like it, My husband was also pleased with his steak. The side dish of mash potato was generous and plenty for 2. We ordered a side salad as well but this wasn't necessary as the meal came with enough salad on the plate.