“Nice boutique hotel !”

Casa Los Jazmines
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Nice boutique hotel !”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Excellent hotel to stay as a couple or with friends. For relaxing and enjoying the countryside of Uruguay. It's a bit away from Colonia, but for around UR$ 400 you can go by taxi to downtown Colonia. Overall a great place, nice rooms and very good breakfast!

Room Tip: There is only 1 room with TV.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 4 April 2013

After a three day visit, I'm officially entrenched in a love affair with Casa Los Jazmines and Uruguay. Marcial turns hosting and cooking into an art form. The food is five-star quality in its simplest incarnation, all locally harvested (sometimes even from trees directly on the property). The views are peaceful. The pool is divine. The decor is detailed and stunning. Casa Los Jazmines brings "Eat, Pray, Love" to life. Make a reservation, pack a good book... and breathe.

Most surprising, I would recommend this destination as both a honeymoon getaway or a fun family weekend with kids (plenty of room for them to safely roam, ages of the little ones in our group ranged from 4 to 12).

Coming home to Los Angeles was a shock to the system; already planning my next escape back to Casa Los Jazmines!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah N
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 nights at Casa Los Jazmines, as a family of 4 (2 pre-schoolers) looking for an escape from the pace of Buenos Aires. We couldn't have made a better choice. As other reviews have pointed out, the grounds are lovely, the home stylish and sedate, and the food dazzling yet simple. Even with young children, we found it a great opportunity to relax, let the kids run around the grounds, and enjoy some fabulous meals and wine. Unlike some higher-end places we stayed, and at the risk of sounding cliche, we could truly feel that a love and a passion were put into the food, and the experience, at Casa Los Jazmines.

I also wanted to address the review below from Daniel_Michaela, because it nearly caused me to not visit. Obviously I can't comment on what happened during their visit, but I found no surprises on our bill. The room came at what I found to be a very reasonable rate, nearly the same as what we paid for a much lesser room in Colonia the night before. Breakfast was included in the rate, and was delicious, thanks to the house-made jams (including a strawberry grape jam that was the best I've ever had), bread, and yogurt. The lunches and dinners were extra, as would be expected anywhere, but I found the price very reasonable, particularly since there was no charge for our kids (ages 4 and 2). And each meal was different, always including high quality olive oil and salt, and nearly every component was house-made. During the day we also ate lots of fruit and pecans which were out on the table, and my wife had tea each afternoon, none of which came at any extra charge. The final bill was just the room rate plus the meals.

Marcial is building his dream, and you can feel that in the way you are treated at Casa Los Jazmines. I would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank beemshake
Brno
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I really enjoyed the few days I stayed at Casa Los Jazmines. It was a trip planned by my friend and so I didn't really do much research on the place or the city itself and let myself be surprised. I'm glad I did, I had to keep asking myself if I'm in a dream. The combination of environment, host and service as well as the great food and conversation made it a trip I'll always remember.

You can see that attention was given to detail with many things, which made this experience so much more enjoyable than it needed to be.

Room Tip: All rooms are great really
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Davgru
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2013

The previous reviewers are right: Casa Los Jazmines is a beautiful property, and a relaxing escape from city life. It’s an opportunity to enjoy the landscape, eat some nice food, and generally do as little as possible. All the good things have been said already, many times, and there's no need to repeat them.

However, the "house/hotel" concept comes with a couple of drawbacks that we wish we'd known about before booking:

1. Everything has a price – even though it isn’t written anywhere.

Our final bill was a surprise. Not a single price appears anywhere on the property - not on a blackboard, in the hotel, or online. Marcial welcomed us by saying "take what you want, as though you are in a home", and made no mention of cost at any point. We naively assumed that the food would be reasonably priced, and that some of it might even be free of charge.

This is certainly not the case. A simple brunch came out at US$30 per person - dinner was significantly more. Every time we tried to make tea for ourselves, a friendly staff member whisked the kettle out of our hands - and (unbeknownst to us) added the boiling water and teabag to our bill.
When I came down with a stomach bug, one of Marcial’s team members brought me a bottle of Gatorade. At check out, this bottle appeared as a US$10 charge.

2. You have to be a big dog lover.

There are four dogs. It's fun having them around on the property. However, if you start walking away from the house, move towards the bicycles, or give any indication that you might be thinking about going somewhere, you will be followed and jumped on by four large dogs. Forget about a tranquil bike ride to the beach: you'll have four rowdy dogs on your heels the entire time, barking and scrapping with each other.

3. The place feels a little too "homely" at times.

The pool was green and murky, to the extent that we didn't feel comfortable swimming in it. It doesn't help that the dogs are constantly drinking out of it.

Our tips for the owners: Clearly explain how the house works when guests arrive; price food more fairly and transparently; keep the pool clean.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Daniel_Michaela
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 13 January 2013

Casa Los Jazmines is a cozy rural house of 6 chic rooms where everything seems to be in its place: the great food, the service, the warm people, the ambiance, the antiques everywhere, every corner is full of art... It s not walking distance from Colonia, which makes it very peaceful so I' d say it' s ideal to go by car although they do have a pick up service at Buquebus terminal. Marcial and Bettina have made our stay a pleasure. It 's pet friendly and welcomes big families as well.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We planned to stay 2 nights at Case Los Jazmines but in the end we stayed 4 nights because we loved it so much!

Marcial, together with his crew is the best and sweetest host we've ever met. He takes really good care for his guests and will make your stay so relaxing. Next to that he is a great cook, and puts love in all the aspects of this superior location.

The rooms are beautiful and all the facilities perfect. The surrounding of Los Jazmines, the sunsets, the animals, the swimmingpool, the hammocks, the beach, the stars and surprisingly loads of fireflies made us feel walking in a movie setting.

And also special thanks to Bettina who accompanied Marcial during our stay!

Room Tip: Ask for the suites DEL CIELO or DEL PAIS, these have the best view to the sunset and countryside, b...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends