“A Fairytale Destination Wedding...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Los Jazmines

Casa Los Jazmines
Los Angeles, California
“A Fairytale Destination Wedding...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I fell in love with Casa los Jazmines the first time I visited. It was for a company retreat that we organized for our development team in Uruguay. I loved it so much, I knew I had to share it with my girlfriend (at the time). Upon my next arrival for our annual company retreat, I once again fell in love and knowing that my girlfriend was on the way, I was inspired to propose. After showing her around beautiful Colonia, we made our way to the Lighthouse (a must see) and it was there that I popped the question. She said yes (lucky me!) and we made our way back to CLJ to celebrate. The love there must really be infectious because in the middle of our euphoria, my new fiancee suggested that we have our wedding there. Of course, I was sold and we would spend the next year planning what would be one of the most amazing and memorable experiences of our lives.

Being local to Los Angeles, California, this would be quite the destination wedding. We wanted something intimate, however, and Casa los Jazmines was perfect. At first, we were nervous about planning all the details, but we quickly realized how accommodating the staff were and our concerns slowly slipped away. Organizing the details was stress free. We worked with a local liaison and they coordinated with the necessary vendors. We were presented with a variety of options in regards to decorations, music and food (I still fantasize about the food!). The details were set and we were off.

Our first destination was Buenos Aires. We decided to spend four days seeing the sights and experiencing the nightlife. It was just the right amount of time for our group of 80 to check out the city and fill our stomaches with the best food and spirits the city had to offer. We hopped the Buquebus ferry across the Rio Plata to Colonia where we were greeted by the CLJ staff. Buses took our guests to the local resort, while my fiancee’s and my family headed to CLJ where we would stay.

When we arrived, we were absolutely stunned. It was immaculate, inside and out. It was more than we could have hoped for. We hosted both our rehearsal dinner and the wedding at CLJ. For the rehearsal, we had a six hour long parrilla barbecue (mmmmm..) and we ate and danced and sung under the stars of the Uruguyan night sky until we could no more. The wedding day was even more spectacular. From the sunset ceremony to the fireworks display to the LED light dance floor to the gourmet deserts, we simply can’t list all the amazing moments. If we had to do it all over again, I don’t think we would change a thing.

If you are looking for a location for an amazing and magical destination wedding or simply a romantic place to stay with your significant other, look no further. I would highly recommend Casa los Jazmines and the backdrop of quaint Colonia.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Drew H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Montevideo, Uruguay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

We are a family of fourteen ranging in age from two to seventy years old and we had a wonderful Christmas and New Years' celebration at CLJ. Colonia is a really cute little town with shops, bars, restaurants and a lot of history. You can easily tour on foot or on golf carts that you rent for $15/hour. Just a 15 minute drive from town, CLJ is an amazing retreat where everything is taken care of for you - leaving you time to enjoy the scenic beauty and time with friends or family. The house worked out so well for us - there are six bedrooms each with ensuite bathrooms and nice common areas inside and outside of the house. The house has a huge yard with hammocks and a rope swing. The kids could run around and we didn't have to worry about their safety. The pool and bar are where we spent most of our time as we were there in summer and it was hot! The CLJ owners and staff were amazing. To prepare for our visit, they installed a ramp on the door and put bars in the bathtub to accommodate my father who is in a wheelchair. We were the first clients in the house after a change in management and Sebastian and Javier really went above and beyond to make our stay very special. Home cooked meals for lunch and dinner were fresh and varied - never too much of one thing. They were also attentive to our requests - and even let us use the kitchen on Christmas eve to bake our own Christmas cookies. Sebastian was the master of the food and Javier kept us happy with delicious cocktails. On two occasions, Sebastian cooked over and open fire pit out in the yard - this takes hours and it was hot but he produced an amazing roasted lamb! And of course we had several meals with asado and Uruguay's amazing beef on the parrilla! I had also brought some wine on my own that I wanted my family to taste while they were here and there was no problem with BYOBing during meals, although the CLJ does have wine available. The terrace is great for meals and hanging out to play games, and read or just relax and enjoy sunsets and the stars. We brought a projector and the staff rigged up a screen from goalposts and a sheet and we had movie night under the stars! There is wi-fi in the house - if you are coming from the US - bring adaptors for your chargers. There are day trips and activities in the area and Sebastian helped us set those up - and it was always so nice to return back to CLJ for total relaxation afterwards. We were there a total of 13 nights and it was a total getaway. Great for family bonding in that we each had our own room and some personal space - but also great space for making fun family memories together - we hung our stockings and personalized the stay in many ways. On a final note - I would recommend renting a car so that you have flexibility in getting around.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are cute and have their own bathroom but only two have a bathtub. Also two of the...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

My family, traveling with two young children (2, 4), spent two nights here to experience a quiet retreat before heading back to Buenos Aires on a two month tour through S America. Our room, El Cielo, had a great bath tub and large screen doors leading to the large garden / pool. The boys really enjoyed walking the property, swimming in the pool, and playing with the four large dogs on site. Marcel was a wonderful host - providing helpful tips for town and creating amazing meals. We had truly gourmet food and wine, despite having young children - a rare occasion.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RowenaLee
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

Excellent hotel to stay as a couple or with friends. For relaxing and enjoying the countryside of Uruguay. It's a bit away from Colonia, but for around UR$ 400 you can go by taxi to downtown Colonia. Overall a great place, nice rooms and very good breakfast!

Room Tip: There is only 1 room with TV.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

After a three day visit, I'm officially entrenched in a love affair with Casa Los Jazmines and Uruguay. Marcial turns hosting and cooking into an art form. The food is five-star quality in its simplest incarnation, all locally harvested (sometimes even from trees directly on the property). The views are peaceful. The pool is divine. The decor is detailed and stunning. Casa Los Jazmines brings "Eat, Pray, Love" to life. Make a reservation, pack a good book... and breathe.

Most surprising, I would recommend this destination as both a honeymoon getaway or a fun family weekend with kids (plenty of room for them to safely roam, ages of the little ones in our group ranged from 4 to 12).

Coming home to Los Angeles was a shock to the system; already planning my next escape back to Casa Los Jazmines!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sarah N
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 nights at Casa Los Jazmines, as a family of 4 (2 pre-schoolers) looking for an escape from the pace of Buenos Aires. We couldn't have made a better choice. As other reviews have pointed out, the grounds are lovely, the home stylish and sedate, and the food dazzling yet simple. Even with young children, we found it a great opportunity to relax, let the kids run around the grounds, and enjoy some fabulous meals and wine. Unlike some higher-end places we stayed, and at the risk of sounding cliche, we could truly feel that a love and a passion were put into the food, and the experience, at Casa Los Jazmines.

I also wanted to address the review below from Daniel_Michaela, because it nearly caused me to not visit. Obviously I can't comment on what happened during their visit, but I found no surprises on our bill. The room came at what I found to be a very reasonable rate, nearly the same as what we paid for a much lesser room in Colonia the night before. Breakfast was included in the rate, and was delicious, thanks to the house-made jams (including a strawberry grape jam that was the best I've ever had), bread, and yogurt. The lunches and dinners were extra, as would be expected anywhere, but I found the price very reasonable, particularly since there was no charge for our kids (ages 4 and 2). And each meal was different, always including high quality olive oil and salt, and nearly every component was house-made. During the day we also ate lots of fruit and pecans which were out on the table, and my wife had tea each afternoon, none of which came at any extra charge. The final bill was just the room rate plus the meals.

Marcial is building his dream, and you can feel that in the way you are treated at Casa Los Jazmines. I would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank beemshake
Brno
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

I really enjoyed the few days I stayed at Casa Los Jazmines. It was a trip planned by my friend and so I didn't really do much research on the place or the city itself and let myself be surprised. I'm glad I did, I had to keep asking myself if I'm in a dream. The combination of environment, host and service as well as the great food and conversation made it a trip I'll always remember.

You can see that attention was given to detail with many things, which made this experience so much more enjoyable than it needed to be.

Room Tip: All rooms are great really
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends