“Fine ” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sur Hostel

Sur Hostel
“Fine ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

This hostel is ok. The dorms are plain and the beds could do with an update.
The showers were irratic but warm overall.
The kitchen is large and well equipped.
The communal lounge is ok but the TV is always on so it makes socialising hard. There looked like a nice outside area but we went in winter so obviously not appealing.
Overall the hostel needs some love and attention.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Overall we enjoyed this hostel. Things we didn't like was that the lock on the door to our room didn't work...you could jiggle the handle and it would unlock the door so that was a negative. But the staff and other guests were nice, the price reasonable and the water in the showers was hot!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
SurHostel, Owner at Sur Hostel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Thank you very much for your review and for visiting! We are glad that you felt comfortable in our home.
Hope to see you soon!
I promise to repair the lock!!! :)

regards
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Super friendly guys running this place (see photo). Hostel is in coolly designed, 70's style, retro house. Some of the dorm rooms are better than others (6 bed room is tops). Laid back rooftop patio is great for meeting fellow travelers (but way too many people smoking up there - gross). Overall a fave. Above average brekkie too. (Just avoid that Buquebus ferry!)

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

O.K hands down one of the best place we have been to.
Staff is SO nice young vivid laughing, good music, tons of food, we cooked Israeli food and they made Uruguay cusins.

The bath and showers are clean the rooms are big with lockers, and upstairs there is a great terrazas with hammoks and just a chill vibe.
If you like travellers place, young and fun thats the place in BEATIFUL Colonia

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Honestly this hostel leaves me with not much to write home about. It wasn't amazing but it wasn't bad at all. The lady who greeted us was friendly and the other guested seemed relaxed in her presence. The room we stayed in was in my opinion horrible. We had a twin room which was bunk beds in a tiny tiny room which I think was infact a staff dorm. We had no windows just some vents to the roof which were covered in cob webs and dust. The room has cannabis poster on the wall and some other rubbish poster stuck on with tape... Not professional at all. The bathroom was alright but I showered with my flip flops on because it didn't seem clean. The other rooms looked sooo much better when we scouted the hostel out later. The kitchen was the best part, it was large and everything was easy to find. The breakfast was alright, peaches were good but loads of bread and jams etc but no toaster for the bread. Also our fan broke in our room which made the stay even more frustrating in our shabby room which they should never use as a guest room unless it was half the price !!

Umm infact during writing this review it's made me feel more dissatisfied with our stay than I originally though.

• Stayed December 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Easton, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed here for three nights, and overall I have no real complaints about the place. When one considers the price/value, location, etc. it really is not bad at all. The staff were extremely friendly and welcoming (honestly that was the best part of my stay here), and went out of their way to make sure that I was comfortable. The place is a converted house, and is actually quite nice, with a terrace, and a courtyard with a parilla. The location is great as well, within easy walking distance of everything in town. The place had a definite party atmosphere (at least while I was there), but I suppose that would depend on the crowd who was staying there at the time. I was there in the off season, and as such the place was half-empty. I could see it being a bit crowded with full occupancy. The only negative thing I’ll say is that the place wasn’t the cleanest. Was it filthy? No. But I wouldn’t call it “immaculate” either. The bathrooms were cleaned daily, but my room’s floor appeared to not have been mopped for a while, and the room had a definite musty “grandma’s house” sort of smell. Be that as it may, I can’t really fault the place. For the price I paid, I have no complaints. It’s definitely not the Ritz Carlton, but I’d stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in a private room on the second floor which was nice.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Trujillo, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Colonia is only a small town, but nonetheless, Sur Hostel was very conveniently located, being close to the main shopping strip, and only a short walk to the beach, the old town and the bus/ferry terminal.

The room had heating which made it very comfortable. The twin bunk beds had no safety rail or access ladder, so the top mattresses on the floor made a bed for the adults, and the kids slept on the lower bunks, which did compromise space. Lockers were provided but padlocks were required.

The kitchen was large and equipped for cooking; the breakfast was basic but welcome. The bathrooms were clean, and the showers were hot and strong.

The staff were always friendly and helpful.

An added bonus was the very welcoming log fire in the lounge room making it a great place to socialise and chat with new found friends.

Our brief stay in Colonia was made all the more pleasant by our stay at Sur Hostel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family