“Always A Good Choice”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 March 2014

When we,.....with other words, my girlfriend and I, spend a day or more in "Colonia", we are always going to the restaurant "Meson De La Plaza".
Its a very good restaurant, well located, with a nice garden in the back, and the food is always good. Its not the best food I ever ate, but its good and well made,.....but it takes sometimes too long till the food is coming.
They have this good guitar-player who's singing well, its always nice and romantic eating a very good "pollo con sesamo y papas espanola" ( like you say it in spanish) and listening to his music.
Or you can relax in the garden, drinking a good glass of wine and watching the birds, because the atmosphere of the restaurant is nice and its location (in the old town) too,.....today, the old town is protected by UNESCO, its amazing to walk through this old streets (a relict of the times of spain and portugal) of "Colonia del Sacramento".
Try the fish in orange-sauce with potatoes,.....I promise you will not be disappointed. The wine is too expensive, but the wine is also too expensive in "Montevideo",.....well, its "Uruguay" and not "Argentina".
My girlfriend and I are quiet often in "Colonia",.....we tried a lot of different restaurants, but
"Mesan de la Plaza" is the restaurant I would recommend if you spend a day or a couple of days in "Colonia".

I hope my review was helpful, enjoy your vacation,

E.K.

There are newer reviews for Meson de la Plaza

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Due to heavy downpours we had a couple of hours to kill before exploring the city and we choose this restaurant for an early lunch. The food was different and very good and they also had live music. Service was also good. Would definitely eat here again

Reviewed 23 January 2014

The food was normal, average, I expect more of these place but it wasnt bad or anything, the service was ´really good, that was the best of this retaurant.

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

A group of us had lunch here. The salad was heavily sauced, the ravioli was the surprise hit: homemade-tasting and with a substantial sauce. The fish was an unusual cut but was presented with a savory caper sauce. The desert was an unusually textured custard with wafer cookies and fruit. To be honest, there was another small restaurant near the water that was making a beef stew in a giant paella pan that looked and smelled appealing. Would have liked to try that option but we were committed.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Meson is in a nice spot in Old Colonia and offers live music, which was quite nice. The food and drink were quite undistinguished. The chicken specialty of the house had no seasoning that I could detect.

Our wine was bottled perhaps a few weeks prior. It took us a long time to get served and even longer to get a bill.

This place seems like it should be good, but out experience was that of being something of a tourist trap..