“it was like traveling 50 years back in time”

El Mirador Hotel and Spa
Katy
“it was like traveling 50 years back in time”
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We arrived by car, cars are not very common in Colonia, there is no traffic and you pretty much park anywhere. The reception was not overwhelming, it took them a couple of minutes to find our pre-arranged rate, at the end we get our room keys. The rooms are clean, they are small, at least the ones behind the reception, I could see the tower rooms are probably bigger? i was never so sure of that. you have to understand this is not a boutique or 5 star hotel, it has all the basics, i saw a bunch of people enjoying the pool and the tennis courts too. breakfast is good, expect to see hundreds of pastries, coffee is great, fruit so so, cheese and deli meats are great. i never had lunch or dinner there. service at the pool side is very good.

Room Tip: I believe the rooms in the tower are newer?
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank minicooper5Katy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Kfar Tavor, Israel
Reviewed 21 November 2011

An overvalued two or maximum three stars hotel ,far from centre of town.Small room,food terrible.Nothing good can be say of this hotel 250$ for one night three persons in a small room with a terrible dinner in nowhere

Room Tip: Don't put your foot in this hotel, never ever
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Leonardo S

Travellers are raving about these Colonia del Sacramento hotels

Bahia Blanca, Argentina
Reviewed 18 August 2011

It is a very nice place to stay where you can enjoy relaxing activities

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We had a group of over 90 guests. The staff was remarkable.
Efficient, friendly, helpful. Meals were very nice. Spacious meeting room.
Pool and spa were favorites. Clean room.
Nice to have a shuttle to go into Colonia.

Room Tip: Guest rooms in older section are larger.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 17 April 2011

This hotel is in comparison to other hotels located far away from center of activities. Rooms look and feel old without renovation. I have never seen a breakfast buffet with so many different kinds of pastries and cookies, probably more than 20 different types, one problem though - the taste.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank NilsEmmelin
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 24 March 2011

I booked the hotel as part of a weekend trip with BUQUEBUS, the ferry and travel agency in Buenos Aires. Goal was to see a little bit of Colonia and being able to relax a bit at the same time. As my Spanish is not extremely good and I am vegetarian (which still is a bigger problem at some places), I first wanted to go to a 5*-hotel. As the three 5*-hotels in Colonia all had no vacancies on that weekend, I choose the El Mirador, being the only 4*-hotel in town (or, at least in BUQUEBUS' offer).

The hotel is situated eight blocks away from the city center, so it still is in a walking distance. Next to the hotel, there is a shopping mall (probably the only one in Colonia). The hotel is built in a 70' hotel complex style you also find all around the Mediteranean.

First thing I noticed when I checked in was that the staff did not speak English at all. This is so far no problem as, having booked a travel arrangement, I didn't have to talk a lot with the receptionist. On the way to my room I noticed that it seems like to hotel is trying to develop the Spa part a little bit more (you see the swimming area, massage offers, the cosmetics boutique,...).

The only thing that changed in my room since it was built in the early 70' was the telephone (early 90'), the A/C and the TV (no flat TV - a normal one from the mid 90'). One thing they probably did not change since then were the light bulbs, as they didn't work. To be honest, I was a little disappointed about the room - it was less the kind of 4*-experience I expected and more the style of a Eastern European hotel that was built during cold war to get western money....

There was a WIFI-network in my room that came from the hotel (and it even was for free), but unfortunately, it didn't connect with the internet. Luckily, the neighbor seemed to have a pretty strong WIFI-router, so I was able to surf for some minutes.

The pool area outside on the other hand was quite nice. Also there, it did not feel like they replaced the infrastructure for the last 30 years, but it seems like outdoor aging is perceived more as remembering the good old time (I know from good and bad hollywood films)than as bad style.

As dinner was included, I went to the dining hall around 9 pm. Again there, I had to learn that none of the waiters spoke a word of English. I tried to explain that I am vegetarian and - as there was nothing vegetarian on the menu - I assembled a veggie course out the other dishes they were offering (this is by the way normally also a good way to find out if a cuisine just reheats food or really cooks - and it is appreciated by most of the restaurants that do not offer a vegetarian alternative). The waiter agreed to my choice, so I went to the buffet for the starter and was looking forward to eat som pasta with cream tomato sauce.

Unfortunately, nothing happened. After 90 mins, I noticed that the waiter started to avoid my table. After 120 mins, I saw that the waiter was pointing towards my table and explained something to his supervisor (it looked like he was telling him that I ordered vegetarian food and it did not arrive from the kitchen, yet). After 150 mins - everyone else already left the restaurant and they have already taken away the starters and desserts buffet, I then tried to ask when I can expect to get my main course (in Spanish...). He then explained me that the kitchen was already closed. After I insisted he confirmed that I have ordered something and that this really is not a 4*-service, but it was only his third day. Disappointingly, he did not offer me another alternative and the small bottle of wine was charged to my room (at least, I would have expected that that bottle would be for free...).

Breakfast the next morning was self-service and was quite okay. The buffet was filled with many different cakes and tartes and some cheese and scrambled eggs (and meat...). The day, I spent outside next to the pool.

When I checked out in the afternoon, I felt that it would not make sense to complain in my very poor Spanish, so I just paid the bottle of wine that was charged to my room and left the hotel.

(this was by the way an excellent choice, as the old town of Colonia really offers a lot - not only to see, but also nice restaurants, cafés and ice cream shops).

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank swiss_guy82
buenos aires
Reviewed 8 May 2008

Well... I went with my boyfriend for a romatinc get away....we're from Argentina, so it was very close to us....our principal idea was to go to other hotels... but the only one aviable was this one...(we booked with no time :S)

The hotel has its own combi so they pick you up when you arrive from Buquebus...

The check in was quick and nice...we were given a room with no sight, so we ask for a change, and no problem!

the room es very confortable and warm....the food in the breackfast and dinner, very good, and VERY NICE ATENTION from the personal.....

the pool is nice, but it was cold!

for now, all PROS...the onli CONS....it's a little far away from the historical center, and the main streets....

advisable!!!