Hotel Posada del Virrey
Sheraton Colonia Golf & Spa Resort(Colonia del Sacramento)
US$205
US$167
  • Pool
Radisson Colonia del Sacramento Hotel(Colonia del Sacramento)
US$135
El Mirador Hotel and Spa(Colonia del Sacramento)
US$148
US$126
Don Antonio Posada(Colonia del Sacramento)(Great Value!)
US$78
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Costa Colonia Riverside Boutique Hotel(Colonia del Sacramento)(Great Value!)
US$91
Posada de la Flor(Colonia del Sacramento)(Great Value!)
  • Breakfast included
Charco Hotel(Colonia del Sacramento)
  • Breakfast included
Posada Plaza Mayor(Colonia del Sacramento)
  • Breakfast included
Posada del Angel(Colonia del Sacramento)
  • Breakfast included
Ayres Hotel(Colonia del Sacramento)
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 6 March 2012

The pousada is ideally located right by the harbour. Contrary to other reviews we heard no noise whatsoever from our ground floor room. The building is lovely with a splendid atrium. Breakfast was generous and varied. Staff were cheerful and helpful. They did assist with our luggage! My only suggestion is that the technology (tv and internet) is updated.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mar186525
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I stayed at the “Posada del Virrey” for almost five days and here are my comments on this accommodation:

Let’s start by the location.
In my opinion the location is very convenient, right in the heart of the old town and just 100mts away from the old harbor.
In order to be honest I should say that almost every “Posada” Is well located in “Colonia del Sacramento” since the historic neighborhood is pretty small, but nevertheless this one has that point on its count.
The “Posada” has an antique ambience and the reception is a desk located right into the covered patio of the building. Of course, you will find in this place that the furniture is old fashioned, not necessarily all colonial style, but old. The ceilings are very high so it will give you the nice feeling of a big space, especially in the reception and the restaurant.
You should we aware that 90% of the rooms are in the 1st floor, with stairs access, but as the ceilings are so high you will feel that you are going at least two floors up. Not a problem for people in the 30’s like me and my fiancée but if you are in your 80’s and you are not in shape you should ask for the ground floor rooms.
The Rooms:
The superior suite (I’ve stayed at the “Juan Tenorio” suite) has a nice and a bit noisy hydro massage that I’ve enjoyed at least once a day. By the way the bathroom is quite big (you will get a good echo if you like singing while getting a shower).
The weather was really hot the first days of our stay so the air conditioning was a plus and fortunately the split is not too close to the bed so you won’t feel a cold needle hitting in your back while you are sleeping.
The bed was comfortable enough with two pillows per person and the room had plenty of mirrors in the old furniture, more useful for my girl than for me.
The room also had an LCD with Uruguayan Cable system (no premium channels) mini bar with some refreshments inside and a big and old wardrobe.
I’ve read that some comments on this page remarking the noise of the street in the morning. My personal experience was pretty good in that regard I’ve just heard the steps of the other guests when climbing the wooden stairs, but luckily no major noises.
There is a terrace in the first floor with a nice view of the old port where you can take a cold shower during summer and where you can enjoy the sunset over the Rio de la Plata.
The Breakfast:
The self serviced breakfast was Ok for us with, coffee/ tea / milk, orange juice, some variety of yogurts, cereals, croissants, ham and cheese, bread and jam of 4 different flavors and some cakes. We noticed no major changes in the breakfast offer over the four days, so if you like more options you could feel disappointed.
The service:
The service was good, kind, but not extra kind; let’s say it was gentle and a bit informal.
As a con I will say that I never saw an hotel employee carrying the baggage of a guest to the room, maybe because the were just girls in the service staff, but it would be nice if someone could help with your luggage when you arrive tired to the hotel. They were informative regarding the city but no very enthusiastic when informing about the outskirts of Colonia.
As the owners of the “Posada del Virrey” also own the “Posada Don Antonio” (200mts from Posada del Virrey) you will also have free access to the nice and little swimming pool they have. Be aware that if you go to the swimming pool in a very hot day the pool may be crowded as you will find guest from both “Posadas” in a small place.
Others:
The hotel also offers a free guided tour on Saturdays. If you want some info of the old town it would be a good option to take the tour.
The last day of our stay, we asked for a late check out (half full day price until 6pm) and we were transferred to the junior Suite called “Infanta Isabel” the major pro was that it had a window with a nice view of the terrace, but the difference with the superior suite was huge, the air conditioning wasn’t working properly (meaning that it was a better idea to open the window than turning the air on). In this suite you will get instead of the Jacuzzi a plain shower, the bathroom is much smaller and so on. So I would take the superior suite instead for a minimum difference.
I didn’t see the 1st category rooms but I’ve heard from the employees that they offer a champagne cup, every night if you take those suites, can’t talk about the rooms.
Price:
The good thing about Colonia is that Argentine Peso, Dollars, Reais, Uruguayan Peso, are accepted almost everywhere.
In this case the hotel price was mid range (superior suites U$D150) probably a bit expensive for the services you get but at the same time it won’t break your budget and you will have the chance to feel some hints of the colonial times where Spanish and Portuguese conquerors fought for this “gem” of the Rio de la Plata.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank adanbuenosaires
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We stayed two nights in this hotel and would have loved to have stayed much longer. The building is full of history, located in the historic centre of Colonia so all the sights are right on your doorstep. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the reception area is one of the most charming I've seen.
We were given a very large room on the first floor with a huge bathroom and a little balcony overlooking the river - a perfect place to sit out and watch the sunset. Probably the best hotel room we've stayed in after 5 weeks travelling in South America.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank greengal33
Reviewed 7 April 2011

We spent one night at the Posada del Virrey in Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay. The posada is located right in the old section of town, an easy walk to both the historical and more modern section. We loved the whitewashed walls, arched barrel ceiling, and great harbor views from our room. We rented bikes, and the staff was very accommodating about letting us lock them in the courtyard. The breakfast was the most complete we had on our two week trip; we didn't eat about half of the offerings that they had. We speak Spanish, but I think it might be a little bit hard in Colonia if one doesn't know any Spanish at all.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lindaesacramento
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Charming, older, boutique hotel just steps from the old town and major sights. We booked late and ended up with one of the upstairs rooms (no elevator, no bellhop, two long sets of stairs). Strong heart needed.
Free wifi, nice breakfast, decent prices. We caught a quick glance at one of two rooms that are actually reached before the reception area; they looked pretty spiffy; likely tthe ones in the website photos. Go for one of those.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple