“Comfortable and welcoming”

Hotel posada Manuel de lobo
London
“Comfortable and welcoming”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed at this sweet little posada for just one night whilst taking a break from the hussle and bussle of BA. Colonia del Sacramento is a charming, sleepy town - just perfect for a relaxing weekend break.
The gentleman who greeted us on arrival (the owner I think?) was so friendly and welcoming and gave us plenty of recommendations and tips for our short stay. Our room was quite large and well furnished with tradiational, heavy furniture and a very comfy bed. The bathroom was old fashioned but perfectly clean and functional.
Breakfast in the sunny conservatory was a highlight - fresh pastries, home made jam and dulche de leche with excellent coffee - perfect!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Constanze_M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Bristol
Reviewed 22 October 2010

Nice hotel close to the action (?) in the town centre. The room was large, with a good en-suite. However, it was right on the pavement side so a little noisy by day. Other rooms would be better situated.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Stavros45
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 3 August 2010

During our stay of 2 nights at Manoel de Lobo Hotel we had to struggle with the water heating system that apparently was not correctly dimensioned for 3 people.

At the first night the outside temperature was close to zero Celsius (July/2010) and my wife had to finish her shower with cold water. Can you imangine that? She was only the second to have shower.

The people at the front desk was unable to fix the system or gives us any alternative. My son had to take his shower the morning after.

We found out that the water was heated in a small tank by eletricity. If you empty the tank during your shower you are lost. The water has to fill the tank and then the eletricity will start again to heat the water. Can you imagine how much time it will take?

Nevertheless, if go during the summer or if you like shower with fronzen water the posada is not so bad. Very well located close to all atractions and the people who prepares the breakfast are realy very nice.

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank deimoslrk
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 July 2010

Our double room was an awkward, small queen size bed plus 2 twin beds on the side that didn't leave much space to move around. Moist and worn out furniture, walls in need of new paint.

On the positive side, personnel was very welcoming and coming from Buenos Aires we found the area very quite and relaxing.

The hotel prospectus claims 4 stars, but really think of a 2 stars hotel to meet expectations.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank robikubi
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 June 2010

First, please understand that I only attempted to book a room for this coming Christmas at the Hotel posada Manuel de Lobo in Colonia, Uruguay. I have never before written a review of place that I only attempted to visit, but since I rely on TripAdvisor for much of my travel planning and since I have never previously encountered a property that was recommended by TripAdvisor that simply failed to respond to multiple reservation requests, I thought a review was justified.

Two weeks ago I sent a reservation inquiry to the hotel at mlobo@colonianet.com, a contact e-mail address published at their web site at the bottom of their home page. When I had heard nothing back from them two days later, I went back to their web site (http://colonianet.com/mlobo/Posada2.htm) and found two additional e-mail addresses (posadamlobo@colonianet.com and reservationml@colonianet.com from the reservations and contact web pages, respectively). I then sent a detailed follow up reservations request to these two addresses in which I again attempted to make a booking at this hotel for Christmas 2010.

No one from the hotel ever acknowledged either of these two inquiries: no autoresponder, nada. Maybe they are booked at Christmas time (I know this is the highest season), but given that I was writing them more than six months in advance, a polite no would have been the proper approach. (And for those who might be wondering if there was something wrong with my e-mail system, I can assure them that I have had no problems with my e-mail which could possibly explain the hotel's failure to receive my messages.)

My spouse and I have now made other arrangements for our visit to Colonia this coming Christmas.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RailwayHobo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2010

i doubt whether we could have found a better place to base ourselves for the total of 3 days we spent in Colonia. The location is no more than a few steps from the closest restaurants & the main thoroughfare and no more than 5 minutes walk to the Barrio Historico.
The B&B is a converted house with spacious rooms. All staff were most attentive to our needs even though Frank (the owner) still struggles with English.
Breakfast is served at the back of the house with glass paneling overlooking the small garden. This area can be cold if you take your breakfast early

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
London, UK
Reviewed 19 February 2010

We stayed for two nights at this gorgeous little pousada. It is on a quiet cobbled street but only one block from the main road so lots of great bars and restaurants are nearby (the receptionist particularly recommended El Porton to us on the main road and we went both nights the parilla was so good!!) We had our best nights sleep here as it was just so relaxing and peaceful and enjoyed waking up to a lovely breakfast in the pretty courtyard at the back of the pousada. The room was beautifully and traditionally decorated but had all mod-cons like very effective air con, cable TV and wifi. For such a great location, friendly staff and a beautiful and relaxing stay I wouldn't go anywhere else next time!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple