“What a B&B Should Be”

Ranked #1 of 4 Amenia B&B and Inns
Rye, New York
“What a B&B Should Be”
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We were looking for a b and b in a country setting but close enough to some of the attractions we wanted to see. Hilltop House was our choice and we were very pleased with our stay. We found so much to do in the area such as the Rails To Trails system a block away, many good restaurants (Red Devon and the CIA), wineries and the FDR Home and Library.

We booked the Cottage Room which was tastefully decorated, clean and comfortable with well-appointed sitting areas in the room so when we wanted to take a break during the day we each had a place to read. Breakfast was a highlight. Sandy's breakfasts were very good, very satisfying. Sandy knows what makes a mouth-watering repast. We look forward to going back again during the summer season to explore more of the local hiking and biking trails.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Susan2424

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 9 November 2012 via mobile

This B&B is located in a quiet residential neighborhood just up the hill from town. The innkeeper, Sandy, keeps it impeccable and stands ready to accommodate every need. Breakfast is served at her dining table and depending on what time you arrive to the table...well you just never know who you might meet. If dining in privacy is a preference that will also be arranged. All the food is homemade and served convenient to your timeline... But be true to your timeline because gettin it fresh off the griddle is worth the effort. Sandy also does not hover so I feel I'm coming and going from my own home. Speaking of home... The rooms are well appointed, the front entrance leads to a warm cozy living room with television, magazines and snacks. Close to the boarding schools and fabulous little towns.... It's a definite!!!!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Edenrox
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Planning for a business trip to the area, my husband chose this B&B as a belated birthday present . . . and it was perfect in every respect. The hosts, Sandy and West, were warm, welcoming, and charming without being intrusive (which is a delicate line they mastered), and helpful in finding restaurants and providing information about the area.

The home was comfortable, and Sandy's full breakfast provided nutrition to last till suppertime! We didn't want to leave, and hope we can return soon. We will tell all our friends about this place.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cottage Room which was perfect for us on this trip.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MJSWood
Larchmont, New York
Reviewed 3 October 2012

My wife and I stayed one night after cycling over 40 miles in the beautiful surrounding area. . . Sandy is a very friendly and hospitable host---and a good cook!. . the house is beautiful, the rooms clean, (very nice shower in our "Cottage" room), the bed very comfortable. . . met some other guests at breakfast who were very nice---great all around experience. . recommend. . .

Room Tip: If you can get the "Washington" room, I think it would be the quietest, as it faces the ba...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank s_chat1
Hillsborough, New Jersey
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Our last weekend trip of the summer brought us to a BMW event at Lyme Rock, CT. We stayed for 2 nights in this most charming and comfortable B&B.... beautiful surroundings in the quaint little town of Amenia, New York. Lovely rooms, awesome big front porch. Thank you Sandy your delicious breakfasts and for making our stay relaxing and enjoyable.

Room Tip: Queen Room is lovely
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Larrilyn B
Noank
Reviewed 2 August 2012 via mobile

My sister and I took a family trip to Amenia and how lucky we were to stay at the Hilltop House. After climbing up the big hill,we were so excited to see a gorgeous home with a big porch. Our room was beautifully decorated..our hosts so friendly. I wish we had more than one night..the house was so relaxing..the porch inviting and a sumptuous breakfast made our stay complete!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank NoankStarr
HilltopHouseAmenia, Owner at Hilltop House Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
Thank you so much for the nice review! We love it when our guests leave happy!
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I just spent an evening at The Hilltop House Bed & Breakfast. I stayed in the Rose Room. I loved it. I am not fond of staying in many hotels and haven't stayed in a true Bed and Breakfast since I was a child in England, but I could stay here any time without hesitation or complaint.This was by far the best place I have stayed. I was so pleased and comfortable. I had everything I could possibly need and want...plus more. I was overwhelmed by the beauty, the details and simply marveled at the absolute cleanliness. I must say that the delicious pancakes with lemon zest topped with local maple syrup was divine. I was on the trip for business but felt like I was on vacation. I have already talked to my husband about going back JUST to stay at the B&B. - Thank you Sandy for allowing me to feel so at home in your beautiful home.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Karin H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amenia
White Hart Inn
#4 of 4 in Millbrook
Blackberry River Inn
Blackberry River Inn
#2 of 4 in Norfolk

Been to Hilltop House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!