“Are you kidding me...?”

Cascade Mountain Winery & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Cascade Mountain Winery & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 14 Restaurants in Amenia
Price range: US$0 - US$35
Cuisines: American
Good for: View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Description: Cascade Mountain was the first farm winery on the east side of the Hudson River. We planted the vineyard in 1972 and opened the winery in 1977. Nestled atop the foothills to the Berkshire Mountains, we are a family winery and have been making award winning wines for 38 years. We are a destination where you can relax and enjoy a tasting of our wines followed by a leisurely lunch in our dining room, or on the deck.
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Are you kidding me...?”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Let me start by saying that we met representatives from the winery at the Altamont Apple and Wine Fest a few weeks ago. They were great...gave us a brochure and told us to come down from where we live (Saratoga, NY) for lunch and a wine tasting. We were really looking forward to getting there. On Thursday 10/10/13 I called the winery and left a message asking if there was food available during the Columbus Day weekend as the website was unclear. I never received a return call. My wife and I and two of our family and went down to Dutchess County today 10/12/13 to tour the wineries. We planned on getting to Cascade Mountain around 4:30 in the afternoon. Unfortunately, one of the roads to the winery was closed and we had to take a detour that put us about 15 minutes behind...the winery closed at 5 PM. We pulled into the winery around 4:47. There were cars in the parking lot, an "open" flag hanging off of their sign, and an "open" sign in the door...phew...great!

The four of us walked in and were greeted by two patrons at the wine tasting bar and the woman behind the bar all shaking their heads "no". The woman behind the bar then said, 'If you can't drink your wine in ten minutes, you can't do the tasting...I am leaving at 5 o'clock...' I thought that she was joking...but no. My wife explained that we were delayed with the road closure and that we came a long way to get there. She then said that they close at 5 and that she would "let us buy something, but we could not do a tasting". My wife said that we have never had any of their wines and would like to taste them first. Still, nothing from the woman...they closed at 5 and that was that. Two hours plus to get there and this is the way that we were treated...ten minutes before they close.

The most aggravating thing was the attitude of woman who was conducting the tastings. She has no clue what customer service means. I know that they closed at 5, but I called them earlier in the week (with no return call which is why we did not go there for lunch), there was a detour to get there, and we were there ten minutes before they closed. We would've paid for 4 tastings at $7 apiece and probably would've bought, at least, four bottles of wine...and she treated us the way that she did. We would've been out of there by 5:05 and spent at a minimum $100. If she offered some sort of an excuse...fine. Something like she had to close at 5, but if we wanted to buy something, we could taste it first...but nothing. Dollars walked through the door and she sent them away. I hope that that woman was not the owner. Seriously, it was very embarassing the way that we were treated. We were all saying how that woman could not be the owner because she would not have sent us away if she was.

We usually go to the Finger Lakes on Columbus Day weekend and decided to try something different this year. As we were leaving Cascade Mountain we talked about how a Finger Lakes winery would never shun a group, ten minutes before their closing time. As the title says...Are you kidding me?

• Visited October 2013
5 Thank Scott44NYVI

NY
“Not worth a visit”
Reviewed 7 July 2012

The lunch was expensive, the buffet was awful, and I got food poisoning after I got home. Not worth the visit.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank lajlloyd
Millerton, New York
“amazing setting”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Food is good and sitting outside on a summer evening was perfect

new york, ny
“the food is terrible ...”
Reviewed 24 October 2007

this restaurant has undergone a few changes in the past 20 years. it was first run by the famly that owns the winery and had a menu the featured local products in a charming atmosphere: local cheeses and fruit plates, grilled chicken and quail... the Culinary Institute ran the kitchen for a few years and although it was pricey the food was excellent ( my personal favorite was crisp duck with fig risotto and balsamic reduction) more recently the restaurant is offering a buffet lunch dubbed 'the harvest of the hudson valley'. at $21.95 the initial thought that it's great but it's more like the budget party at the VFW. sausage & peppers, meatballs and wild rice with cranberries were drowning in oil; cole slaw, chicken & shrimp salads dripping with mayo, the flank steak was not chewable. it also looked as if the food was not replenished. by the time we got to dessert there were only crumbs left.
this is a lovely place with a outdoor deck overlooking the hills and vineyards, which gives more reason to visit, but until the kitchen changes its menu again - stay away...

2 Thank travelpronyc