“Nice to return to this excellent value for money hotel”
Review of Hoa Binh Hotel

Hoa Binh Hotel
Ranked #112 of 144 Hotels in Hoi An
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Nice to return to this excellent value for money hotel”
Reviewed 17 May 2014

My second time here and the welcome and helpfulness of the staff is lovely. The hotel is located between 2 one way roads with access from both roads. It has an indoor swimming pool which is lovely to take a soak in after a hot day sight seeing. Our room was on the 4th floor, which kept us away from traffic noise, and was perfectly clean, quite small, but was ample for our needs. Breakfast is included and is buffet style with a good choice including eggs or pancakes cooked while you wait. You can hire pedle bikes outside the hotel for 20000VND which is great. The area is very flat so easy to see by pedal bike. I would definitely stay here again if i come back to Hoi An.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I am shocked to read about the staff not being very friendly. The minute we arrived the staff were so helpful, carrying bags in from car, arranged a car to pick us up, showing us on map where to go (we did not ask, she called us back as we walked out the door). We wanted to do a cooking class we found online & we showed her the number, she called & booked it for us. Such helpful staff. Room was fine, clean, big beds, AC & FAN, hot shower. Breakfast was good, pancakes, eggs & lots more. Pool was indoors so no one uses it. We enjoyed our 4 nights here without complaints.

Hoi An, Vietnam
Reviewed 14 May 2014

The building and amenities are nice enough, and while the pool is a kinda a joke, at least it's there for a quick dip, and the breakfast is very good; but this place is where I first fully realized that, for myself at least, the importance of a hostel or hotel is much more about being able and comfortable to ask the reception questions and getting good advice from them, than simply a place to sleep. Hoa Binh is a place to sleep. I read some other reviews from people with similar complaints but thought they were maybe being too nice; not the case. I was really displeased with the service, and that is rare for me; I was not demanding, I was very polite, and I only asked a few common questions, but every time, even as I was approaching the desk the receptionist, didnt matter which one, had the (rhymes with witchiest) look on her face, gave me so much attitude, basically rudely refused to answer my questions or answered with a few words and a smirk to her friend for no reason, then followed up with lots of vietnamese clearly mocking me, again, for absolutely no reason. Again, really realized the importance of customer service and friendliness at your temporary home when you are a traveler in a strange place. Finally, I myself really didn't care about this, but I will add that it is supposedly connected to sunflower hostel, but it is completely different in atmosphere and far away, and a lot of other people were upset or at least disappointed by this. Really strongly would not recommend.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay here again.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Brittany M

Travellers are raving about these Hoi An hotels

Ascona, Switzerland
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We stayed for 5 nights and we had a nice time. 20$ a night is the most we ever paid in VIetnam, but that's Hoi An, and the buffet breakfast was worth the extra bucks. It is at walking distance from old town and has bicycle and motorbike rental nearby. The staff does not always seem very keen to help you, but if you ask politely you'll be fine. It's the second cheapest on LonelyPlanet so it gets a lot of customers and is sometimes full, so book in advance. We had no problem with showers and AC.

Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

We had no booking for here but a guy in our airport shuttle did so we jumped out too! Initially we were reluctant to spend $20 for a double as this was the most we have spent on a hotel by far during our travels! However we did end up staying for 3 nights. Why? Well firstly all hotel prices in Hoi An start at this price , It also has a pool, which we had all to ourself, it was in a very good location for the old town and the staff were friendly and helpful. Negatives: you have to get up very early - no later than 7:30/8am if you want to get your decent breakfast as it's a Buffett and they aren't very good at replenishing the food once it's been eaten.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

We found this through the LP.
Overall we were disappointed.

The first room was cramped and several broken objects incl light, TV remote control etc...

We got moved the next day but had to pay extra.

Pool is no good as indoor.

Shower heads are fixed and very low down.

Mainly we were dissatisfied with the poor breakfast and rude/miserable staff

Hotel is very good location and clean
Rebecca and Andrew - UK

Stayed May 2014
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I left the hotel feeling quite upset for the first time in my 4 months travelling!
I checked out at around 4pm, there are no signs anywhere or any indication of a specific check out time however I understand this is later than the norm so expected some sort of charge. When I spoke to reception to check out & pay they were really rude about the time, insisted I'd told them I wanted to stay longer threatening to get out CCTV of me booking!! I hate confrontation & was really polite & apologetic, eventually they agreed to only charge a half day extra rather than a full day & again I was really polite & grateful, they continued to look really angry as though I'd just committed the worst crime!
Then later that evening I had a minibus to the train station, I was told to wait at my hotel from 7.45 but that the bus left at 8pm. I tried to have a quick dinner with friends before catching my bus so arrived about 7.50 & it was there already! Having travelled through Thailand, Laos & Cambodia with buses always arriving late I had not expected this! So I hurried to collect my backpack & as I was doing so the staff started to have a go at me for being late. I hadn't even booked the minibus through them it was just picking me up there, completely unnecessary comments & really not the way staff of a hotel should treat their guests.
The dorm room was fine but a bit cramped, would be better as a 4 bed dorm. Swimming pool is not that nice & breakfast ok.

• Stayed April 2014