“Good value budget hotel, for the money you can't really argue.”
Review of Tan Phuong

and 1 more site!
Tan Phuong
Ranked #125 of 144 Hotels in Hoi An
Cranleigh
“Good value budget hotel, for the money you can't really argue.”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Small and friendly this is a $10/night hotel with small but decent rooms and aircon. The staff are helpful and if you want will arrange tours for you to wherever you want to go.

The beach is 4km away this will cost you 40k dong on the back of a bike or 60k dong in a taxi. As we spent most of our time on the beach this hotel was ideal- no swimming pool but who'd go to a rubbish pool in a small hotel when An Bang Beach is so close?

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank MarkRJenkins

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Vietnamese first
Travelling!
Reviewed 1 March 2012

On the surface this guest house doesn't look so bad but trust me under the pretences it was the worst place I've stayed and I have travelled the world extensively at different times.

Some of the negative things of this hotel you get used to as a traveller through Asia (indeed I really don't have high standards, and have actually stayed in cosmetically worse places complete with rats, cockroaches etc), but what I found here was that I was being scammed!

So the superficial things like the damp in my room which gave the room a putrid smell, the dirty sheets stained and smelly I am kind of used to by now. What was more annoying was probably the fact that at 6am everymorning, the cafe/bar next door plays very loud music sometimes Techno for several hours which penetrates the thin wall into therooms (especially downstairs). I asked them on two different occasions to turn it down, normally met with just a laugh and a smile. One time they did however. The Guest house really don't seem to care bout this and see that maybe you dont want a rave starting everymorning while you try to sleep!

What I found the worse though was the fact that from the first moment I arrived I felt like I was being taken advantage of, scammed. I was constantly lied to about the busses which the staff said were not running ue to Tet and they had checked this. In fact this was absolute rubbish because I checked and at least three maybe more of the bus companies were still running at least twice a day. Everytime I asked about this the staff would just sweep it under the rug and suggest I book more nights and suggested a date a few days in advance. I believe this was a cynical ploy to make me stay there longer so they could make more money off of me! One day I tried renting a motorbike with the intention of riding to My Son and back for the afternoon. Again, the lady on reception doubled the actual travelling time knowing that I didnt want to ride in the dark so I would have to rent the bike the next day and consequently stay there an extra night further scamming me.

The worst episode came when I wanted to leave the next day so went to pay my bill. They tried charging me for a night that I had already paid. I refused to pay, not because it was a lot of money but because I knew I was right. The problem was they had my passport so they wouldn't let meleave without paying the money that I already had paid. I refused to pay and the situation became very tense. The manager was called a few hours later and he tried to make me pay. I told him there was no way I was going to pay. He told me he would keep my passport so trying to force me into paying. The situation got very volatile with him acting aggresively towards me. We had a VERY loud shouting match infront of about 10 other guests and he tried to square up to me and raised his fist to me. He then banned me from speaking to any other guests and from using the internet so I couldn't write on trip advisor! I had no intention on paying so I went to the police station, one 20 second phonecall from them and they said I could return. When I got back, he said it had been a mistake I didn't have to pay, tried shaking my hand and cracking jokes and gave me my passport back. Lesson there: don't mess with Vietnamese Police. His whole attitude had changed. THe last thing he said was he had charged the money for that one night to the girl who worked reception, he took it out of her wages. This is how much of a snake this man is. PLease read other reviews on this site about how slimy he is. He will be constantly aggressively trying to sell you something but not caring about customer service.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!! I hope I have given you an incite into this place and helped you make a decision.
Marc

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Hoi An hotels

Reviewed 25 October 2011

We were treated with utmost respect. At first the manager did try sell everything in hoi an to us but after a single decline we weren't bothered again. When I got the bill I couldn't believe how little it cost. As a backpacker I think this was a great choice for us as it was soo well priced and had everything I needed and we were never taken advantage of. Highly recommend it!
Mike, South Africa

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Mikeykoen
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We went there without reservation because they picked us up from the bus with bunch of other tourists. They said this hotel has it all but it isnt that black and white.

Reception and doors closed up weirdly early and the night off turned Wi-Fi was annoying. Rooms were dirty and the bar next to the hotel wasnt helping

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank gimmiebest
Hoi An, Vietnam
Reviewed 7 October 2011

I checked into the hotel with a group, and we got a few rooms. The issues with the manager were as follows;
- Organized a twin room for two in the group who were to turn up later that night. When they turned up, no twin room was available anymore, so they had to each spend more on singles.
- Was offered a single room for $6, or $8 with aircon. Booked the $8 room, only to find it impossible to turn air conditioning on. Went to speak to manager, and suddenly he claimed $8 room also had no aircon. When I pushed pushed the issue, he claimed to "forget to enable aircon", and fixed the issue.
- No hot water in the morning in most of our rooms.
- Rooms were dirty, cigarette butt left on the floor of the bathroom in one of the rooms. Upon complaining, it still wasn't cleaned up.
- Stains on the sheets.
- Turned internet off at 11:30pm, so wifi didn't work anymore.
- Closed off common area at an early time, and sent guests to their rooms.

Definitely the worst hotel I have stayed in on trip through Vietnam. You can do better elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Adamp3
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I stayed in this hotel for about a month, because I was looking for a house in Hoi An (I live here now). During my stay there were multiple incidents about which I would like to warn single female travellers about. The manager, Phuong, seems pretty nice at first. However, after my friend left he became pretty aggressive. Kept on inviting me for beers in MY room, kept on hugging me at night and touching me at places he really shouldnt even come close to, knocking on my door either late at night or really early in the morning, trying to let himself in. The end of the story is that he put big amounts of beer, water and laundry on my bill that I really didnt use, but since I had no proof I had to pay for it. During my stay there I saw several people being ripped off for his tours, and being taken to his tailor that he takes about 50% commission from. (really high and not a good tailor!)

Also, in Jan, a bar opened next door ( I think it is owned by the manager as well as it carries his name) and it starts playing extremely loud techno music at 7 am.

All and all, the rooms are quite good value for money, but I would not recommend this to anyone since the owner scams everyone.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Emmelie V
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed 19 June 2011

I stayed in this little hotel 11 nights alone and came back with a friend for 5 nights more.
The rooms are clean and in every room is a well running refrigator and air-con.
The staff is very friendly; they offer breakfast, lunch and dinner; motobikes and bicycles, free internet, laundry, all kind of tour tickets; it's also possible to hire motocycles there from a German-Vietnamese joint venture in Hoi An, we had a motocycle for two days, very good quality for a fair price; it's also possible to go with the motocycle to south or north and leave it for example in Nha Trang and some other cities.
You don't have to be worried about your lagguge or valuables in the room.
The price for rooms and especially the beverages in the hotel are cheap.
For me it was luck to find this hotel, I enjoyed the time there very much.

Steve, Germany