“Torn on this hotel - good hotel but terrible service”

Long Life Riverside Hotel & Spa
Ranked #140 of 156 Hotels in Hoi An
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Torn on this hotel - good hotel but terrible service”
Reviewed 9 June 2010

I agree with a lot of what the people here have said. Overall, the location is great, rooms are big and overall comfortable, I loved the pool and the free bike usage. Beds were great, as was the bathroom (though my friends in the other room said that their shower curtain had mold all over it, and found it difficult to ensure hot water for the shower).

That said, we had overall bad, indifferent service from the beginning at this hotel. The hotel arranged a car to pick us up at the Danang airport. In their e-mail to me, which I printed and brought along, they quoted a $12 rate for this service. Upon our arrival, they said it was $15 and would not budge, even when I showed them the rate quoted in the e-mail to me. They were rude about it. Even though it's not a huge difference, the way they approached it was not nice at all. Furthermore, they claimed we had to pay in cash because of "government regulations". No idea why, but they were aggressive about it and made us sign some paper quoting each price for all the service s(room, hotel transfer) and became aggressive when we wanted to check and verify that the prices they were showing us were what we had been quoted. It was very bizarre indeed, as other guests all seemed to be having a ball and really liked the staff - some other guests were getting their pictures taken with them!!

Overall, the place was good and I liked the location. maybe we just had some bad luck, but I'd be hesitant to recommend the place simply because of the service. I'd recommend it with the above-mentioned caveats.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Stopped here for 5 nights in May and was very happy with my choice. There are cheaper places in Hoi An but for a couple dollars more you get a lot for your money at this hotel. Staff are welcoming and helpful. The room I has was huge! Large spa bathroom, 2 (extremely comfy) king-size beds, balcony, and a computer and bar in the lounge area! The pool is small but smart and a nice place to cool off in the hottest part of the day. They include fresh supplies of free bottled water in the rooms each day and the breakfast selection has a little more to offer than other places I stayed in Vietnam. Location is great: Across the river from the main streets of Hoi An but only a 2minute walk away. Bikes can be hired from the hotel for free and it only takes about a 15 minute gentle ride to the beach (Although bikes aren't allowed on the beach. Its easier to leave it at one of the beach-side bar/restaurants in exchange for buying a drink or two than leaving at the designated parking lot). Booked a trip to My Son with them which was really cheap and very good (try to go early as it gets busy and hot by mid morning) also booked train on my behalf from Da Nang to Hue. The booking fee was a little steep given the cost of the fare but it takes all the hassle away. I'd summary, highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Roostourer
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 30 May 2010

The perfect place to stay in Hoi An - steps from the river and small bridge to the old town. Not to be confused with its sister hotel Long Life Hotel. Best breakfast we'd had on our 27 day trip around Vietnam. Had what amounted to a 3-room suite - all for $35/night! And a pool (inside courtyard). Free bikes. The ancient city of Hoi An is a must see - our favorite spot. Check out photos of hotel...Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Partick, Scotland
Reviewed 29 May 2010

I stayed here for 3 nights with my boyfriend in a river view room. Check in was quick and easy and the staff were friendly. The room itself was extremely large with a separate sitting area. The bathroom was large and clean- and although there was no door there was a curtain you can pull over. There was a modern computer in the room with free internet which was great.

The room looked out onto the main road and the river. There is a bar below the room but I didn't find it particularly noisy. Watch out however for the cockerel who starts squakling at 5am and the school bell/drums which start about 7am, which is a pain if you want a lie in! I think in hindsight a pool view room would be better as its away from the main road (plus its cheaper) although I suspect not as big.

My only gripes about the room was that it didn't have a safety deposit box which was a bit of a pain. My only other nag about the room was that the air conditioning was pretty poor- even turned up full blast it was still pretty warm but it was a minor thing overall.

Breakfast was very nice- self service buffet, although you have to be quick as I don't think they replace the stock once its been used One morning we came down about 9.15am and the choices were pretty limited. The banana pancake is nice though.

The hotel is pretty much near the centre of Hoi An old town and is on a strip of restaurants and cafes. Its a 5 min walk over the bridge to the centre. For eating I would recommend the Riverside Lounge 5 mins walk from the hotel and the Tam Tam Cafe for desserts was great, which is in the middle of the Old Town. The hotel has free bikes you can use- which is a nice day out (we cycled to the beach).

Overall this hotel was big, clean and excellent value. The location was excellent and the staff were friendly and helpful. For the money (around 25 pounds per night) it was excellent value for money.

2 Thank lainey_85
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2010

The staff here are so warm and friendly. Our room was really nice and very cheap. I would however opt for a room with a balcony next time. The breakfast buffet was really good too. This hotel has everything you need for a wonderful stay in hoian. free internet in each room is an added luxury!!!

Zủich
Reviewed 28 May 2010

Friedns had stayed in this 3 month hotel recently and recommended. My wife and I checked in for a 3 day period initially and ended up staying 12 days! This had a lot to do with the great town of Hoi An, but also the Long Life Riverside Hotel. Which didn't want to leave!

Clean, AWESOME value, pool, breakfast included, aircon, in room computer with internet, free bikes and a tailor which actually produces great quality garments.

The icing on the cake was when we went to settle our bill and were told that becasue we had stayed so long and used the tailor we could have a $6 per day discount, ultimately meaning we had 3 nights for free. I reckon that's alright!

Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2010

We stayed 3 nights in a deluxe riverview room. The hotel is very new and the room was huge (almost too big really!). King size bed which was fairly comfortable, desk with computer and free internet (also wifi in the room), sitting area, large ensuite with shower and big spa bath. Free daily water and fruit. No safe in the room (I'm sure the website says there is one). We found it fairly quiet other than during the week there is noise from about 7am from school children at the nearby school - to be honest this did not bother us as it was hot and we had the windows closed with the air-conditioning going - plus it is only the sound of children playing which is a pleasant noise. Buffet breakfast with cook to order dishes as well - very nice! Lovely swimming pool area.

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel, the staff were friendly and helpful (think there's still perhaps some teething problems and the hotel seems unfinished in parts?) the position was fantastic on the river on the opposite bank to the Old Town, walk across the bridge and you're in the thick of the action.

For the price we could not fault it - would definitely consider staying there again for a future holiday.

1 Thank Kru-6