“Be aware, they will try to charge you”
Review of Hoa My Hotel

Hoa My Hotel
Ranked #147 of 258 Hoi An B&B and Inns
“Be aware, they will try to charge you”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Be aware, they make a lot of "mistake" on the minibar and the laundry you have. They usually are mean and unhappy, but still, sometimes you'll get a smile if you're lucky. There is no room cleaning. The location and the price are ok. Considerating whats around i recommand this place, but it's because there's nothing better around.

• Stayed June 2011

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
korea
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I'm not sure whether the woman in reception is the real owner or not.
But, she told me, she's the owner.

It was motor taxi who brought me to this hotel.
At the time of check in, we agreed $10 per night for the 2 beds room.
It seemed there was no other room.
Room and the other staffs are ok.

The next day morning, around 9am, phone ring.
The woman in reception, asked me to change the room to 1bed room.
If not, they will charge me $15 per night.

I said no.
I felt unpleasant.
Cause, her way of asking was quite rude.
More like threatening.

And the next next day morning, around 8am.
The woman in reception, came to my room and asking me to leave the room.
And she said, she will give another room instead after 2 hours.
I said no again.
Then, she got angry.

This is like this.
The night bus from Nha Trang, arrives in front of this hotel every morning.
So, to get more guests, they arrange all the rooms in the morning.
Even, they ask checked-in guests to change the room.
If, the guest don't accept, she get angry.

If you complain, she will going to ask you where you're from.
Then, she will say, she going to remember your nationality.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank strawrimp

Travellers are raving about these Hoi An hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We stayed here two nights after moving from the hotel next door we were suitably impressed with Hoa My as the staff were so much friendlier, rooms bigger and cleaner all for the same price (US$10) as next door. Our room was beautiful with high ceilings and a balcony, having a bathroom with a shower/bath was a treat as most of the places we've stayed in SE Asia had bathrooms the size of broom cupboards. We were happy with the laundry service at $1 per kilo. We booked a driver to Da Nang airport through reception, which was a few dollars cheaper than what we'd been quoted elsewhere.
Very happy with our stay.

Room Tip: Double room with balcony above the entrance!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Middle of the road hostelry. Smallish room, clean.
15 minute walk to Japanese Bridge and main attractions. 5 minute walk to Restaurant 43 - the best we found in Vietnam.
Picked up by two motor scooters from bus drop off....but f.o.c..
Staff helpful.
Decent breakfasts ('American').
None of the problems recorded in other reviews.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GreyfoxSussex
Nha Trang
Reviewed 6 January 2011

This place is clean, has nice rooms and reasonable prices, but the staff are pushy, tourist bookings seemed more expensive and most importantly they actually stole money from our money belts that we deposited at the safe in the reception area!

After the receptionist warned us of how 'dangerous' Hoi An is, we counted our money before depositing it at the reception. When we got it, we had to rush to catch a bus and just did a cursory check. Later I found they had stolen one $20 in Canadian and one $10 Singaporean... The only two bills I had many of... Very sneaky!

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank manzoid
Lismore, Australia
Reviewed 4 January 2011

While the rooms were not to bad for a budget hotel, and the staff (mainly Long) were helpful when my children were sick, in retrospect I realise that we should never have booked tours and other transport with them. Their undisclosed commissions are very high -we paid $9 each for rail tickets. The price on the actual tickets (which were only given to us with our passports when we departed) said they cost $3 each. Goodness knows what commission we paid for the air tickets we booked. Our mistake, the kids were sick, and it seemed so easy for them to do it for us. I am happy to pay commission, but should have been more alert to the actual costs. I have learned my lesson. It has left an unpleasant feeling on what was otherwise a reasonable stay.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 January 2011

stayed here for $10 a night which seemed too good to be true, and we were right. They recommended a tailors, kimmys which they say is the "best & cheapest in hoi an" but turns out they are the most expensive & the worst (they pressurise you to settle for one of their already created designs instead of help you find what they want, and even re-creating one of their own designs is hard for them, I wouldn't even call them a tailors,the sales people clearly didn't know what they were doing, so don't go to Kimmys "tailors" either!!). They wouldn't help us confirm our bus because we already have the open ticket, and she then sent us to the wrong place when we asked where we needed to go to confirm it, not helpful at all. It turned out they only help confirm buses for people who buy their ticket through them cos they charge an extra $6+ for bus tickets, which we found out cos one of our friends enquired about a bus ticket, they booked it for her even though she didn't ask to book, she later found another hotel selling it for $6 cheaper so told them she didn't wana book with them cos too expensive but they told her they'd already booked it and when she asked for it to be cancelled they threatened to keep her passport and turned nasty, we saw the one of the receptionists being nasty to her and they would then point and laugh whenever we came in and made her in particular feel very uncomfortable. we all checked into another hotel the night after as we didn't trust them at all.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends