“Rude angry receptionist ruined our stay here.”
Review of Hoa My Hotel

Hoa My Hotel
Ranked #176 of 292 Hoi An B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 August 2011

The good.
We had a room on the top floor which was quiet, free internet, clean, lovely lovely laundry ladies! Pretty clean.

The bad.
Our room leaked in the rain, leaving a giant puddle of water in our bedroom.

The ugly.
The lady on reception is horrible. She is rude and tells lies. On the day we were leaving she rang our room at 6.45am to tell us to get up and get out of our room (check out is at 10!) She told us we needed to be down to pay the bill as we had to catch a bus, which made me cross as I had offered to settle the bill the night before so there was no rush. We went back to bed for about ten minutes before she called again! Getting quite irrate when we said we'd be down when we were ready, in the end we unplugged the phone...
We ended up waiting in reception for 2 hours for our bus, which had been delayed due to flooding! In this time she was able to turn the rooms around ready for the people getting off the bus which we were getting on. Very sneaky. We were saddened that she ruined our stay in this way and treated us badly. She also tried to flog us places to get clothes made and didn't appreciate it when we didn't want to take her advice. We basically tried to avoid her and she treated us poorly when she realised the only money we would make her was the room rate.

Go next door (as you are looking at the hotel, the one on the right) - they may all be linked, but we had our breakfast there most days and they are much more friendly and rumour has it, it even has a pool!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 July 2011

We arrived, like most, due to our bus stopping outside Hoa My hotel. Our room looked great for $10 and we got a receipt to confirm the price. They held our passports and wouldn't return them after they were registered with the police unless we paid them money. In the morning someone tried to get into our room and as we walked out at lunch time we were told to leave our room. There was a leak. We are sent to an awful hotel they own. We are told another room in Hoa My will be free at 4pm. We check the room. They're not leaving for days. We meet a couple who are moving into our room in 30 mins??? I question the really rude and screaming receptionist who is adamant we're leaving. I explain we want to simply swap with the couple. Everything is sorted out after much swearing at me and my girlfriend in Vietnamese ( among some of the only words i happen to know). When we check out after 3 days they try and charge us more for non existent mini bar items which i had taken a photo of encase of such a tactic.

Everyone i reception that day had experienced some form of theft, price increase, eviction or abuse. This is the worst place I've ever stayed in all the countries I've traveled.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank styles_c
Reviewed 18 July 2011

we arrived here , having booked 2 nights... the morning after the first night reception called, saying they have to fix the room and they will transfer us to another room in the hotel...half an hour later, when a new sleeping bus from nha trang arrives, we see the staff showing the room whe just slept in and had to evacuate... just to show them a room... when we came back in the evening, they told they hadn't had the time to fix the room, and we have to go to another 'same same' hotel in the neighbourhood... just then a group of girls came to the reception and asked the key to the same room, of which they had just said to be empty for fixing... we confronted them with their lies, and got some discount, but got transferred anyway, and the other hotel was not at all equal, but truly disgusting. dishonest people.don't go there

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nicolasdebruyne
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Be aware, they make a lot of "mistake" on the minibar and the laundry you have. They usually are mean and unhappy, but still, sometimes you'll get a smile if you're lucky. There is no room cleaning. The location and the price are ok. Considerating whats around i recommand this place, but it's because there's nothing better around.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 30 May 2011

I'm not sure whether the woman in reception is the real owner or not.
But, she told me, she's the owner.

It was motor taxi who brought me to this hotel.
At the time of check in, we agreed $10 per night for the 2 beds room.
It seemed there was no other room.
Room and the other staffs are ok.

The next day morning, around 9am, phone ring.
The woman in reception, asked me to change the room to 1bed room.
If not, they will charge me $15 per night.

I said no.
I felt unpleasant.
Cause, her way of asking was quite rude.
More like threatening.

And the next next day morning, around 8am.
The woman in reception, came to my room and asking me to leave the room.
And she said, she will give another room instead after 2 hours.
I said no again.
Then, she got angry.

This is like this.
The night bus from Nha Trang, arrives in front of this hotel every morning.
So, to get more guests, they arrange all the rooms in the morning.
Even, they ask checked-in guests to change the room.
If, the guest don't accept, she get angry.

If you complain, she will going to ask you where you're from.
Then, she will say, she going to remember your nationality.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank strawrimp
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We stayed here two nights after moving from the hotel next door we were suitably impressed with Hoa My as the staff were so much friendlier, rooms bigger and cleaner all for the same price (US$10) as next door. Our room was beautiful with high ceilings and a balcony, having a bathroom with a shower/bath was a treat as most of the places we've stayed in SE Asia had bathrooms the size of broom cupboards. We were happy with the laundry service at $1 per kilo. We booked a driver to Da Nang airport through reception, which was a few dollars cheaper than what we'd been quoted elsewhere.
Very happy with our stay.

Room Tip: Double room with balcony above the entrance!