“SCAM SCAM SCAM !!!!”

Ranked #159 of 270 Hoi An B&B and Inns
Port Macquarie, New South Wales, Australia
“SCAM SCAM SCAM !!!!”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

The hotel is very unclean and noisy. The lady behind the front desk just wants your money. She scammed us of 3,000,000 dong taking the payment twice off a credit card then denied doing it. Stay away from this place bad news!!!!! Now going to have to try and get the money back through our bank back home.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kate L
Hoamy44, Manager at Hoa My Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2012
Warmest greeting from Hotel .

We would like to express out thankfulness to have you stay with us as well as your comment on TripAdvisor .

According to your comment , we would like to confirm that your credit card account in my hotel.
On 13/10/2012 you had paid for us by credit card. The sytem of the machine did not signal on the fist timer by the reception. On the second time you take the card to do it by your self, all shown in the bill: 3.065.000VND.
When we had your telephone from Nha Trang, We went to the bank to check your missing account, the bank confirmed and gave me a receitp, We had the bank receitp is 3.065.000đong (no any more)
I am still keeping the bank receitp now.
All of things we sent to you true information.Once more time, I hope you will double check the England bank when you come back home.
Im looking forward to hearing from you soon. You would mind giving me your feedback with my own email add: hoamyhotel2003@yahoo.com.
Hoa My Manager.
Nguyen Thi Muoi

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Southport, Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2012

We stayed at their new hotel at 44 Tran Cao Van, it was on a quieter lane and it had an indoor swimming pool where the water was lovely and cool after a hot day. This hotel was a bit closer to the centre and opposite 2 Tripadisor good restaurants Cafe 43 and Cafe 41 both very good cheap eating places. Handy if it is raining. Our room was on thee top floor with a balcony that had a fish pond and a beautiful bonzai garden. We enjoyed having breakfast out there in the cooler mornings. Having to go down and pick up the breakfast was a minor detail. For $20 Aus a night it was great value, the breakfasts were basic but tasty and included.

Room Tip: This hotel does not have a lift, all rooms were large and the beds soft. The balcony rooms overlook...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Nottingham
Reviewed 31 August 2012

I really do wish I'd read some of the reviews on Trip Advisor before staying at this hotel.

We booked our onward journey and paid our bill in full the day before we travelled to Hanoi. After celebrating our last night in Hoi An we returned to the hotel shortly before midnight. The night porter came down the stairs (which seemed odd) and let us in. He then gave us our passports back, without us asking, also odd. We got into our room and noticed that one or two things were in different places to where they had been before we went out for the night. We ALWAYS take the hotel key with us, but it was clear that someone had been in the room.

Someone (as with another person that reviewed this hotel) had been into one of our bags (a very thorough search I hasten to add, that I believe had not just occurred the once) and found where we kept our International currency. Not all of the money was taken - a selection of US$ Malaysian Ringett, UK£... but not all of it... so if we hadn't been suspicious we wouldn't have checked properly. The thief left our Chinese currency. Strange!?!?! Oh, the reason we knew someone had been in the room was that our laptop had been moved. This wasn't stolen... because that would have been too obvious.

A very agitated and ranting night porter eventually understood that I wanted to talk to the manager. Strange how his demeanour had changed when we came back down to reception saying that someone had been in our room and we had been robbed. The manager refused to call the police, so instead I did. They eventually arrived 2 hours later but were of little help.

The manageress constantly stated that she was the only person who had access to the spare keys to get into the room. Odd, because I'm sure that many a guest has returned late at night without their key and needed the night porter to let them in. The next morning the assistant manageress continued with the same line, that only the manageress had access to the spare keys. Right....

The final blow was when handing over the room-keys the assistant manageress asked if we'd used the mini-bar. We explained that we had and that we'd already paid out bill in full. As we left the hotel she shouted to us to come back because something had been taken from the mini-bar.... now we're the common thieves... that is until she checked that we had already paid. As we'd stated.

Don't stay here. It's not just that money was stolen BUT the way that they reacted. There was no questioning of their staff and all of the blame was on us.... which means that the same person is free to do the same again and again... as I've unfortunately just read from other reviews......

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Martin C

Travellers are raving about these Hoi An hotels

Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Sadly I am to report that we had money stolen from our hotel room at Hoa My, Ly thoung Kiet St.
The door was definitely locked when we left (we have been travelling for a year now) and so the only explanation was it was someone who had a key and access to the room. Because the money (dollars, pounds and ringett. Strangely the Chinese Yuan was left behind) was inside a document wallet in a rucksack we believe that a member of staff had been into the room previously and knew where to go. Other items were left behind (laptop, ipod). Uncoincidently we paid our bill today as we are checking out tomorrow.

The staff were in complete denial and were very reluctant to help, eventually a receptionist was called who was able to translate for us, even then it took a lot of debating before the police were finally called.

We had stayed at the hotel before, with 6 other members of our family and returned a month later for a further 6 nights.
Unfortunately the reaction of the staff this evening means I would never recommend anyone to stay here.
Unhelpful, accusatory and rude.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank clarkes_in_asia
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Okay- here is the deal guys! There are two Hoa My Hotels. One that apparently sucks and one that is great!

The one that I stayed at is Hoa My Hotel II on Tran Cao Van. IT DOES HAVE A SWIMMING POOL. Breakfast is not included but there is food around, including Cafe 43 right across the street and they are amazing. We saw the reviews for this hotel and were so confused. Half are great, half are terrible. Finally after some research we found out that Hoa My II is the hotel with the pool so we assumed it was the nicer one. We were right. We were greeted by a fluent English speaking host who led us to our room. It was the biggest room we have had in Vietnam. Huge bed. Very clean and everything felt new. The shower was even separate from the bathroom which is sooo rare in Vietnam.

The receptionist did mention tours but was not pushy at all and when we declined and just rented a motorbike, they helped us with directions and were very nice. The pool is inside and quite nice. Cleaned daily and warm.

Negatives would be that the AC, although it was on, was not strong enough to cool such a large room very well. Hoi An is SO hot and the room was always quite warm but there is a nice fan too. The room was not serviced (we stayed two nights). It was not a big deal to us but some people would maybe not like this. Also, wifi didn't work well in our room. We had to use it downstairs. We were on the top floor though.

All in all, I would totally recommend this place. The staff are English speaking and very very helpful. Great location, within walking distance from everything. Clean and new.

We paid $14 for an AC room.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2012 via mobile

We opted for Hoa My guesthouse as we had just arrived off the night bus from Nha Trang and were very tired. There was a mini bus waiting in the bus terminal to take people to the hotel, quite a few people from our bus took this option as the leaflet promised breakfast and a swimming pool all priced at $10 for a double room. (Turns out breakfast was not included and there was no swimming pool.)

One of the few good points was that on arrival the staff were friendly and got everyone checked in quickly and into a room even though it was only 7am. However, we were then told that the room cost $12, we questioned this but we were not in a position to argue as we were simply too tired!

The room was large and had two double beds, even though we only needed one, and the AC worked quite well. I was quite pleasantly surprised to see that there was a bath tub in the bathroom, however, on closer inspection, the bath was filthy and has some sort of rust marks in the bottom. The shower was always cold and the tap didn't work properly.

The most annoying point about this hotel is that EVERYTIME you pass reception they try to get you to go to a specific tailor that they must get commission from and EVERYTIME you arrive back to the hotel they ask if you went to the tailors yet!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank nicolajane24
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We were taken here from the bus station and were taken to the new hotel (the one with the swimming pool), there are 2 in town. We had a room for 10 usd with a balcony, big room, a/c, hot water and a nice bathroom (with luxurious bathtub). It was very clean and not noisy.
The lady at the reception gave us info and recommended some tailors (Kimmy and binh hi). We looked at some more expensive tailors (Kimmy is one of them) and chose Kimmy by ourselves as well. We had very nice suits made for around 100 usd. Binh hi is cheaper (also for suits and dresses etc).
The location of the hotel is fine, 10 min walk to the river but you can also rent a bike for 1 usd. Across the hotel is cafe 43, which has very good food for cheap prices so that is also a plus :)

We had a great experience at the hotel, very friendly staff and a great room!

• Stayed June 2012