“Excellent service, rooms and clean facilities and staff service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunflower Hotel

Sunflower Hotel
Ranked #161 of 244 Hoi An B&B and Inns
london
“Excellent service, rooms and clean facilities and staff service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

Very good hotel. Excellent staff, friendly ad very helpful on every aspect. Hotel well located midway between the beach and the old town. 10 mins bicycle ride to both of them or free bus hotel bus shuttle to old town through out the day. Very happy with the 2 nights I spent at the hotel

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank jorge-London

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Hebrew first
Brooklyn, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

I think if you know what you're walking into at Sunflower, you'll be fine, but I also think that the Trip Advisor Reviews are very misleading.

Based on these reviews, we thought Sunflower was a really, really nice 2 star hotel, almost 3 star. It is not. The staff is incredibly nice and way better than what you'd expect at a 2 star - I almost hate to write this review because the staff was so nice and accommodating even after we left, but if the reviews here were more accurate, I would have saved both us and the hotel some aggravation.

We were shown 2 different rooms before we decided the Sunflower was not for us, so I can safely say that while the room floors and sheets are cleaner than your average 2 star hotel, the walls in the hallway are filthy, the fans in the rooms are coated with a layer of dust that it has not even occurred to anyone to clean in quite some time, the wall paint in the rooms is peeling off, and in the first room they put us in, the bathroom walls above the shower tiles had molded over. The front desk worker said this was due to water damage, but so what? Mold smells and is not an indication of real cleanliness.

I thought, based on the TA reviews and the prices (which are high for a 2 star in Vietnam), that this was going to be a great find. Turns out the prices are more indicative of value for dollar in Hoi An (which can be a costly town) than a reflection of what you'll get at Sunflower.

Bottom line: if you expect average 2 star digs, you'll actually be pleased. If you expect anything more than that, you should probably stay somewhere else and save everyone a headache.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank watchourstep
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2011

We were dropped off by the bus travel company in Hoi An and once we alighted, we were Swarmed with people asking us to check into their hotels, including this one. they even offered something even more ridiculous to begin with, pick up service to anywhere within Hoi An. (which some 5 star hotels in other cities i have stayed before don't even have it) so i thought this was too good to be true and persuaded my friend to go to the original hotel down the road which we originally intended to stay in.

But i was wrong, this was the best hotel you could get, excellent service, staff in the lobby spoke great english and was very friendly and will strike a conversation with you / greet you at the door when you arrive back at the hotel. and best of all, free shuttle service to and from the hotel to anywhere in Hoi An town just a phone call away.

the rooms are spacious and clean, no frills, with a great swimming pool. this is the best value you could get!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
kingy83
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2011

After an awful nights stay at another hotel in town we booked into The Sunflower.We were a bit apprehensive after our last experience but we shouldn't have worried. Staff greated us on arrival asked us which room we'd prefer and away we went.

The room was small but very clean they're were even fresh flowers left on the beds for us. Location is in the middle of the beach and town - but you can hire bikes right outside for 1 dollar a day (just be careful because we think the bike lady took our key and then charged us for losing it!)

Pool area was great and breakfast was buffet style.

The service made our trip what it was and we messed the lady about over our open bus tickets but she answered all our hundreds of questions and made us feel like we were no trouble at all.

Hoi An is one of the best places to go in Vietnam and so id thid hotel. STAY THERE :-)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2011

Where do I begin?
Some fellow travelers raved about staying here, so when I came to town, I checked it out and immediately loved it's sweeping staircase, smiling staff, and lovely pool in the back. It got better as I got more acquainted with the place.

The rooms are spacious, the halls extra wide, so you feel
Ike royaly. At the end of each hallway, the views are picturesque.

The ladies I had met had happily mentioned the breakfast buffet that is included with your stay. I was wondering how good can it be? Well folks, it is excellent. So much to choose from AND, they change it up each day. This foodie was impressed.

The staff are wonderful, so happy! My first night, I ordered room service because I was a bit tired from the daylong motorcycle ride. The woman who came to my door was so sweet and helpful, she brought a big smile to the face of this weary traveler.
Any questions or needs were tended to with the utmost of care and consideration by all the staff.

It is located is between town and the beach so one needs a scooter, bicycle or cab to get to where the "action" is, and this was fine with me. Accessible to everything in under10 minutes with my scooter. Oh, they offer free personalized shuttle service that I didn't use, but was told it comes in just a few minutes.

I had a lovely room with a balcony overlooking the pool. It was one of those kind of rooms that you enjoy hanging out in.......comfortable, clean and pleasant. TV with tons of channels in English, a giant armoir, and water that ran well and hot in seconds. There was a fridge and hot pot too. The management has really done the details with this one. Even the red "nightlight" lamp made me more comfortable when going to sleep.

I had to leave Hoi An to meet up with a friend in HCM, and it was hard to leave this place that I SO enjoyed. Thinking about going back during this trip, I really enjoyed the time I called The Sunflower "home".

I keep thinking of more positives to share, but I better stop here. Don't want the price to go up the next time I roll into town. :)

Room Tip: Pay a bit more for the balcony, SO nice.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Acquablue
wendell nc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2011

staff very helpfull,great food, they do not accept any credit cards

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Enkhuizen, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2011

For everyone who like the beach, a not sleeping city and a beautiful area need to go to Hoi An. We rent a scooter and crossed around in the area of Hoi An. The Sunflower Hotel was the perfect place to stay. The people are very helpfull in explaining the good places and routes. In case you want to do something, they are willing to organize it for you. The location was perfect, although we did a lot of things with the scooter, we walked also to beach (30 min.) and town (15 min.).
Maybe more important: the room, hotel itself and the breakfast area are clean! Very nice to start and end your day. And not to forget: the swimming pool!!

We were more than happy to stay here and will come back here in future!

Room Tip: Be honest about what you want
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple