“Great service and value for money” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunflower Hotel

Sunflower Hotel
Ranked #161 of 244 Hoi An B&B and Inns
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great service and value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

We were recommend this hotel by a local expat - good value for money and friendly helpful service
Really noisy group in one night but staff quietied them down and the next morning the owner was at breakfast apologing to everyone -you don't often get that sort of service
Great breakfast good buffet selection that changed daily lovely to be able to sit outside by the pool.
Clean tidy rooms. Get one higher up with its own wee balcony You can leave the doors open for fresh air -quite safe
Hire pushbikes from the lovely lady outside
Enjoy Hoian

1 Thank jen_bri17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Hebrew first
Chiang Mai, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

The hotel is nice specially for it's price. Good and clean rooms, nice little pool with sunbeds, good breakfast, location not to bad if you rent a bicycle, but the staff was terrible (with maybe some exceptions). Me and my husband are a mixed couple (Asian and European) the staff made suggestions like I was paying my husband for the night. On the first night when we went upstairs together they started speaking Vietnamese to him on a very rude tone like he wasn't a paid guest or something and the next day a comment "oh you are that girl with that man". Behind our backs (at least that is what they thought) they were laughing, pointing and making funny faces. It made us feel really uncomfortable and had a big influence on what could have been a very nice stay. So our tip to the owner: Some new employees with a good and honest heart.

Room Tip: We had the room straight above the swimingpool which was not to big but clean, nice and had a little...
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Hoi An hotels

Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

At first glance this hotel was great, but after 3 days we had enough negative experiences that made us feel like we were viewed as an exploitable resource. The worst of the experiences were two small cases of theft, which on their own, could have been excused as mistakes, but combined together, and compounded with exorbitant over charging for a bus trip (10 times the local price), made us feel a little dirty. We don't mind when we have to take tourist prices at the hotels, but theft and drastic inflation is hard to palate. Hoi An has inflated prices in general, but not to the degree we were duped by Sunflower Hotel.

• Stayed February 2012
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I booked this hotel knowing that it was a 30 minutes walk from the center of the city. I did not mind the walk, only the 10 000 people on the way asking me if I wanted to rent a bicycle or go by motobike.

The breakfast was very good. The restrooms stinks.

The room I was given had a balcony and the doors to access it were impossible to lock. Conclusion : I was awake at 6:30am every morning because of the noise outside (and some people talking in a microphone all day long, very annoying).

The most disappointing issue of my stay is that at the end, the front desk personnel asked me if I had taken anything from the minibar. I had a couples of things, and I told them. They didn't believe me and thy show me my trash can to prove me I had more. The thing is, I bought the other things by myself outside the hotel. I didn't want to make a scene, but they were accusing me for something I didn't do.

Also, one of my bottle of water disappeared, as some plastic bags. I feel very harsh, but these kind of thing should never happen in an hotel.

• Stayed February 2012
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

Stayed for 4 nights, good Breakfast, free shuttle to City Center (every 30mins), friendly staff, good and clean rooms for fair/good price, free internet - good value

Room Tip: street is rather quiet at night, would take a room in the upper floor(s) as the restaurant is in the...
1 Thank Andreas S
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

This hotel is slightly bigger and has a little less personality than the ones we love. Nonetheless, the room and the bathroom are VERY clean, you have a real shower (if you've been to Vietnam, you know what I mean), breakfast is a feast, and the friendly staff can help you with whatever you might need. There are 4 computers with free internet and there's a little restaurant that serves good food. If you want to walk to the center it takes only 20 mins, otherwise you can take the free shuttle.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank annina_q
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

This hotel is located 30 minutes walk outside the town centre or a pleasant 10 min cycle. When we arrived there were no taxis avalible so we had to walk all the way there with our oversized backpakcks.

When we arrived they gave us a room which was very loud due to it's location beside the breakfast area. It smelt of damp and had no natural light and overall looked quite depressing for $17 so we asked for a new room.
After some arguing with the front desk we were given a small room in the attic which was a lot quieter, with a small window so we could get some natural light into the room but certainly not worth the money.

The window in the attic room couldn't close properly and the sink in the bathroom was bloked the whole time we were there. It was cleaned every day but never reported as a fault. There was no bath mat so if you weren't careful you could slip and really hurt yourself.

There were only thin sheets on the bed and we had to ask for duvets which were brought up to the room straight away. In the days that followed nobody asked how the room was or if we were enjoying our stay.

The first three nights were booked through Expedia but we wanted to extend our stay for one more night, because we liked Hoi An. The receptionist told us straight away that she could match the rate we paid online and that she would hold the room. I didn't think they could do that but we were delighted with it.

On check out we were charged a completely different rate for the last night. Expedia have their rates and if you want to book through the hotel, they will have different room rates. The receptionist wasn't aware of that and promised something she couldn't deliver, so we had to argue with the manager yet again.

The breakfast is amazing if you GO EARLY!! The first morning we came down it was an hour before it finished and all we could get was cold filtered coffee. The problem with the breakfast area in general is that it is unmantained. There was only one person there busy making eggs and pancakes while the dirty dishes were piling up on the tables and the food trays were empty. The first morning we left the breakfast area and went next door to the resturant for a proper breakfast.

On the second morning before 9am we were awoken by three men on the third floor hammering away into a contrate wall. Why this could not wait until the afternoon is anyones guess??

Overall, it was a very fustrating stay having to deal with unaccommodating, unfriendly staff that have never heard of integrity, basic customer service and a bit of common sense.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple