“Coconut tours - food and culture”
Review of Coconut Tours

Coconut Tours
Ranked #30 of 151 Outdoor Activities in Hoi An
More attraction details
Owner description: Phuoc offers cycling tours with a foodie edge, cooking classes run from the kitchen of his riverside thatched cottage. And now Eat Hoi An - a street food adventure visiting the best of Hoi An's street food carts and introducing you to his old family friends, the faces behind the flavours. Coconut Tours Hoi An aims to take you away from the ordinary and put you in the middle of the extraordinary. Fantastic tour itineraries at prices that won't break your budget.
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I found coconut tours on trip advisor and arranged with the friendly and knowledgeable Phuoc online a food tour and a cooking 'event'. everything went smooth and we were picked up at our hotel on time and went by bike to the markets for a much needed (by me) introduction and understanding to the food markets. If only we had done something similar in the other countries we have travelled I am sure we would have appreciated our travels even more. Anyway, after the markets, beck to the farm, met the family, and a wonderful old man who was the head of the family, and much appreciated by all - family, community, and nation. We then had our cooking lessons and ate a great meal, partially cooked by ourselves. The next evening Phuoc took my wife, myself, and a photo-journalist on a tour of Hoi An's street food. It was enjoying, some-times eye-opening (snails and other unmentionables) and (full)filling.
If you get a chance do a tour with Phuoc - you will not be disappointed - he is good!!!

1  Thank Billzi
There are newer reviews for Coconut Tours

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Whilst we had some free time during our visit to Hoi An, our guide suggest we try Coconut Tours. The owner, Phuoc, met us at our hotel and and took us by cyclo through the streets of Hoi An out to his grandparents home and village. Phuoc then walked us around the neighbouring gardens of vegetables and herbs explaining how the locals grow these crops organically and we even put our hand to planting and watering the seedlings the Vietnamese way.

Upon returning to the village we were treated to a food and shoulder massage. We also got to meet his grandfather who was awarded many awards during the American War. We learnt to cook 3 dishes and enjoyed tucking into them before we cycled back to Hoi An. So if you have some free time in Hoi An, do yourself and your stomach a favour and book Coconut Tours and meet Phuoc. Great guy and is passionate about cooking and offering his customers a memorable day.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

We had a great day! Phouc met us at our hotel and we went to the city center. At the market, he led us through and explained many of the foods, from the fresh fish to meat, to herbs. We threw a bunch of food in our market baskets and rode bikes out to the countryside to Phouc's families home. Here, we made a great lunch with the items we bought. It was great! We also ventured out behind the house to the towns' farming plot where they were growing herbs. We got to farm a bit, which was fun. The girls who accompanied us were friendly and helpful. One was the sister of Phouc. The food was fantastic. After lunch, we had massages. Finally, after lunch and relaxation, we biked back into town. Phouc was nice enough to walk around Hoi An with us and show us the sites! This isn't your traditional cooking class. Getting to go to the market made it great, as did the short bike ride and rural setting.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I met with Phuoc the day before my class to explain what I was looking for: a market tour but also a class to show me some dishes not common on menus in Vietnam, rather, dishes often done at home. I was lucky that he didn't have another booking that day, so we did a one-on-one class. I loved being able to ask him about Vietnamese culture and history. The kitchen is a lovely ride out through the countryside, and Phuoc is very committed to organic ingredients. The organic chicken he chose for our class had by far the tastiest meat I've had from a chicken.

I do a lot of cooking myself and have given classes, so I was looking for a customized experience and got exactly that. Don't feel shy to ask for a specialized class to fit your needs - Phuoc will do exactly that!

1  Thank EatnDrinknRoamn
Reviewed 1 February 2014

My husband and I were excited to come to Hoi An for the amazing good we've heard about here and thought it would be a great place to take a cooking course. Because of Tet, many places were not offering them this week, but we were recommended to Phuoc at Coconut Tours and we were so happy it all worked out. Since the market is closed for Tet, he took us by bike to his grandparents' house and to the organic farm a short walk away to learn about the herbs and veggies. We watered some rows of plants and helped to plant so new ones. Then we did some prep for our dishes and learned how to cook spring rolls, bahn xeo, and mackerel with tumeric in banana leaves. All were delicious and easy to make. It was great to have a private lesson (especially for $25 each) and we got a cook book with the recipes plus some more to take home with us. We even got an herbal foot massage after eating what we had prepared! Phuoc is a true professional and a great host.