“Appalling. Why didn't I check TripAdvisor?!”
Review of Thien Trung Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hoi An
Thien Trung Hotel
Ranked #153 of 159 Hotels in Hoi An
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Do yourself a favor: do not stay here.

Yes, you can get a $10 room but I have no doubt that you could find a better $10 room elsewhere in Hoi An. The staff were rude and seemed to view guests as an unwelcome irritation rather than welcomed visitors. I was taken to a dark and slightly damp room on the first floor. I was exhausted after a 12hr sleeper bus ride and a cursory glance made me think it would be acceptable. This was a mistake.

On closer inspection (post check-in) I found the linen was stained, the bed seriously uncomfortable, the bathroom only just acceptably clean (and I mean 'only just'), the A/C didn't work and neither did the Wi-fi. The bathroom light made an irritating buzzing noise when turned on, the hot water ran out quickly and the view from my very stiff window was of a concrete wall, one meter away, on the other side of a dark and damp rear access alley. The owner made no attempt to fix the A/C or Wi-fi and became aggressive when I pushed the issue. I agree with the comments of previous reviewers about the female staff having very loud phone conversations late in the evening and would add that the owner has a penchant for watching the football in the lobby with the volume turned up to 11.

Were there any positives to this dump? Only that it reminded me that TripAdvisor should always be consulted before check-in; previous poor reviews were spot on. Without a shadow of a doubt the service specifically, and the hotel generally, was the worst I experienced in Vietnam, a truly wonderful country.

Don't be tempted by the OK looking street facade - walk on by because any other hotel would be an improvement.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. Any other hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Solotraveller2301

Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

Unbelievably obnoxious people.

I got dumped here by my motorbike guide and despite the fact that the room was a complete dump, with bloodstains on the sheets I was too tired to look for another room. My outside room wind facef a wall one meter away.

I accidentally, of course list my room key, they handed me a keyring with the keys to every room in the hotel. When I told then the key was not on my room they started yelling at me and told me I had to leave. I had no intention of staying anyway.

Then they started screaming, MUST PAY FOR KEY. I had every intent on paying of they would just stop yelling long enough to tell me what abusive charge this $1 key was going to cost me.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank jim s
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The bus company Nam Phu'o'ng dumped a small group of four western tourists on the sidewalk in front of this hotel, and pretended there was no bus station beyond, which was a lie. The owner aggressively pursued us with a promise of $10 rooms. It was a hike in an unfamiliar town with our backpacks to the hotel we'd pre-arranged, and we were tired after twelve hours on the sleeper bus, so we considered staying. He showed us a dingy room with two beds on the second floor with grubby furniture, and quoted $15. I said "Where are the $10 rooms?" He showed us a room on the first floor with one bed that wasn't so bad, although the window had obviously been jimmied by a previous attempt at a break-in. He was very bad tempered, especially when two of the tourists decided to walk downtown looking for something better. After we registered the air con didn't work and neither did the wifi. He'd already told us that the rooms included hot showers, air con and wifi. He told us the restaurant across the road was connected with the hotel and would give a 20% discount after 5 p.m.; they denied the discount and the relationship and said they weren't even open until 7. In the evening he demanded an extra charge to turn on the air con, and made no attempt to fix the wifi. When I tried to remind him of his check-in promises with him he had a tantrum and told us we should look for another hotel in the morning - which we did.
As to sleeping, it's a busy road with lots of honking and street noise, but also the women staff holler at each other an into their phones at the top of their lungs quite late in the evening.
He's a sneaky, deceitful bad tempered man, unlike any previous experience we've had in Vietnam, which we love. The experience reminded us we should always check Tripadvisor before checking into any hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2013

"Thien Trung Hotel" was plush and had a 10 meter swimming pool ..Checked into room No 118 , the swimming pool just outside my room, classic, akin to a 5-star hotel.The charges were 10 U.S $ for a single room with attached bathe and television. They also have free wi-fi and internet services.The pool was clean, the water chill and the experience thrilling The room was spacious with a attached bathe and had a television.The hotel makes bookings for any packaged tour from Hoi An. They also rent cycles, a very convenient mode of transport for sightseeing this ancient heritage city.It is very conveniently located to the "Heritage town" and main shopping centres of Hoi An.

Room Tip: Chose a ground floor room or 1st floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night after taking the night bus from Nha Trang. We hadn't looked at reviews beforehand and I'm glad we didn't! We wouldn't have stayed here if we had.

For $10 we had a double ensuite room, with fan, fridge, and HOT water. There was also a swimming pool that was being used by other guests.

The lady who worked in the day was amazingly helpful. She gave us a map and directions to the old town (5 mins walk). We also hired bikes ($1) and rode to the beach (25 mins). The male members of staff were quite blunt/unfriendly in comparison. However, unless we had read reviews I don't think we would have noticed it as much.

The only thing I thought was confusing was the water in the fridge- there were no prices so you'd think they were complimentary(as you get this quite often in s.e. asia) but they are not. Also, they're exchange rate is really high/expensive in comparison to everywhere else. They charged our room at 21.5k dong to the $1. So rather than costing $10=200k it was $10=215k. I know this is nothing really but seeing as every other place charges 20k it was a bit odd.

Hotel has a lot of potential and its worth a stay just for the location.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 1 November 2013

The hotel itself is not too bad and at $12 a night was good value, but I'm not going to waste my time or anybody else's by promoting this place. It's an absolute disgrace. I would highly discourage anybody from staying here. Just down the road are a row of 3 restaurants and whilst eating breakfast in one of them, the lovely woman told me how her business is suffering because of this hotel. Ever since guests' things started going missing from hotel rooms, and bad reviews were written on here, fewer and fewer people would stay there and therefore walk past her restaurant. Its a real shame for them.
With that in mind I went back to my room and hid my camera, iPad and money belt. The room had already been serviced and nothing was missing so I felt content and left for the beach with my mate. As we did I vividly remember the 2 maids who were in the corridor asking me if I was going to the beach. When I returned the 500,000 dong that I left in my shorts back pocket on my bed was gone. It's only $25 but that is besides the point. It is the principal of the matter. A guest should be allowed to leave anything in the room and feel safe that it will remain there. The sign in the room stating that management will not be held responsible for anything stolen is an insult, as I have no doubts that management are fully involved in this whole saga. When approached, they said there is no proof, and they will point me to the police station, but after reading other peoples posts about laptops etc going missing and the police not helping, I couldn't see the point. I was very close to hitting the clown behind the desk and I would have been more than happy to do that for $25.
I tried to explain how stupid they were, because the place has a lot of potential, and if they eliminate the internal theft then the business could thrive and make legitimate income but they seemed uninterested. So I think that the hotel is there as a cover up for the operation to steal from tourists, and any money they make from selling a room is an added bonus.
This ruined my Hoi An experience and I would hate it to ruin anybody else's. DO NOT STAY HERE. This place shouldn't even be open.

Room Tip: A room at any other hotel in Hoi An would be my top traveler tip. This place is a joke!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Alex S
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed for 5 nights, ok it is a good price at $12 per night but oh my did we have a treat when every night cockroaches came up through the bathroom and into our bedroom! We heard them crawling round at night, it was so bad my boyfriend googled how to make a cockroach trap and we caught a couple but not all of them. On our 2nd to last day the manager or owner? Of the hotel had a lot of the baths taken out of the empty bedrooms we presume due to the infestation of cockroaches and other insects. They were all in disgusting condition - even for a budget hotel! The sheets and towels weren't changed, wifi was poor, staff unhelpful and extremely loud very early in a morning. Poor place is a lovely town. Go elsewhere, or be eaten by cockroaches!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple