“Do not stay here, worst Staff in hotel history!”
Review of Thien Trung Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Hoi An
Thien Trung Hotel
Ranked #159 of 167 Hotels in Hoi An
Reviewed 19 December 2010

Hi Folks, still recovering from one of the most bizarre incidents I ever experienced during my 9 years of traveling. Me and my girlfriend stayed at the Thien Trung hotel in Hoi An... from the exterior and the rooms themselves we thought we'd struck lucky. Only $10 a night for a very nice room... we stayed almost a week without incident then we left the room locked for about a half hour. During that time someone with a key entered the room went through my backpack and stole my DSLR (Nikon D90) plus accessories... They left everything else the way it was, passports, cash cards, ipod etc... nothing was touched. When I went to tell the staff they refused to believe what we were saying... they wouldn't even come to the room to look... while an argument ensued another guest came down and he'd also had his laptop stolen in the same manner. The staff refused to believe either of us or do anything about it. They wouldn't even phone the police.
The next morning we went to the local station to report the theft... we were sent to another station, then another and another... eventually we were on the outskirts of town at the 'investigation bureau' None of the police spoke English and we sat around for 1.5 hours waiting to speak to someone. Then the staff from the hotel came to the station. What happened next was most unbelievable... the staff actually called us liars and said that nothing was gonna happen because it would damage tourism in the town and their hotels name and they told us to leave now because the police were too tired!, then the police told us to get out. No report was made. So here we are in Danang still stunned and over $1000 worse off... So if anyone was thinking to stay in this hotel I highly recommend you don't!! check the name on tripadvisor... have never seen a place with so many negative reviews all complaining about the terrible attitude of their staff. Wish we'd read that earlier. If anyone has the camera offered to them for sale, my email is Ant9510@yahoo.co.uk would be happy to get it back and all the lost photos, maybe there's a saint out there.... they definitely don't work at the Thien Trung.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ant9510

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 December 2010

Upon initial inspection of this place it appears to be an excellent value. Large clean rooms with bathtubs and a nice pool outside. Do not be fooled! The week we stayed here there were arguments with the staff nearly every day, sometimes multiple times a day about thing missing from their room, being charged for things they didn't eat or drink and receiving wrong currency conversions upon checkout. Luckily we escaped without being ripped off; we didn't eat at the hotel drink anything from the mini fridge, and we checked out on a particularly loud morning when one poor couple had their laptop and $2000 camera stolen from their room. Probably 90% of the hotel guests checked out after seeing how the staff reacted, laughing it off and making no effort whatsoever, the staff dd not try to rip anybody off when there was a huge line of people checking out.

This is my first review I have done, and did so in hopes that I will prevent somebody being ripped off by these vultures.

We moved to the Dai Long Hotel, where I am writing this from now, and it is the best hotel we have stayed in in Vietnam.

• Stayed: December 2010
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 December 2010

I know this hotel has bad reviews, and I wish I had looked here before we stayed. The facilities are not bad but we had a terrible time. While we were here some of the other guests had a laptop and 2 cameras stolen. This hotel puts your passports in a safe and in the case of the thefts, the hotel staff REFUSED to give the guests their passports and actually locked the gates to the hotel compound so that guests could not get a claim filed. There was a terrible row! Every other guest we spoke with had been accused of stealing a remote, using excess bottled water and/or charged for trumped extras. We feel that the staff at this guesthouse are actively stealing from the guests.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Katmanduu
Reviewed 14 December 2010

The only thing this hotel offers is a cautionary tale of why you should always check TripAdvisor first. Rude, indifferent staff, no hot water, overcharging, wi-fi on the fritz and hotel computers made unavailable after 8 pm, rooms that are only just passable...you name it. The staff and owners clearly don't care about their guests other than as cash dispensers. Yes, it's cheap, but it's not worth it.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank limabeings
Reviewed 14 November 2010

I, too, should have read Tripadvisor about this hotel.

Unfortunately, it's monsooning outside, and the hotel that I had originally wanted to stay at was booked. That said, the motorbike driver told me (probably on commission by management here) that he'd drop me off at a cheap hotel - Thien Trung Hotel.

The manager or whoever the man is who sits at the entrance seems apathetic and easily offended if a guest is bothered with something. The staff isn't welcoming - it's just another group of people who want your money, period.

It's 9:30 pm and the staff have the television cranked up at the lobby - they seem to use the hotel as if it's their own house, which I don't mind, but I"ve been in countless hostels and hotels where the service met minimum standards of professionalism.

I stayed in their cheapest room ($8.00/night), which didn't come with basic toiletries such as toothbrush/paste, shampoo, etc. Not asking much, but again, even the last hostel I stayed in Vietnam had these things, and I paid $5 there.
The A/C in the room doesn't function.

I'm a bit wary of this place, I'm checking out tomorrow morning. Hopefully they won't rip me off. I've avoided eating here as well.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank lycheemango
Reviewed 16 September 2010

We stayed here because the hotel we originally headed for was full. We didn't check TripAdvisor first and wish we had. The hotel actually isn't bad, good rooms, seems clean. When we checked in the person behind the desk was very nice to us but once they had us, it all changed. Staff were too lazy and huffy to do anything for you. I was cleverly overcharged by the rude night receptionist when I checked out - she used a higher exchange rate to the USD! We were awoken every morning by the staff shouting amongst themselves. There were ants in our room and we killed two big cockroaches.
All in all, stay away.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HelenStonyStratford
Reviewed 12 September 2010

I signed up for TripAdvisor just so I could write a review on this hotel. The staff is extremely rude, they act like they are laid back and care-free but it's just that they could care less about you. We had an ant farm in our room that ate through our bags of food. We had to check out at 12, asked if we could be 10 minutes late, they said if we wanted to pay for another day. So disappointed in this hotel. Don't stay here. We did room service once because we didn't trust the staff.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends