“Fabulously charming and friendly hotel in great location- go there!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Victoria Hoi An Beach Resort & Spa

Victoria Hoi An Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #47 of 137 Hotels in Hoi An
“Fabulously charming and friendly hotel in great location- go there!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

We stayed a week at this hotel in late April and from the word go we loved the charm and friendliness of this hotel. Having stayed in many 5star luxury hotels the Victoria Hoi An offers you a wonderful relaxed environment with high quality service in a fabulous beach setting. We stayed in the Junior Suite which just about works for a family of four and loved the direct access onto a beautiful white sand beach with very safe shallow waters for young kids to safely swim and play.
The food we found to be of very high quality and the buffet breakfasts are to die for! The egg station was excellent and the breads and pastries ooze that French texture and taste that you can normally only find in France- best breads in Asia! Fresh fruits and salamis and cheese were also excellent.
With lovely sunny days on the beach and then convenient shuttle buses into Hoi An in the evening mean that you can enjoy that beach holiday with access to fantastic eateries in Hoi An ( recommend Miss Ly!).
We did the Ecotour which was great fun and the motorbike and sidecar excursions- well worth doing.
A fantastic week and a superb hotel experience with quality and friendly service. We will be returning!!

• Stayed April 2011
4 Thank FamilyGoddard

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2011

We stayed in room 131 and had river views. The room was lovely and spacious and looked freshly renovated. We didn't have any birds or geckos in our room, so I'm not too sure what the below reviewer is referring to. The staff were very helpful and were always willing to assist including coming to notify us in the restaurant that our Tailor had arrived to drop off our suits. The hotel is right on the beach and a 10 minute shuttle bus into old Hoi An town. If the shuttle bus times don't suit, you can always catch a taxi for about USD$3-5. We only ate once at the hotel and had a seafood buffet and dinner show. The food was delicious. The Pool is lovely and the hotel also have lounges along the pool, on the beach front and have a beach volleyball net and body boards etc. The Pool is quite big and sometimes it was tricky getting the staff's attention, but if you're not too lazy, you can always walk the 50 metres to the bar and get a menu/order drinks and food there. We paid roughly USD$178 for the room and it was the priciest hotel we stayed in Vietnam. Admittedly the hotel lobby is showing signs of wear and tear and the tiles there and along the pool will likely need to be renovated soon. The hotel does not look as nice as some of the other 5 star hotels we have previously stayed in, but this is Asia after all and the beautiful beach location and pool more than made up for the worn looking tiles. If you're looking for an international standard star, then pay extra and stay at the Nam Hai. If you're well travelled and superficial aesthetics dont mean much to you, then stay here! PS. We would not recommend staying in old Hoi An town as it's very noisy at all hours and you'll be unlikely to get an uninterrupted nights sleep.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank InspiredGlobetrotter
Scotland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2011

Whilst asleep in bed bugs bit me over 40 times! (See photos)

When we were shown to our room (137?) it smelt musty and felt very damp. We asked to move and were shown two more rooms on the ground floor adjacent to each other but these were just the same. I asked to pay for an upgrade but as they were full they couldn't do anything. The smell wasn't so bad later that evening as I guess we were first to air it in a while. That night though I was bitten over 40 times, many on my forearm which was beside my mouth (co2) as I slept and others on my feet, legs, arms, chest but none near my head where I had sprayed with DEET before dinner.

I complained to the front desk and received a dismissive response and was offered a coil for the room, presumably for mosquitoes. I then asked for the Hotel Manager and was told "I am the manager" (Later he admitted he manages the front desk!) He then called the nurse who looked at it - At first it was inferred it was an allergic rash and I said the bites weren't just on my foot but all over. The antihistamine cream removed the itch but applying it to over 40 bites 3 times a day took time and I got to know all the bites personally - 6 weeks on I can still (just) see the marks on my foot.

I asked to move rooms but was told they were full (I knew that) but after insisting several times I was shown another room - (104?) which was on the other side of the walkway and effectively a floor up as there were rooms below us - This room had no smell and was what I would have expected. The next two days stay hotel wise were fine.

Sadly the mental scaring continues. For the next few weeks I would awake each night scratching and putting the lights on to look for things that just weren't there. Now I am home I worry I might have brought them home in my case/clothes and I am still awaking in the night several times scratching and worrying again about something that isn't there (I hope).

ROOMS UNFIT FOR HIRE - When you walk up the hotel steps the wing that faces you on the left on the ground floor are where the 3 rooms we looked at were, which were all damp and musty - Reading back on tripadvisor the reason might have been due to flooding in the past, but that doesn't excuse a hotel and has them continue to let unfit rooms. We saw several guest complain when shown to those rooms and we were just glad we managed to move rooms - Else I would have checked out regardless of the hotel being pre paid by an agent (Who I let know of the issue)

Whilst we moved room we said we were concerned that the room was unfit for relet - We were asked to pack as quickly as possible as they needed the room for arriving guests and sure enough within an hour they had relet the room. (I didn't have the heart to worry the new occupants as not all people react to bug bites in the same way!) If you read this and had the same issue then please post your feedback too - Had we been there for just one night we would not have had time to complain but as we had extended the stay for 3 nights in our trip planning we were so very disappointed in having chosen to do it in this hotel)

The "manager" sent us a bottle of wine and fresh fruit which was a pleasant gesture but way short of recompense for the bites and continued mental anguish.

On check out I wrote a letter to Claude M Balland, the General Manager and marked the letter confidential. I thanked him for his gesture of fruit and wine and laid out my complaint. I received an email a couple of hours later from the "management" which completely ignore what I had said, part of the reply was "we are very delighted to learn that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us during your last vacation in Hoi An........." I am pretty sure the GM did not get my letter but either way the response was just disgusting.

you can read the hotel plus points in other reviews, but this was just my worst stay in 30 years!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank AngusJ
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

stayed here for 3 nights/4 days in lovely Hoi An. We were supposed to stay at the La Life resort on the river, but I guess there is a lot of construction noise so our agent moved us here. Unfortunately, we could not wait to leave this resort, but managed to enjoy the beach and great city of Hoi An.

Cons:
1- There were geckos in our room crawling all over - when we complained and asked at the front desk, the woman starting laughing at us. "In my country there geckos all over! they are not dangerous. If I move you to a new room, there be a new gecko there too" and continued laughing. I seriously wanted to punch her in the face and be like nice freaking customer service. Later, to top it off, there was a bird in our room that chirped all night. Screw you guys!

2 - The bathroom is weird and dated (we had a sauna tub with a shower hose - no curtain or door. The smell is sewer gas from the toliet stuck up the room each night. we complained about that too and they "fixed it" but the smell came back the next day.

3 - The spa is a joke - it's cheap, but it's just run down. I got a manicure and felt like this was her 1st time doing one.

Bottom line - they seem to put a band aid on everything b/c apparently people will still show up to this place.

Pros:
Private beach and nice pool. The mojitos and "victoria special" cocktail (mojito with lemongrass and sometimes ginger based on your bartender) got me through the terrible room experience.

Room Tip: I would pay more to stay at a better resort.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank FremontFred
Hove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2011

This is a fantastic beach front hotel with free shuttle buses to Hoi An, friendly staff, beautiful villas and gardens, great food. We will be returning.

1 Thank Cathiejs
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2011

Just spent 4 nights there with my wife and four year-old son,after 4 dusty days in HCMC. The resort is probably a restored old building ( i think) and has a good old rustic feel about it, compared with the nearby newly built ones. We stayed in a king-szied (basically 2 twin beds put together) with a garden view. There was a nice balcony. The bathroom was spacious with a tub large enough for all three of us. The toilet was separate which was nice.Away from the bedroom, the hotel has a gameroom with billard tables (a hit with my son), and a reasonably stocked library(a hit with my wife). The pool was nice and clean with a beautiful seaview. The private beach was clean and not crowded , with confrotable sunbeds. The staff was generally friendly and helpful and there was regular shuttle to the old town.

On the downside, the housekeeping was not attentive and had to be reminded everyday that there were three (not two) of us in the room , who needed bath towels. Most of the staff are not fluent in english. The massages we had at the spa were ok but nothing to shout about.

But the worst aspect of the resort is the food. On the first night, my wife ordered a noodle with beef and peanuts (as written on the menu) at the poolside restaurant. When the noodle came, it contained not only beef but also pork (not stated on the menu!!) and no peanuts. The waiter acknowledged the mistake and said that was not the first time this sort of confusion happened! The breakfast buffet was ok-ish although the cooked items looked and tasted like they were cooked many hours ago.

Overall a very nice place but avoid eating there.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kieranlim
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2011

We deliberated long and hard over where to stay in Hoi An - town or beach - and in the end opted to split our time between both. (we stayed at the Life Resort in town also reviewed).
The location of the Victoria was great with both river and beach views. The beach was quiet (the hotel is located away from the hawkers, at one end of this long sandy stretch) and one could walk for miles, with stunning scenery in the distance. We also decided to go for the most expensive option, a beach-front bungalow, persuaded by the reviews on this site, that the extra was worth it, and it was. The room was fabulous and we loved the outdoor shower, and large windows looking out directly onto the beach, which was just a few steps away from the patio doors. It was a shame that the weather was highly unseasonal - on our arrival day, as we sat huddled in sweaters on the room's patio balcony, staring at the grey skies and the rough sea, it felt and looked like Norfolk, England. However, the sun did shine for us and we enjoyed our own 'private' chairs and umbrella complete with beach service just below our room.

The hotel grounds are pretty and immaculate, the pool area is lovely (an infinity pool that stretches out to the sea), the staff delightful, but there are some maintenance issues: the blinds in our Japanese styled room were frayed, the sheets felt limp and damp (it might have been down to the sea air), and the reception area definitely looks dated and needs a makeover. On the plus side, the buffet breakfast was excellent (but not enough outdoor seating) and we found the shuttle service to town ran at just the right times and frequency. The atmosphere is very tranquil. We did not eat in the restaurants other than a poolside snack (great pho), but the bar provided a pleasant atmosphere for a drink (if beachfront rooms are booked via the internet you get free drinks vouchers daily, plus four complimentary pieces of laundry done - a nice touch).

It's a five minute walk to the local shops (try Linda for good and cheap tailoring) and various informal restaurants - some on the river, the best of which was Blue Wave, friendly service, fabulous fish and very inexpensive, but they do lack the atmosphere of those in town. Otherwise take the shuttle to town and have dinner in one of the many busy restaurants in this vibrant quarter. Our favourites there were Morning Glory, Cargo Club, The Mermaid and the terrace at the Saigon Times Club.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a beach front room. It's fab.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple