“Very nice but perhaps not worth the cost”

Victoria Hoi An Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #60 of 170 Hotels in Hoi An
Reviewed 18 September 2010

We stayed here for 3 days with our 18-month old daughter.

On the plus side, the spa, gym, massage centre and pool were all fabulous (although I agree with other comments that the pool could do with being colder so as you can escape from the relentless heat). We also greatly enjoyed the ability to drop our daughter off for a couple of hours each day at the Kids Centre (which was pretty much empty the whole time we were there), plus the babysitting service at $4 per hour (we capitalised on our 3 days of freedom!). The location is gorgeous and we had absolutely no concerns re the street noise as others have referred to.

On the downside, the service was a bit hit and miss, which is not acceptable at these prices. On one of the 3 days, our room wasn't cleaned at all, and they finally turned up at 6pm to clean the room - not much help when you are bathing your daughter to get her ready for bed. The breakfast service was also a little hit and miss - on a couple of occasions I had to go and help myself to my own coffee . We also had to breakfast at 6am due to an early flight, which is when the hotel claims breakfast is open from, yet the staff were clearly not happy with us turning up at this time, and a number of food items were not available at this hour. Finally, our deluxe room, which was gorgeous and had a fabulous view, had an awful sewage smell emanating from the bathroom which tended to knock the luxurious feel somewhat.

Having come from Hanoi, where we stayed in a 3* hotel but received 5* service (Hanoi Elegence 4 - seriously stay here!), this almost felt like the reverse.

Despite the shortcomings I would recommend this hotel, but I am not convinced it represents great value for money.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,320)

Reviewed 17 September 2010

We booked our trip with a company call Selective Asia - Vietnam with Ease.

I have done back packing a few years ago and was going to intially just book everything my self. However, with just 2 weeks we decided we wanted everything organised and make the most of out time in Vietnam, seeing as much as we could and time relax!

Selective Asia were amazing and it was very well organised, with everything through out the trip. All the sales advisors were extremely helpful in arranging our tailor made holiday, even when I kept changing my mind! The hotels were all very good and were exactly as were told and to be honest it was great value for money, given what we managed to squeeze into 2 weeks and still have time to relax in great hotel.

The Victoria at Ho An was certainly a highlight. Although we didn't get the weather to chill out in the sun, we still enjoyed the hotel and the town - lots to see and do. The room was lovely and clean and the breakfast was fantastic.

I would highly recommend Selective Asia and we hope to book another trip with them soon.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2010

We have staying in nearly all the victoria hotels as we are never dissapointed and the victoria at hoi an was no exception. The beach is gorgeous the pool refreshing and the location Ideal, not to close and not to far from the town - and the shuttle is free! The breakfast in true victoria style is HUGE and yummy!!! Lying in the beach 'cots' with a beer watching dusk fall was unforgettable! I reccomend if your moped savvy - hire from nearby and take a half day trip to marble mountian and a days scoot to my son, pretty easy with the directions the front desk supply!

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 16 September 2010

It's a very nice resort, with a clean beach. The rooms are nicely designed, and the food is good. The only problem I had was trying to find some quiet.

Staff walked through my garden every few minutes, and rang my doorbell several times a day. Every meal at the restaurant involved at least one screaming, running or shouting child. I couldn't even enjoy a relaxing beer at the outdoor bar, because it's located next to the kiddie pool. Cars, motorbikes and trucks blast their horns on the road in front of the hotel non-stop, and the noise can be heard in the room and on the beach.

And to top it all off, several geckos living in my ceiling started screeching at night, and woke us up 3 or 4 times.

Really nice place if you don't mind the distractions. I was hoping for a little more privacy, and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2010

My boyfriend and I spent 4 nights in a deluxe beach front villa at the Victoria Hotel and it was amazing. The resort is right on the beach - we literally walked out of our room door and less than 10 seconds later we were swimming in the beach.

At the Victoria you can lounge around the pool all day or sunbake on the beach - the pool is actually warmer than the sea! At night, we migratef from pool to pool bar where the bar staff are very happy to make very strong cocktails!

The staff were very friendly, although we found some language barriers as they didn't speak fantastic English.

There is a shuttlebus that takes you to town (5kms way) which is for free and a great addition to the service provided by Victoria.

For a relaxing beach holiday, we would definitely stay at the Victoria again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank melbourne1981
Reviewed 8 September 2010

I kept reading that over and over again; it couldn't be truer. The grounds are immaculate, the beach is gorgeous, and the rooms are really pretty. My friend and I truly enjoyed our stay here. I would definitely return. All that having been said, I have a couple of criticisms that would have made our stay even more enjoyable. The hotel food is pretty lousy. They had a few dishes that were just o.k. and a couple of other dishes that were terrible. I don't usually eat hotel food (wherever I'm traveling), but it's nice to have the option when you're in a pinch. The hotel pool temperature was...well, felt like the kiddie pool. I've come to realize this is the norm in southeast asia. But with the ocean being as warm as it is and the air temperature being as hot as it was, it would have been nice to cool off in the pool. The staff was very nice and very helpful. Again, even with the two minor criticisms, I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2010

We loved this hotel but unfortunately got off to a bad start as we had booked 'Beach Front' rooms which were the only rooms set back from the beach and down a slope which prevented the view of the beach from our room. We had high expectations of this hotel and were very disappointed when taken to our rooms which were fairly shabby - bed spread was all pulled, dirty towels in the garden and not what we had paid for. If you go to this hotel expecting to be on the beach - ensure that you get a Suite. We got the impression that as we arrived late in the day - the rooms had been shuffled around - (people were changing their room as we were discussing our disappointment) We eventually got shifted to the Vietnamese 'Beach Front' rooms which were much nicer and you could actually see the beach from your room. Anyway - apart from the slight hiccup at the beginning, we loved the beach and the Hotel and not far to get into Hoi An town by taxi, shuttle or side car. I think definately this Hotel was the best we saw in Hoi An and would stay again - as I said though - don't be disappointed booking a Beach Front Room - get a suite, or a Vietnamese Beach Front Room or just pay for a standard room if you are not fussy about location in the hotel. Also, internet was very hit or miss while we were there, even in the Internet Corner. There was a few conflicts with guests & staff while we were there - twice while we were in the foyer we noticed management seemed to be a little inexperienced in handling complaints. Pool water was very warm (I think the staff did their best to fix this with daily doses of ice in the middle of the day but to no avail)

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple