“I loved Hoi An Riverside as it was a REAL Vietnamese Hotel”

Hoi An Riverside Resort & Spa
Ranked #94 of 141 Hotels in Hoi An
New York City
“I loved Hoi An Riverside as it was a REAL Vietnamese Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

This is not your typical hotel made for westerners, which is why i LOVED it! Recommended by a great friend who is half Vietnamese and half French, whose vietnamese father used to take her there as a little girl and warned me, "this isn't the W", it's a Viet style hotel.. Well I REVELED in it..
Greeting was warm and charming, the bell hops serviceable and accommodating, the rooms (mine 1205 and my friend's 1204) were SUPER Spacious and with the most beautiful Balcony where I could sit and meditate over the tranquil river and floating canoes of local fishermen, who almost seemed poised there as part of the most beautiful scenery and view i've ever seen.. In the morning Water Buffalos or Ox'es would plow the rice fields, aided by charming farmers in typical Vietnamese hats, on the other side of this tranquil river, offering you a sort of National Geographic in Motion perpetual view! Colorful scarecrows fashioned out of colored rain coats dot the river's other green side.. Had yummy room service the first night, even though it was almost after hours, they accommodated us perfectly. ( do NOT expect staff except reception to speak English, you point at things and express yourself as best you can, this is NOT the hotel's fault. it's most anywhere in Vietnam. But I want to not complain about this, i find it nice, and, after all why do "they" always have to speak "our" language? Hum...?.. I made myself totally understood always by the charming and good natured staff..
The bathroom included a very nice hot hot and full pressure large shower, a gorgeous view over the river from it's window, a candle ,hair dryer and every little hotel amenity you need.
Floors were beautiful dark wood - it was cold outside but not cold in the room - bedding was super clean, white, pressed and pillows comfortable and of good quality. I had a VERY luminous room with gorgeous views form all sides. The rooms are sectioned off into small buildings, mine was closest to the fitness room and spa which I didn't have time to visit but looked nice.

Breakfast takes place near the pool on THE MOST BEAUTIFUL spot perched on the river's edge affording the most magnificent view of the rice field, farmers, water buffalos and passing canoes. The pool is lovely and clean, and again the hotel staff's smiling happy humor made everything great! They had the most wonderful Super strong yet not bitter Vietnamese coffee was like adrenaline in a cup!

Their front desk's recommendations led us to an amazing Bicycle tour of Hoi An which was maybe one of the most special things I did on my 3 week trip to Vietnam- Called
"Heaven and Earth Bicycle tour"s.. can't say enough good things about the experience nor about the girls who served as guides! ( (Tran) known as "Me", and Beh ( sorry if i don't know the spelling)" Thank you! I think biking your countryside a full and entire day was one of the MOST BEAUTIFUL EXPERIENCES I"VE EEVER HAD! And, without the Riverside hotel's reception people - we never would have heard about it.

They were also very kind on our last day, offering to lend us a room before our departure at night to Hue and after our bicycle ride, they let us use a fresh room and bathroom to change in and shower in late in the day, something most hotels would have charged for, but they said it was their pleasure to extend that courtesy to us.

We Stayed 2 nights and had 2 breakfasts and one dinner there ( room service) and all food and beverage was delicious.

The location is close enough to town that you can walk, but just far enough that you feel like you're in the middle of the Vietnamese country side.

Thank you Riverside for a perfect Hoi An experience!!!

Room Tip: I loved 1204 and 1205
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank ThePerfecti0nist

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013 via mobile

We loved our time at this resort. Great location on the river. Free bus into town and back or a cheap taxi. Only issue was the compulsory $55 New Year's Eve dinner that you had to pay even if you didn't attend. And there wasn't enough hot water for 2 people to have a shower one after the other. We were here a few days and this happened each day. Great service though, clean and has everything we needed

• Stayed December 2012
South Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2013

This place can boast Location Location Location. The grounds are stunning, large pool is crytsal clear, gardens is lush and very well maintained and being right against the River Do with rural farm land acorss the river [rice growing mainly] its just a wonderful place to be. Staff were eager and cheerful. Reception staff [who were willing to support/solve all traveller dilemmas] had quite good English tho' others were much more limited. I did find the rooms, tho very spacious and very comfortable, rather tired. With a bit of a spruce up in the bedrooms this hotel would be an absolute gem. Cabs go up and down the road and often wait near the hotel and its only $2.50 US/Aust into the historic town about 5-7 mins in the cab. Free shuttle bus 3 times per day. There never seems any shortage of cabs... at any time of day/night. I took a latop and had no trouble accessing internet in my rooms or out near the pool via WiFi but I also used the hotel supplied comptuers and they also worked consistently well for internet access, Across the road is Mrs Ha [that's her name and the name of her small business] where you can buy water& soft drinks, drop off your laundry and hire push bikes. Her husband will escort you on rides too for a pirce. I even went on the back of his motor-bike to get further out of town into the rural area to get more up and personal with the crops/farmers. All they offer is at a price but a very reasonable one. [eg 1.5litres bottled water 15000dong = 60c US/Aust approx.] If you do stay here make sure you walk down the road towards the Historic Town to 'Son Restaurant' - only 5 mins walk from the hotel - also on the River Do. Great setting, DELICIOUS food and reasonable prices for food 'n drinks [alcoholic and non-alcoholic] I really do believe you'll love it. Food is fantastic. I walked to Cu Dau beach in the opposite direction - it's only 1km and ambling along looking at the many little businesses along the way I tookj about 25mins.

Room Tip: ask for one facing/opening out against the river.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank enVacance55
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

My wife and I stayed in a River View room and found it to be very spacious and clean albeit a little tired. Certainly very well maintained and serviced by the most wonderful and friendly staff.
The staff working in the grounds were always smiling and willing to say hi or offer some suggestions on what to do or where to go in and around Hoi An. The bar/dining area was in a very peaceful location overlooking the river, and the breakfast was unbelievable.
The staff at reception were always available to assist with any needs even to the point they arranged for a phone card to be delivered to the hotel and installed in my phone at no extra cost.
We hired push bikes and rode 1 1/2 ks down to the beach. Very safe riding.
The location of the hotel is far enough yet close enough to the town to be great, and the courtesy bus is always on time. Its only a 3 dollar taxi ride otherwise each way.
Would stay again and probably will when we go back in September 2013.

Room Tip: River view rooms are the best down by the spa and the gym.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Everett, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2013

This was the most expensive hotel we stayed in Vietnam and in our opinions it was overrated. The grounds are nice (right on the river) and the pool is good size. We had reserved a room for 3 people and basically all they did was added a twin bed to a double room. We were packed in and could barely walk between the beds. Our safe didn't work so we had to protest until they fixed it. Bathroom was almost as large as our room. Stayed here on New Years Eve and had to pay for the mandatory party ($55 a person)...good food, expensive drinks and bad entertainment. Hotel is also located a fair ways out of town which was a bummer since town was so cute.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

Stopped here for 3 nights as part of an Exodus tour to Vietnam and Cambodia so I had no choice on the hotel selection. Despite that, the hotel is probably the best of the 5 that we stopped in during the 2 week trip.

The hotel is more than a walk from the old town, but a taxi will cost you a quid and they will cram as many people in as you are comfortable with. One evening we had 9 and the driver in a cab.

The hotel has a private beach and a spa, but we were there for such a short time that we didn't get time to use them.

Breakfasts are OK, with the usual Vietnamese/continental fare and a good omlet lady.

Nice 3 story villas with big rooms and superb air con. Fruit and water freely available with good toiletries. the rooms also provide umbrellas, robes and flip flops for you to use inside and outside the hotel. You will need the umbrella if it rains like it did on our visit. 12 hours continious monsoon left the hotel grounds looking like Venice but by morning, it had all gone! There is a safe in the room, use it!! I did actually leave camera gear out and it was still there on my return, maybe an ipad is just too much of a temptation?

Nice pool and seating area but the place is a bit short on comfortable bar seating. There is a pool table on the upper floor of the bar area but the humidity has not done it any favours and the ques have no tips. The bar is good and the staff are super but the beer is 49,000VND for a bottle of Saigon Red (about £1.48) If you pop over the road to Mrs Ha's , mentioned loads in these reviews, beer is 10,000VND (30p!!!!!) and I am sure that the lady is making a profit at that. Her laundry is very cheap too, much cheaper than the hotel. One night, 7 of us drank all night and struggled to spend a million (£30) by the end of the evening there were 40 plus bottles on the table and we had consumed gin by the wine glass, scotch by the half pint and 2 portions of chips! I think we got some discount on that!

All in all, pretty good. I would reccommend it to others.

Room Tip: See if you can get a top floor in the villas on the river, no noise from people walking about on top...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mark&Nic
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2013

Nice room and amazing bathroom. Hot water runs out so be quick in the shower. Lots of little nice touches on check-in including the welcome drink, little flowers nestled amongst the towels, etc.

Service was okay. I've had warmer and more attentive service in hostels.

The meals were great when you stuck to Vietnamese specialities.

Head across the street for bike rentals and car booking. It's a short bike ride into town and there are plenty of amazing dining options there.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends