“great value and customer service”
Review of Hung Thai

Hung Thai
Ranked #193 of 429 Shopping in Hoi An
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Just returned from Hoi An and went to Hung Thai as it had been recommended by a friend.

Purchased seven dress shirts and paid US$20 per shirt.

I worked with a really friendly woman there named Anh who was extremely helpful!

I brought a shirt I already owned with me (that fits perfectly) so didn't need to be measured there. Dropped the shirt off at 11am and picked out three patterns I wanted. Opted for the 100% cotton blends over the cotton / polyester blends.

Returned at 4pm the same day and the shirts were all ready! I liked them so much and was so impressed by the fit that I picked out 4 more patterns on the spot. They were all ready the following morning at 11am.

I've had shirts made at a few places in Thailand and paid US$40-50 per shirt, and these are just as good from a quality / fit standpoint.

I highly recommend this place, and ask for Anh!

1  Thank danielsw13
in 9 reviews
"copies"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 5 July 2013

We visited this shop three times during our stay in Hoi An and were delighted with the clothing that we had made. The men in our group had custom-made suits and dress shirts made in one day that are excellent quality and fit. The service was very accomodating and eager to make sure we were pleased with the finished product. We definitely recommend this location! :-)

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Fantastic!! The quality of the dresses I ordered was excellent, and the seamstress gave good advice as to what would and wouldn't look good - would recommend :)

Reviewed 12 June 2013

I live in HCMC and I am used to come to Hoi An few times per year for my work. I always get a tailor made cloth. This time I went to 2, the first one was for a Ao Dai and the 2nd was Hung Thai for a jacket and a jean short. Pity I can't remember the name for the Ao Dai one but the lady was lovely and brought it to me 4 hours later after taking my measures. Free delivery. Beautiful fabrics. fitting perfectly.
when I went to Hung Thai, it was a bit after lunch time. the Lady was sleeping in the shop on the floor. I arrived and went in to get info and say I want a tailor made coat. She did not stand up, looked at me without saying hello and told me it would be 50 USD. Bad start. I asked her if she could come so I can ask her more questions. She looked really annoyed and looked like she just did not care about me. I finally asked her if she wants to sit down and drink some water so she could wake up because it was really annoying to have someone so unhelpful and cold. She finally got a bit more smiley and took my measures etc. I asked for getting it large so I could wear a tick jumper under. Then I wanted to have a jeans short. fabrics was very bad but she convinced me it would be nice. I asked to get it large like the one I was wearing at the time I was there. Finally time to talk about price. I don't like bargaining but I also know when price is too high or not in Vietnam. and for sure I know tailors in Hoi An do not give a Vietnamese price (even if they say so). She wanted to charge me 1.800.000 VND (85 usd). I negotiated for 1.600.000 VND but it was hard. Usually it goes smoothly and keep their smile but there, she really made me feel bad.
Then I came back on the evening to try. I did not like the buttons so asked her to change for another color. She did not get it large as I requested so asked her again to get sleeves bigger. I tried the short which was very tight. I am sure I told her to get it large but I heard her saying to the other customers who were in the shop that I did not tell her. She agreed to get the coat delivered to my hotel the day after as I was not able to come back in the centre. She charged me 40.000 vnd for the delivery, saying that it is for the taxi while I know she would come by motorbike.
The day after, when I got the coat I saw she did not change the buttons as asked.

sorry it was so long but I really had a bad experience with this shop. too bad for her as I come back very regularly and she could have find a good client. For sure to avoid as there are much better places !

5  Thank Fleur M
See more reviews
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I will first start off by saying that the fabric in any of the stores are terrible. Not just this store but all we looked at. My mother was a seamstress so I grew up with homemade clothes. My husband wanted some linen pants made for the beach. I advised against it but he never listens to me. He went in picked the linen which was a terrible blend of cotton and something else, got measured and then he was told the price of $50 per pant. The price was actually higher than what I could have bought the pants in the states for. We paid and was told to come back at 3p for a fitting.

We returned within an hour because he decided he wanted a linen jacket as well for both pairs of pants. Another girl was there and help us. Again, she measured him and told us $55usd for a jacket. My husband was content me not so much. We asked about lining in the jacket and assured there would be lining....although she never made mention of the fabric that would be used for the lining.

We returned at 3p for the pants fitting. The girl who initially helped us with the pants was there. She then began to tell us that the girls who took the order for the jackets didn't charge us enough because the lining would be nylon in the jacket. Nylon in a linen jacket! Lol What's the point! We listened to her spill that cotton cost more than nylon so it would be 100,000vnd more. I know it's not much but it's also not honest business. She didn't want to write it on the receipt. So she finally wrote it on our receipt but not the business receipt book. Then put the money where her personal items was not with the company stuff.So, we felt as if we had to pay this so we wouldn't get nylon inside linen which just would have been ridiculous and be counter productive in having a breathable linen jacket!

So, if you still want to buy clothes make sure the buttons, zippers and lining is discussed with the price or you could get taken by the fabric swap!

2  Thank farmngal