“'Enjoy' feeling gouged for ice cream...”

Enjoy Ice Cream bar & Restaurant
Ranked #56 of 838 Restaurants in Hoi An
Price range: US$1 - US$4
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Restaurant with Vietnamese food and western food. Balcony with river view. The largest choice of ice Cream. 57 Flavors, 24 toppings. Self Service. 60 000 Vnd for 100g. And a great menu for dessert with nutella waffle, crepe, chocolate fondant...
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We made the mistake of coming to Enjoy after dinner last week to get some ice cream. As other people have mentioned before, there are signs that indicate 2 scoops are approximately 100grams, totaling 60k vnd. (roughly $3usd). We were aware of this going in, and I was pretty conservative with my 2 scoops.

The ice cream brand is Bellany, which is manufactured here in Vietnam. While they import some ingredients, milk is not one of them.

I can only say that my small cup of ice cream costs 97k (nearly $6), and this is without any added toppings. I was shocked, but accepted the price. However, it was quite unusual that my partner, by chance, had the exact same total. I’m not saying this isn’t possible, but what are the odds? Also, he got at least a scoop more than I did.

As for the quality of ice cream, the nutella was good, but the salted caramel peanut butter flavor had the oddest chemical flavor.

In the end, we spend around $10 on ice cream, which isn’t a crazy amount - but considering we could’ve had Haagen Daz for the same price, it wasn’t the best of value.

There are other restaurants along the river that have much better ice cream to offer.

1  Thank CptWonderpants
Enjoy H, Manager at Enjoy Ice Cream bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Wonderpants,

We are sorry you did not feel satisfied after leaving our restaurant. We try very hard to make sure every customer feels good and enjoys what they purchase from us, and it seems that we have not been successful in bringing this experience to you and your partner, for which we as a team apologize.
You raised that your cup of ice cream came to 97,000vd and that this is almost $6. It is a technicality really, and I don't wish to take away from what you are saying, but that amount translates to $4.58, not $6.
As for your two tubs coming to the same; it does happen sometimes! It seems a remote chance, but it does happen.
Anyone who would like to come and test the accuracy of our scales is very welcome to do so, and had you raised this concern with the staff working at the time, you would certainly have been given the option to do this. We have absolutely no intention cheating our customers; it is immoral, and
bad business-sense.
Each ice cream/yogurt/sorbet has its own unique weight with the creamier ones with garnishes such as nuts or cookies (like salted peanut butter) being the heaviest, and sorbets being the lightest. Your choices of Nutella, Salted Peanut Butter and Salted Caramel all fall into the heavier category; perhaps your partner had some sorbet or a fruitier selection?

You are not the first customer to raise this issue of scoop size, and we are looking at ways of better communicating with our customers about what we mean by 'normal'. We are looking at things from visual representation, to improved English skills for staff, to more detailed instructions on the wall,
and we hope that on your next trip to Hoi An, you will give us a visit and see what you think of the improvements.
You made the claim that we do not import our milk. I am not sure how you came to this conclusion, but we do indeed import our milk from France. The brand is Elle & Vire (From Normandy)
This as well as the other import expenses and transfer from Ho Chi Minh are the reasons for our prices, which incidentally, are about average for imported ice cream in Hoi An; New Zealand Naturals - another imported brand, being available from several other outlets (the range being 25,000 - 45,000vd per scoop) .

We are rather proud of the quality and deliciousness of our massive ice cream selection, and love watching people excitedly rushing around the freezers trying to make up their minds what to have, or the pure joy that sometimes breaks out when children realize how many different flavors they
have to choose from. And that is not to mention all the fun toppings!

Next time you are in Hoi An, please give us another try, and come and have a delicious tub of gourmet ice cream, with a rich Lavazza coffee, and enjoy the ambience of the river at sunset; we would love a chance to give you a great Enjoy! experience.

There are newer reviews for Enjoy Ice Cream bar & Restaurant

Reviewed 9 July 2014

If you're looking for great food and have all the time in the world ( and don't mind that you have to remind your waiter for several things) this is the place for you. We have 3 children (age 14, 5 and a baby) and the service took to long, when we arrived there were no other guests. It took 15 min until we got our drinks. We waited a long time for our food, but it was great! Since the small children got unpation because of all the waiting we ordred dessert when my oldest son got his second dish. When we had paid (another wait) my son made me aware that his dessert had not come. At That time my husband had to take the smallest children outside (as my oldest one had been looking so forward to his dessert). The staff was friendly, but it did not weigh up for the slowe service. They served three tables upstairs at that time!! I don't recomend this place for families with children, unless they don't mind beeing seated for 2 hours:)

1  Thank Trinla

Dear Trinla,
Firstly, thank you very much for complimenting our food. We have three highly talented chefs, and they are always happy and proud to hear a compliment from a customer.

Please accept our apologies for the various problems you encountered during your visit with us. I can only stress that we put a great deal of time and energy into prompt, attentive and friendly service, and that your experience was an exception and not the norm. We pride ourselves of being family-friendly, and going 'above and beyond' to make our customers comfortable and relaxed. We have recently revamped our menu to include a special children's meal-deal, and all of our staff team love making a fuss of the little ones, offering free candy (with the parents consent) and playing with them when there is enough time.

We have recently hired a new manager, and employed 5 new members of service staff, including a new lead-waitress, who is just finding her feet in managing the restaurant upstairs. Our team is in the process of adjustment, in response to your comment we have organized additional training and
support for her, and are working as a team to review and identify what went wrong during your visit, in order to avoid it reoccurring in the future.

Had we been alerted to your dissatisfaction while you were here, we would have made sure you received both a sincere apology, and invited you back for a free meal on us, to make it up to you. If you are ever in Hoi An again, please come back and we will make sure you have a wonderful experience and a delicious meal with us, free of charge.

All the best,

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Great ice team. Fabulous food and a pretty amazing photo gallery. The restaurant overlooks the street and the ice cream place is on your way out...... It would be rude not to.....

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Old town is a charming place, architecture, ambience, the feel takes you back in time.
I have fall in love with hoi an and my kids have fall in love with 1 ice cream parlor in town "Enjoy Hoian".
The selection is unbelievable, from creams to sorbets and countless toppings.
Skeptical after seeing so many flavors we went traditional with butterscotch and vanilla, Oh My God it didn't taste anything like powdered ice cream but pure flavors.
Now it was time for round 2, kids went berserk and went for as many as 3 different creams each, from wild berries, green tea, strawberry, Oreo cookies, hazelnut and if I can recollect properly, we had shared almost 11 different creams I between us.
The went mad on toppings and just went non stop and I didn't want to stop them either as they were having time of their day.
I went for their special Nutella flavor, hammmm and WoW it was amazing.
This place is great for kids, adults and for everyone else who loves good quality ice cream at reasonable prices.
Thank you trip advisor for recommending this ice cream parlor.

Highly recommended.
Will be back.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I ate at Enjoy twice while I was in Hoi An. The first dish was Stir Fried Prawns (Mi Xao Thom) which was nice but a little plain. I asked for chili sauce which added a bit more flavour The second time I had the Chicken with Cream and Mushroom sauce - that was excellent, I highly recommend it.

They serve a very nice espresso coffee which I enjoyed both times I was there. I also tried the ice cream - a specialty of the house with something like 55 different flavours! I had Cointreau & Orange and Mango - both were beautiful.

I also tried the Mojito - very nice and made the traditional Cuban way (apparently!).

There is a beautiful photo gallery at the rear of the restaurant with Rehahn's exquisite portraiture. That alone is enough to make me want to come back. I am a big fan of his work, which is why I went there in the first place - so the great coffee, rum and food was an added bonus for me!