Golden River Hotel
US$35
US$75
US$71
Agoda.com
Anantara Hoi An Resort(Hoi An)
US$230
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
US$40
US$37
Golden Bell Homestay(Hoi An)(Great Value!)
US$20
US$19
All reviewsinside poolold townlovely clean pooldorm roomgreat hotelacross the bridgeexcellent locationbanana pancakesgood sizesmall balconyhouse keepingcomfortable bedsgreat showerpleasant stayrent a bikehotel is locatedper night
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2013

A noisy hotel from 6am to 10.30pm. We were on the first floor and close to the stairs so heard constant footsteps, people splashing in the pool (somewhat dirty looking), furniture being moved around. The reception staff were pushy, "encouraging" guests to shop and eat in "family" establishments. A very ordinary hotel in a great town, I would not go back there.

3  Thank tastravelbug6706
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I stayed at the golden river hotel for 6 nights. The rooms were great! Comfy bed, nice bathroom and a small balcony at the front. Staff were friendly and always helpful. There was a few problems I had with the hotel, the first was breakfast! Breakfast was included in the price, so didn't have high expectations. There selection was fine; eggs, bread, pancakes and fruit. My problem was that there wasn't enough food! There s always people waiting for the food to come out ( especially pancakes) then as soon as they arrived you would have to fight for them, ha ha. I think the staff have to make sure people aren't waiting around. The others problem was the pool. I never used the pool as it was quite dirty and It didn't look as if it had been cleaned the whole time I was there! The only people I saw using it was children. So I have mixed feeling about this hotel, I loved some things, but not everything! Also, please visit the small shop across to buy drinks and rent bikes. They are a lovely family who will always try to talk to you and will serve you with a smile. Especially the grandma, she is very cute!

1  Thank Kelly H
Reviewed 20 July 2013

This is not a slagging of the hotel as in reality it needs tweaking to bring it to what it should and definately could be. The Location is A-1, The Hotel physically is fine and in fact quite grand in a minor way. However, though the staff are great, Management is lacking. We arrived and were given a front room on the ground floor which, due to building work from a neighboring building it was not acceptable noise-wise but they were happy to move us to the rear which was much quieter...another however though.... Their own hotel rules (No 5) state that after 10pm noise is requested to be kept to a minimum, the trouble is no-one enforces it and we had kids running around at midnight screaming and hollering, that is partly a parental problem but as said, no one was enforcing it. Noise travels in this hotel as there are open balconies to the street in the corridors and the front doors to the hotel are always open to the street. The Buffet Breakfast WOULD be if There was a way they could keep the hot food hot (er, a Hotplate?) but overall the food is acceptable, and again, the staff do their best. But, the worst (in our humble opinion) is the allowance of smoking in the dining room! Ashtrays provided on the dining tables surely is a no-no in this day and age? The street is 4 metres away!
So, in conclusion, if you are the manager reading this.... take note please or reviews like these may impede your progress. On a plus point though, directly opposite the hotel is a family that do laundry and hire out good motorcycles cheaply, use them, they are great people and Hoi An is a lovely place.

Room Tip: On one of the upper levels at the rear is quieter.
1  Thank johnandshirley_13
Reviewed 27 June 2013

I stayed here during a big festival so the hotel was booked with mostly local guests. They were very loud at night and early morning yelling in the hallways and during breakfast too. I changed rooms as the AC couldn't cool my first room at all since it faced directly into the sun. The 2nd room had a connecting door to the adjoining room. All the smoke and noise from that room came right into mine... They were booked full so I couldn't change and I felt bad having already changed once. The staff wanted to help and were very sorry about the problem.

I took an early bus when I departed and they completely forgot the wake up call too. I think the hotel staff really want to help and they care but they don't have the systems and management to run it smoothly.

Other notes: The location is right in the old town so it's easy to have a stroll about, the pool is really small but will cool you off, the breakfast was ok and they were really helpful about packing me an early one for my bus.

It's probably a lot nicer place to stay when it isn't quite so busy and your room isn't connected to your smoky loud neighbor.

Room Tip: Just avoid the rooms with adjoining doors.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sh56703
Reviewed 31 May 2013 via mobile

Contrary to what others have to say, we enjoyed 2 wonderful weeks at this newly opened hotel. The receptionists Thy and Thuy were friendly, courteous and helpful in the extreme and the owner Thanh treated us as family. The kitchen too outdid themselves in providing a large and varied breakfast every day, often with a surprise Vietnamese goody.
We were also offered free use of the staff's motorbikes, and what's more, the hotel paid our taxi to the airport.
The one complaint I am prepared to make is that there are indeed some teething problems with the plumbing. The bathroom did overflow once and the room did get a bit smelly once or twice. But otherwise it was an excellent room, kept spotlessly clean and with a bed and bedding so soft and cozy that it was a crime to have to get up. The management also took the trouble to find chairs for the French balcony as those in the room are too big to take outside.
Golden River has an excellent location in a side street just off the river and 2 minutes walk from the Hoi An and Japanese bridges. The hotel also has a clean (half) outdoor pool and free laptops and bicycles for the use of the guests. We thought 25 USD was cheap considering what we got and the overall standard.
I don't know what more to say other than that we were unbelievably impressed by the great service and friendliness shown by everyone at this hotel and enjoyed every moment of our time here. We would warmly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2013