“Lovely hotel in a great position”

Anantara Hoi An Resort
Ranked #45 of 162 Hotels in Hoi An
Reviewed 5 March 2014

The hotel is located on the river in Hoi an. It is 5-10 minutes walk to the markets and the old city. So as a tourist hotel it is perfect. The rooms are vey comfortable, and they have a sofa, desk, and outdoor sitting area. Everything was spotless, and the bed and linen was perfect. We had breakfast included...it was adequate, but nothing superbly special. The pool area is lovely, however the pool is a wading and sitting variety, not for laps. It is lovely though. All in all a lovely stay and we would recommend it to friends. By the way the staff were excellent.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Craig L
NoelCameron, General Manager at Anantara Hoi An Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Pullenmom

Thanks for choosing to stay with us all your generous comments and recommendations. We are also extremely proud of our staff and I am delighted that they have made such a positive impact on your experience with us.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Here's the thing about the Anantara, it's location. Slap-bang on the riverfront and you walk out into the bustle of Hoi An, directly from an oasis of calm. The overall feel is very colonial, the staff are excellent in service and friendliness.
Downsides? There are some. Clientele seem to be of a certain age, restaurant is okay but the bar cocktails are shocking. ( I did tell them but just got a polite smile). The Internet was also a bit dodgy but we were told this was a temporary issue
We were messed-up with our booking at the last minute but the manager came clean, and looked after us very well, indeed.
I would highly recommend but with some minor reservations
Jooloos says this is harsh and she loves the place, so there you go, you pays yer money...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jooloosgoesnorth
NoelCameron, General Manager at Anantara Hoi An Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2014

Dear Jooloosgoesnorth

Thank you for your comments and choosing to stay with us at Anantara Hoi An Resort and we also love our location to the hustle and bustle as well as the retreat to the oasis of clam as you have so beautifully described it.

Recently we have been subject to intermittent service from our Vietnam based internet provider and I am happy advise that normal service has been restored. Thank you also for your comments regarding the cocktails and you has my personal assurance that this is not normal standard for our resort.

I do look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

The rooms/mini-suites in this hotel are lovely. They are large and have a nice sitting area, the beds are comfortable, and the bathroom is large and nicely appointed. The breakfast was good and served in a dining room overlooking the water. The location is excellent, just at the edge of the Old City so that you can walk everywhere. With that said, the walls are paper-thin, and we could clearly hear the conversation in the next door room. They were talking in normal voices, yet it was hard not to hear every word. Also, we had trouble with the hot water, and despite several requests, it was never really fixed. Staff was friendly and service oriented, but they couldn't solve those 2 problems. We were in Vietnam for 10 days, and this was the only hotel that I would hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear mxalpert

Thank you choosing to stay with us at Anantara Hoi An Resort and for your comments.
I am disappointed to read about your issues related to our rooms and the hot water. We have been fortunate to have received a number of positive guest’s comments about our rooms and so it was with great concern that I learned of your feedback.

“Thank you also for sharing your comments on social media. I regret we did not have the occasion to discuss your feedback while you were on property. Please allow me to assure you I would have made every effort to ensure that you left with the amazing memories that make Anantara Hoi An so special.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be assistance in the future.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

we stayed 5 nights in a river view room .The staff were excellent . We ate at the restaurant one lunchtime and the food was good. Ideal location for walking into town -out the front door and turn left-However still very quiet . If we came back to Hoi An would stay here again

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
NoelCameron, General Manager at Anantara Hoi An Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear traveller trevor

Thank you for your recommendations and choosing to stay with us. We are delighted you have experienced the truce magic of Hoi An and Anantara Resort and please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of any assistance should you wish to return.

Noel

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and I only spent 2 nights here during a tour of Vietnam, but we considered this to be our favourite of a number of good hotels in which we stayed. This is more of an accolade than you might think as my wife normally likes to laze in a bath and as the room did not have a bath - just a shower, and nearly all the other hotel rooms in which we stayed elsewhere had a bath this was quite something for her.

Having said that, the rooms are large and really well furnished and fitted out, with a lounge area, a bedroom area, and a shower and WC area. The breakfast buffet was extensive and delicious, and to be savoured at a table overlooking the river (we were lucky to secure one of these tables for both our breakfasts!) which was both interesting and relaxing.

The hotel provides a number of additional facilities and optional activities, but because of our tight schedule we were unable to take advantage of any of these - not even a swim in the very inviting swimming pool.

The staff were all very pleasant, helpful and extremely attentive. We could not have wished for better service. As an example, one of the workmen painting the outside of part of our building noticed when we were going out that I had a bottle of water but that my wife did not, and insisted on giving her one to take out with her. What kind of service and consideration is that?

The hotel has a lovely tranquil atmosphere and yet it was ideally located by the river but on the edge of the town centre, within easy walking distance of all the main attractions of this bustling town, and we would have loved to spend longer there just to relax. Recommended without hesitation.

1  Thank Silvertravelsurfer

Dear Silvertravelsurfer

Thank you very much for your “recommendation without hesitation”. We are delighted that you have had such a memorable stay with us here at Anantara Hoi An Resort and for taking the time to so objectively share your comments on social media.

You really have captured the true essence of our property and I would be delighted to welcome you back in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me direct should I be able to be of any future assistance.

Reviewed 27 February 2014

This resort ticks all the boxes
Location ,value , service and serenity
Loved loved our time here
We had 5 days just enough to relax before hitting the craziness of Ho Chi Minh
The pool looks inviting but only waist deep
The pool staff so helpful they do there best to get you deck chair or over size cushion for the lawn
Wonderful time here
You can do yoga every morning next to the pool
All so lantern making ,I wouldn't want to do this for a living as mine look like it a mess,
But great fun all the same

Room Tip: We were upstairs over looking the garden and pond great photo The resort is very quiet so any ro...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
NoelCameron, General Manager at Anantara Hoi An Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Rachelle_Darron

Thank you both very much for choosing to celebrate this amazing time in your lives with us here at Anantara Hoi An Resort. On behalf of the team and I we are thrilled that your stay has resulted in so many amazing stories to be shared and thank you for doing this here on social media.

Should your future anniversary plans bring you this way, or to another of Anantara’s unique destinations I would be delighted to be of any assistance that you may require.

Thank you again for sharing your amazing stories with us and congratulations.

The team and Noel

Reviewed 27 February 2014

We had a riverside room and it was so spacious, pretty and simply perfect for this little port town. The breakfast is extensive and the resort is overall very nice.

Two areas of improvement:

1. The pool staff needs to actually work. As all the lounge chairs were full, the staff member pointed to some oversized outdoor pillows that we could lay on. Fine - I understand that there are a limited number of loungers, but out of the corner of my eye, I watched as other guests had to move their lounge chairs from one area all the way to another side of the pool without the staff member even rushing over to assist him. This is unacceptable for a nice resort. In addition, not once did a staff member come by to ask us if we wanted to order a cocktail or a towel. We had to signal them over for that. This was my biggest disappointment about the hotel.

2. Upon arrival, we were barely acknowledged by the car people in front. I'm not sure what to call them actually. They're the people that stand in front and get you the cars/taxis? Anyways, as our driver/guide pulled up, the staff member didn't even glance up at us. When my husband asked him if he had any change so we could tip our driver and guide, he just motioned to the reception and said we would have to get it there. Fine, no problem. But a bit more welcoming courtesy would have been appreciated - especially as that is our first impression of a hotel. Whenever we would walk by when leaving/returning to the hotel, I don't think they ever even said hello or would acknowledge us unless we said hello. Very strange for a hotel of this caliber.

Overall though, this is a great hotel with gorgeous, clean rooms and good service (minus the two incidents above). The front desk helped us make dinner reservations with no problem and were friendly. The local area is in walking distance and the area is very safe. Oh, and while your'e here, you must visit the banh mi place the receptionist recommended - Phuong Banh Mi. It is divine!! I wish I could eat there every day (and I did while I was in Hoi An).

One tip - bring mosquito repellent. It is buggy by the river!

Room Tip: Get a riverside room! Other rooms face the pool and a courtyard.
1  Thank ApresNewYork
NoelCameron, General Manager at Anantara Hoi An Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2014

Dear Emblem

On behalf of the entire team and I thank you very much for your recognition of the amazing passion that our associates hold for our guests and our resort. It has been an absolute delight to have you stay with us here at Anantara Hoi An resort and thank you for your choosing us.

I am ever so proud of the team and I am delighted that this stay with us has resulted in so many amazing stories for you to share.

I do hope we are blessed with the opportunity to welcome “Miss Emma” back again in the near future.

Kind regards from the team and I
Noel Cameron.