“EXCELLENT SERVICE/VALUE!!!”

Ranked #57 of 144 Hotels in Hoi An
Osaka, Japan
“EXCELLENT SERVICE/VALUE!!!”
Reviewed 10 March 2011

This is the THIRD time I have stayed at Hai Au and their service just seems to be getting better and better.For a reasonable price, one gets a large, spotlessly clean room w/ small fridge/ cable TV, an outstanding breakfast ( buffet style with an egg station, a daily choice of local noodles, fresh tropical fruit and those great baguettes!). The staff have an excellent command of English which some 5 star hotel staff could learn from. Not only good info is rendered fluently, but they remember your name and are ***QUICK*** to remedy any problem. Laundry service and rental bikes ( a mere 15,000 per day) are pluses to this efficiently run small hotel. Add to all that a very pleasant small pool in the back! I will be continuing to patronize Hai Au on future trips to Hoi An.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank SUSHILAND

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
UK
Reviewed 7 March 2011

About 8 minutes walk from the centre of town.Staff very friendly, maybe a bit OTT. Room clean, but no view. Pool appeared to be in the shade most of the day. Breakfast OK, but did not eat in the restaurant otherwise. No Kettle in room, they supply Tea and coffee but you have to phone for a flask of hot water.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TomandaliUk
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 1 March 2011

The staff of the hotel was very friendly, energetic and fun. We had a big room with a balcony. We didn’t use the swimming pool. Breakfast was basic, but good. There was some noise from outside, but we slept very well. Air-conditioner worked well.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Stayed here in February 2011 with a couple of friends and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were very friendly and go to great effort to remember your name which is a nice touch. They helped book our tours and flights and were a pleasure just to chat to. The reception staff spoke fantastic English and the rooms were good (TV, DVD player and PC in room), with a couple of problems - one of the electrical plugs short-circuited a battery charger or two. Secondly, our TV had sound issues, and reception sent up a staff member whose idea of fixing the sound was to hit the tv a few times. An excellent temporary solution, but twenty minutes later the same issues occurred with similar methods of repair. In saying that though, would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 1 March 2011

Another reviewer summed it up - great service, but not quite there yet. I'm surprised by the high marks this hotel gets and I believe it may be from the over the top friendliness of the front desk staff - the main desk manager at least, she's really great. However there's a woman that handles payments and she never cracks a smile.
At first glance I loved the room. It was charming and decorated with a touch of class and design. I loved it. But then I noticed there was hair and dirt on the bed spread. Okay no big deal I thought. One small detraction.
But the towels were stained and there were hairs on the bed sheets as well. A slight flicker on the gross factor but still mostly okay.
But the internet was just too flaky to be of use in the room. And the final straw, no hot water. I realize hot water is a commodity in Vietnam but this room simply had a problem, the other rooms had functioning water heaters.
Upon check out, the non-smiling cashier was a bit rude as well.
Over all, I'd say there are better hotels for the price. The staff remembers your name and is very polite but a little charm shouldn't be a replacement for a quality hotel.

Halifax, NS
Reviewed 24 February 2011

Staff at this hotel are extremely friendly, and try to be very helpful, but the hotel itself is only average, although we discovered the pool area when we were checking out and it looked quite nice. Our room was clean, but there was a slight sewer gas odor in the bathroom. The room itself was presented very nicely on the first day, flowers on the bed, etc, but that only happened on the first day. The room is basic, beds the hardest we have found so far in VN, but okay. towel supplies were minimal. We had to ask for more, even after we called staff in to help clean up water from the shower and they could see that we had used all the towels. On the otherhand, as we were carrying our bags out when we were leaving, staff saw us, called down, and had someone come to get our bags without us even asking. they do try hard. Breakfast was quite good. Bike rentals cheap, but we had a bike that had problems and they did not charge us for it which was very nice. The reason I say service was not 5* was not for the not staff trying, but the internet did not work in our room most of the time even after they called someone in. towels never seemed to be properly replenished. Small things. Our biggest issue is that the room was very basic for the price. And the bathroom, small, dark and had an odor. They offered free fruit, nice, but no free water, something that appears to be a basic in VN. Some of the larger rooms appeared nicer. The guests were very international and of all ages. Personally, we would not stay here again, too much of a buget hotel and I am surprised at its TA rating at #5.

Portland, Maine
Reviewed 10 February 2011

My stay at the Hai Au Hotel was interesting because I originally didn't book a room here. I had read the reviews here on TA and had booked (6 months in advance) a room at the #1 ranked hotel, the Betel Garden Homestay. 48 hours before my arrival, I emailed that property to reconfirm, and though they apologized, they forgot to actually book my room! They did kindly offer to book another room at an equally nice hotel for me, and they booked me a room at the Hai Au.

Needless to say, after this confusion, I was a little wary about what I would encounter upon arrival. I wasn't aware of this hotel, I didn't recall it from my research, but when I turned up, I was welcomed warmly. The gals who run the front desk are amazing. They immediately memorized my name and said hello every time I walked by! Given the confusion about the reservation and the fact that we were planning on staying at a competing property, they gave us a great, triple room at a discount.

The room was huge! The biggest king size bed I've ever seen, and an additional twin. There was a swan made out of towels on the bed, and a spread of fresh fruit in the fridge. During our stay, my husband and I also used the laundry service which was a great value (about $3.50US for all of our stuff). They also helped us book treatments at a local spa, which was a highlight of our trip.

Most hotels in Hoi An are not in the immediate little downtown area - only shops and restaurants line the main streets. The 10 minute walk to the Hai Au Hotel was easy and safe, and is normal for this area. Also, the free WiFi was super fast and the breakfast was one of my favorites of our entire month-long trip!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple