“Betel Garden my second home in vietnam”

Betel Garden Villas
Ranked #65 of 144 Hotels in Hoi An
Bern, Switzerland
“Betel Garden my second home in vietnam”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

we stayed 5 nights and it was wonderful. The places are clean, the restaurant is most excellent (better than most others in town) and the owner and her staff made every effort that we felt at home. It is a 20 minutes walk to town, taxis are cheap (around 1 US $). A place we can only recomment to everybody.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Eva-Maria H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 December 2011

In many respects, the Betel met or exceeded our expectations. The staff were very helpful, the garden setting was very pleasant, the breakfast delicious. However, the rooms could do with some improvement: sprung instead of sponge mattresses, hot water system with sufficient capacity to fill the bath, stronger lighting to permit reading at night, some more soft furnishings to improve ambience.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I loved this place. Tranquil, clean. Particularly Nguyen Dong, our charming host, who was attentive to our every need. It is a little bit away from the City center, but I did not see this as an obstacle - the staff will get you a cab, or you can hope on a "moto" without any problem. And bikes are readily available.

Room Tip: My room was fabulous. I thought I had asked for a deluxe (by phone); but we were charged for a stan...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Kent, England
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I was only here one night but wished I could have stayed longer as this was such a great place to stay. My first impression on arriving by taxi was the wonderful green and shaded garden which helped me cool down after my journey. My room was nice and big with both a bath and a shower, all very clean. Apart from the usual a/c and TV there was also the most impressive safe I've seen all trip! Talk about secure - this thing was big and must've weighed a ton! Great for stashing my valuables when I was out in the town. Everything here was well thought out and designed as a purpose built little resort with the nice bungalows in the garden and the small but well tended swimming pool over the tiny bridge. The dining area was open air but well kept and I was invited to a free dinner that night which was amazing with great food and free beer. It meant I got to meet not only all the other guests but also the manager and the owner too. Brilliant! Reception also had some PCs which came in very handy. And all the staff were genuinely friendly and helpful. When I left the owner came to personally say goodbye as I got into the taxi. In all a fabulous stay that had to be cut too short, but I can totally recommend this place to anyone. If I had any quibble it would be that it is a little far from the centre of things being a 15-20 min walk from the heart of the town, but that also means it is quiet at night, so swings and roundabouts.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank trailfinder58
London
Reviewed 30 November 2011

We stayed at Betel Garden for 3 nights two weeks ago - I couldn’t be happier with our choice, it was so nice and lovely – we didn’t want to leave.

The garden is beautiful and peaceful – a great place to sit on one of the rocking chairs and read a book while drinking Vietnamese coffee. Breakfast is plentiful and lovely and is served outside on the beautiful terrace. The pool area is all new and we had a great time splashing around. The rooms are large, slightly dated if anything – but everything is working fine and the rooms are spotless.

But the best thing about this B&B is people. People are warm and welcoming and took such a good care of us. Thank you!!! I would go back in a second and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Perth
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed here for 3 nights in room 105. Interesting to read another visitor had a bad experience in this room. In brief, the good: free laundry, lovely staff, tasty breakfast, clean room, free bikes.
The bad: rock hard bed, broken safe, noisy A/C, mice, not advised for solo women travelers due to far location from town centre.
The Ugly: rats and mice, though to be expected due to location.
Interestingly, my tour guide was of the firm opinion the place is haunted due to number of travelers who have had a bad experience in 105. I suspect it just has poor wiring! Nevertheless, will not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Sarv N
Singapore
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We booked 2 nights here after looking at reviews on TripAdvisor, and we're so glad we did!

Initially we were feeling a bit of regret, after our driver got lost trying to find the place in the pouring rain. But after we managed to find that, everything was great.

Firstly, the receptionist was really the nicest guy ever, genuinely warm and friendly. He also doubles up as the repair man and waiter :) I do wish I remember his name, the way he remembered all the guest names...but i really can't, so he's referred to as receptionist in the rest of my review...

The room was huge, and decorated simply, but in a distinctly Asian manner. There was even a mosquito net, which was rather re-assuring, since it was the rainy season when we were in Hoi An. We were never bitten though.. Oh there was a really old school safe deposit box in the room, very charming!

Breakfast was excellent as well. We loved the eggs with pork, sounds simple but tastes really good! And of course, don't forget to try their local noodles.....

Actually it was my birthday while we were there, we didn't tell them, but the receptionist wished me happy birthday over breakfast and I thought that was the end of it..but after we came back from our trip to town in the afternoon, suddenly there were 3 of them at our room door, with a bouquet of flowers (with gold sparkle on it!), a cake and sparklers, singing Happy Birthday to me! That the cake not only had my name on it, even the age on the candles was correct (uh...maybe i wished the age wasn't correct, hahaha!), how very sweet!

Some useful tips:
- To get to town, its a 25 minute walk, quite a straight forward route, unlikely to get lost..
- You can borrow their bicycles to cycle to town as well. You could just park somewhere and collect later, as the receptionist informed us "no one would steal them! they would rather steal a car!"
- Do also take up the receptionist's restaurant recommendation, though a bit more expensive than other restaurants, you won't regret it.
- There's a small swimming pool, so bring your swim suit! We didn't get to try it though...

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple