“Definitely stay here again”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of New Moon Hotel

and 1 more site!
New Moon Hotel
Ranked #55 of 322 Da Nang B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Definitely stay here again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

On my recent visit to Vietnam I stayed at this Hotel. I had seen it on line when I booked it, but when I arrived I wasn't expecting it to be so nice. Very clean and inviting was my 1st impression. The staff were fantastic. So friendly and helpful. My room was very pleasant, clean and comfortable. The bed was more comfortable than mine at home! I had a little problem with the TV but the helpful staff had that fixed in no time. I will definitely stay there when I visit again and definitely recommend it to you if you are reading this.

Room Tip: Get a room with riverview.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

Like other reviewers I picked this hotel based on the Lonely Planet review and whilst they did hype it up a bit much I was still satisfied. The reception staff are the first impression and the lady who greeted me was very friendly and asked me to view the rooms before deciding which I wanted. The room was clean with flat screen TV with cable channels and the wifi worked well for the most part. The location is river front and very convenient. I paid $20 for the night and feel that it was well worth the money. The only negative for me was the bathroom. I'm now used to the setup common here with the shower sharing a room with the toilet resulting in water splashing the floor but in my room the shower was located between the basin and the toilet resulting in the room being completely flooded. Still, that's a minor gripe. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Dockerdave
Coventry
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

On the surface this hotel looks like a nice clean modern hotel but once you look properly, it isn't. We stayed in room 703 and it seemed nice until in the evening the toilet got blocked and we had geckos and cockroaches in the room. We were then moved to room 303 which isn't the nicest room in the world because it has no windows. It was also in need of a deep clean. Overall I expected a better level of room when paying $22 in Vietnam.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 303. It is small, dirty and has no windows.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank dpw369

Travellers are raving about these Da Nang hotels

Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

I stayed at the New Moon Hotel last week on my way heading north. It was a great location along the river. Staff are super friendly and helpful. I booked a standard room and it was exactly what I needed. Clean, comfortable and minibar was resonably priced. Breakfast isn't included but can order from a menu for room service. Heaps of good drinking holes and restaurants around. I'll be staying there again if I'm ever in Danang.

Room Tip: All are good
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank chrishill_11
Adelaide Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Stayed 1 night at this hotel because it was recommended as a top choice in the New Lonely Planet guide - what a mistake - the hotel must have declined since it was reviewed by them.

We booked a family room - 1 double / queen and a single bed for our son. We were given a room on the fourth floor over looking the river - good view (cost $35). If we had known or been advised there were any better rooms we would have happily have paid more.

The good:

- Great view of the river if you get a river view room.
- The reception staff were helpful and very pleasant (though I did see them eating and using mobile phones at the desk).
- There is a lift - a bonus as some hotels don't have them.
- The air conditioning worked (but took an hour to cool the room when we first got in).
- The mini bar prices were very reasonable - a little bit more than the supermarket price but not by much.
- We walked 3 minutes to the Riverside restaurant (another top choice in Lonely Planet - and the food was good).
- 15-20 minute walk to the Big C supermarket / shopping centre or $2 in the taxi.
- Local Market across the road - loads of fresh foods in the downstairs area and material upstairs if you sew.

The not so good:

- If you have problems with stairs this is not the hotel for you - 1 full flight of stairs to go up/down to enter/exit the hotel (unless you get the staff to let you in through all the motor bikes etc into the lift at street level).
- Our room felt a bit grubby and we felt like we need to do a huge clean, even the windows had smear marks from previous occupants. (Fortunately the floor was clean - not gritty).
- Water leaked from under the bath and flooded the bathroom with water when you had a shower (the shower is hand held over the bath). There was mold growing in the corners etc, hair from previous occupants etc in the shower - the cleaners need to clean thoroughly not just a quick wipe and hope for the best.
- The bed sheet was clean but the quilt cover (no top sheet) did not feel crisp and clean it felt as though it had been slept in (though we couldn't be sure of this) - my husband insisted on sleeping in his shirt etc because of this.
- We wanted a cup of tea in the morning but there wasn't any tea cups only glasses.
- When we poured milk into one of the glasses for our son to drink we discovered the glass was dirty - probably residue left by coffee - had to pour his milk out - didn't want him to get sick!
- Be aware there is no complimentary bottle water and no breakfast if you need these.
- The river view rooms are noisier because of the honking etc from cars and motor bikes and in the morning the loud speaks along the river front play a Vietnamese version of Perry Como at about 630am (the rooms aren't doubled glazed). Slept well with the street noise but once Perry Como started that was the end of any sleep - good if your on an early flight home!
- Trying to get our bags out when leaving was very difficult - fortunately we didn't have to lug them down the entrance stairs (1 full level) - though I had to ask that we be allowed to use the lift which can only go to ground level if activated by a staff member (the lift wasn't offered!). Once at ground level you have to battle your way past the motor bikes which block the exit with your luggage - a staff member did try to assist after they could see I was having a great deal of difficulty.

All in all we won't back to New Moon and won't be recommending it to anyone else - it was our 7th hotel in Vietnam (and last before we flew home) all the others were very clean and we will be recommending most to anyone who asks. (With hind sight I think we should have stayed in Hoi An and gotten up earlier and taken a taxi to the airport from there).

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the river are scenic - with a great view of the river but they are noisy becau...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Napier, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

3 nights in New Moon for me and the worst Hotel for me in 4 weeks in Vietnam.

The Good :-
- If you have a room on the 6th or 7th Floor, you get a good view of the river and surrounds.
- A lift if you can't walk up flights of stairs
- Good A/C set at 18 Deg C
- Fridge & Table and chairs
- Close to "The Waterfront" restaurant & bar which is GREAT and well priced.

The Bad:-
- Certainly not worth $43 a night - usually pay $18 - $25 per night and have had great experiences in Vietnam in this price range - you can check my reviews. Was expecting much more for $43 at this Hotel and felt very let down.
- NO hot water....luke warm at best.
- My room 602, is in desperate need of a Deep Clean...marks, stains and splats on the wall, bathroom needs more than a quick wipe each day. Take a close look at the cleanliness of the room (Hotel Management if you read this?) and see if you think this room is Clean and Tidy?
- NO Breakfast offered with room fee, I was told where to go to get "American" food...just after I had handed over my NZ Passport :)
- Wifi is very unreliable. I work while I travel and was assured Wifi would be in the room...4 trips to reception to ask if this could be fixed....seemed like I was putting them out for asking for this to be fixed.
- Reception staff are busy eating, Txting on their phones and on the Internet, rather than doing their job.
- Website advertises Tea & Coffee service in the room - a Jug and small glasses which are impossible to use to drink hot, black coffee from. I asked for coffee when I arrived, recieved 3 in 1 mix and tea bags which are not replenished each day. I went to the Supermarket and bought coffee, sugar and a coffee mug....No big deal, but how hard is it to replenish this each day?

Lonely Planet has this Hotel as a "Top Pick", hence my booking, as of 22nd April 2012...this is my "Worst Pick" in 4 weeks in Vietnam.

Stay elsewhere for a better price.

Room Tip: if you must stay here....6th or 7th floor, but poor value for $$
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Hull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

Booked 2 nights in the suite, which had a great balcony attached. Room was spacious and clean, pick up from the airport efficient.

We liked the location and all in all, had a great stay, would recommend.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple