“Fantastic, beautiful, relaxing, best service staff anywhere”

Crowne Plaza Danang
Ranked #96 of 284 Hotels in Da Nang
Reviewed 14 January 2014

To begin with...the lobby is not A/c because it is open air and there was always a lovely breeze. Stunning in its design it is massive. When I went to check in I found out that my reservation had been accidentally made for a month earlier and since it was a reward points stay they had taken the points because they did not get a cancel notice. The most wonderful thing happened...the clerk sent us to the bar for a free beverage while she sorted it out. Since it was my error I was ready to pay any price to stay because it was awesome, but, when she came back she told me she had retrieved the points, put them toward this stay and then put us on the club level. GREAT SERVICE ABOVE AND BEYOND!
Our room had fresh flowers, a beautiful fruit platter and every amenity I could have imagined, refreshed every day. The club level has access to a private dining area for breakfast and evening buffet, including top shelf alcohol. there was also a private pool by the dining area and we could stay there all day and all beverages and food were complimentary. Although the resort was full there was never anyone else in the dining area or private pool. I dont know why except that most guests preferred to be in the casino.
Just because it is included doesnt mean no tipping and since we are generous tippers we became friendly with the servers....(still on facebook with most of them).
White powdery sand beach with warm ocean water, an infinity pool to die for and best $20.00 massage I ever had.
STAY AT CROWNE PLAZA

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Danang

Reviewed 16 July 2013

We had a 2 night stay in this hotel & from the moment you walk into the grand reception foyer, you are impressed by the scale of this hotel. Check-in was painless & we were shown to our room by a porter whose English was poor so couldn't really explain much about the facilities. The room was large & very impressive, lacking for nothing. The grounds & pool are marvellous & a real highlight of this hotel.

Ordering room service was an interesting experience since the phone service operator had surprisingly poor English considering she was the main conduit for communication with guests. This experience was shared by others in our group. Perhaps her Mandarin was better than her English since as others have commented, many guests seemed to be Chinese. She did get the room service people to call us back immediately so all was fine in the end & our late night snacks were delivered promptly & were fresh & hot. Once of our group wasn't so lucky in ordering room service but the next day they received a huge bowl of fresh fruit with a personal note of apology from the manager who followed this up to ensure everything was now OK - a nice touch.

The dining experience in Fresh was great although since it was hot during our stay & this area is covered but open, it was a little too warm for comfort. The restaurant staff were delightful. There was a seafood buffet the night we dined there with a daunting array of fresh seafood, much of which required cooking at the table & we have no idea how to prepare this. The staff were terrific in assisting us to make our selection then helping us to get it cooked & served creating a fantastic dining experience. We had a lot of fun & they shared many laughs with our tour group as we enjoyed a very Vietnamese dining experience. They also kept the (included) cold beer flowing which quickly overcame any concern about the heat. Breakfast the next day was just as wonderful & we were greeted by many of the same staff who had served us the night before & their friendly smiles were a great way to start the day.

Checkout was quick & efficient.

Room Tip: Some rooms seem to have quite a hike to central areas like reception & restaurants/bars so if yo...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2013

just came back from a holiday here.
The room is spacious and the infinity Pool fantastic they are the only good points. The foyer is not air conditioned the main eating area is not air conditioned.
The food was cold at breakfast although the range was good. the temperature in Vietnam at this time of the year is hot so I did not find this place comfortable unless you wanted to stay in your room or go to the casino at night. The front desk is a great walk to the lifts and so if you need something may take some time to get too. This place was not great to stay at. On a happy note the pools are amazing and the beach and activities were well catered for. it is such a shame the size has made such a difference to the quality of the area inside.

Room Tip: no good choice maybe one close to the lift all a long way away from all areas.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lynette W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Danang, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2013

Dear Lynette W,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our property. We strive to provide the best possible experience and it is great to read from our guests on how we are doing. We are glad you liked the pools and enjoyed the beach and activities. However, we regret letting you down on some aspects of your stay. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world class service to our guests.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 13 June 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with our small children as part of a trip around Vietnam. We were here 10 nights.

Rooms: they were large, and bright. We were in the north wing, on the even side, we had some (a lot) of construction noise and noise from the staff dormitories, scooters coming and going etc, however it did not bother us as our children were fascinated by the comings and goings of the construction workers - it might be a problem for others. We had a shortage if cost hangers and they brought an extra 5!! But better than nothing. We had a problem with the room cleaning, as they did not clean the room for a couple if days, despite putting the service room hanger on- they said we had DND, however the afternoon paper and the evening chocolates were always delivered in our room!! However confusion was sorted. The rooms have a big bathroom, with views over the peninsula. The bed counfatable. However we had small children, hence were out all day!

Meals, we had a couple of buffets and event buffets, BBQ's, we visited the Korean restruant, and we had access to the club lounge. All food and drink was to a high standard, staff very accommodating, especially while explaining the food. The shows at the weekend changed over the 2 weekends we were there, so some variety.

Pool and beach was fantastic, clean and vertically empty, lots of places to get a cold drink or a snack.

We went the the water puppetry show - all a bit odd to get the the casino as I had to walk the children plast adverts for "nightclub and sauna" a bit inappropriate - I'd suggest ignoring the door staff and physically walking round road side. The show was good, however the hotel missed a trick, they could sell drinks and ice cream to improve the service offers and to increase revenue!

We booked via ich website and we were considering this hotel or the intercontental in DaNang, however the on line chat person suggested that the crown plaza is better for children due the the kids zones (play area and water slides) they also mentioned that kids eat free- that swung it for us. However when ever we signed for a meal they did not understand, and when I checked out I was informed that it was not hotel policy, all very confusing,we looked on the hotel website and it was highlighted. So this is something you need to be aware of if you have children. Saying that the cost for food and drink was reasonable for an international hotel chain.

We went on a few day trips - the marble mountains, hoi an (twice!!)? Ba na hills, the son pensilular, the goddess, plus trips into Da nang. We used the hotel taxis, all very efficient, however we had one occasion when we used the same driver as on a previous trip and he was in a less powerful car, we had to spend a few hours in a lay by sorting out the problem!

We hired bikes from the hotel and cycled to My Keh beach, lots of lovely fish restraints along the way.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank extratowelsplease
Reviewed 8 May 2013

travel agency booked the hotel for my family, the price is quite reasonable. room is space and clean. breakfast is good with lots of options, we prefer the rice noodle and kinds of fruits. sands of the hotel are very good and white and clean, even better than some popular scence. My little daughter want to play in the sands from opening the eye to the midnight.
I have to say that the taxi drivers waiting in the front door of the hotel are not that good. we took the taxi twice from the hotel, both cost us much more than the return jorney.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank sunny9518
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Let me start off with the positive review of Crowne Plaza. It's an amazing hotel. It's huge, clean, and the views from the seaside rooms are amazing. The infinity pools are also very nice and relaxing. The decor was also very impressive. The rooms were spacious and luxurious. The beds were also perfect, and I had a good night's rest there.

Now with the negative. Let me start off saying that I am a seasoned traveler, and I can deal with hostels, guesthouses, and moderate hotels, BUT with 5-star hotels, I, as well as many other people, have expectations of what a 5-star hotel must have.

First, when we made the booking (directly with the hotel staff), we were told that our reservation came with breakfast. When we arrived, they told us that they had no recollection of this, and if we wanted breakfast we would have to pay an additional charge. So basically, we were lied to. I don't have any qualms of hotels charging extra for breakfast, but if I'm promised a service in a 5-star hotel, I expect to have that service delivered.

Second, we were having troubles with our internet in our room, so we called the front desk to help us with this problem. Front Desk told us that they would send an IT right away to help us. Apparently right away meant 45 minutes later. This was 45 minutes that we could've spent in the pool, exploring Da Nang or Hoi An, or 45 minutes to explore the hotel. But this was 45 minutes waiting in our room waiting for a service that was told to me would come "right away." Again, this is not something I would expect from a 5-star hotel.

Lastly, I want to write about the Water Puppetry entertainment that the hotel's casino provides. We were told by the Front Desk AND concierge that the show was free for all guests. The posters inside the hotel also didn't mention any prices for tickets for the show. When we arrived to the venue, there were two very well dressed women to greet us. They told us that the show was $25 per person and we needed tickets. At this point, I was frustrated beyond belief at this point, and after waking up my jet-lagged mother to attend the show, I wasn't going to bend backwards to pay this ridiculous fee.

I went back to the front desk, and they confirmed to me AGAIN that the show was free. They told me to return to the venue and tell the ladies that we were guests of their hotel. I told them, "NO! You need to come with me, and tell these ladies that we deserve to see this show for free. My mother is there waiting to be let in, and I don't want to be relaying messages for you. You need to come with me."

After returning to the venue, the ladies saw that I had a member of the Crowne Plaza staff with me, and let us in without question. There wasn't any communication between the hotel staffs-man and these ladies. **It was as if they knew they were in the wrong.** ALSO...as the show progressed, other guests of the hotel tried to get a seat, and they had the same problem with these ladies. I watched the ladies carefully, and throughout the entire show they didn't collect a single ticket or any money from any of the guests.

I would like to think that I am a very patient person, and you can read my prior reviews on TripAdvisor, and see that I am very capable of "rolling with the punches," but as I said before, with a 5-star hotel comes expectations. Honestly, if this was a 2 or 3-star hotel, I would give them a full 5-points. But for a 5-star hotel, this is just shameful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Autolycus91982
Andrew_Lambie, Manager at Crowne Plaza Danang, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2013

Dear Autolycus,

First of all thank you very much for taking your valuable time in providing your feedback over our property.

I truly recognized our shortcomings you had mentioned and we will overcome the challenges and move forward. Please accept my sincere apology for all the inconvenient caused to you.

Meanwhile, I do hope that you would revisit us in the very near future.

Best regards,

Adwin Chong

Reviewed 20 February 2013

Stayed here for a week in March 2012 , hotel is huge and rooms are large also .Most have great Ocean views and this hotel is directly on the beach. Large pool with no ledge that gives you a view to the sand.. Casino attached and 5 different styled restaurants. Chinese , Korean and Vietnamese the 3 main type.Great location with easy access to Denang and Hoi An. No travel desk for english speaking guest you will need to ask for the duty manager to get assistance. Reasonably priced.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple