“Awesome view, family oriented hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of A La Carte

A La Carte
Ranked #28 of 235 Hotels in Da Nang
Hanoi
“Awesome view, family oriented hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Awesome location for a reasonable price, very crowded when we arrived, and always have kids running around, giving a very family hotel feeling, which was perfect as I went with my young daughter. The design of the hotel was excellent considering no international management company is managing it.

Roof top infinity pool, basement kid's room, everything was design and thought through well. However the Housekeeping staff were slow, but I don't blame them as there were only 50 HSKP staff and there is 220 rooms in the hotel, and I guess they were running over 90% occupancy.

Breakfast was good for value, location and room view was awesome, we were on the 21/F, the 2nd highest, so I don't have any complain for this hotel.

Room Tip: High floors or low floor, otherwise in the middle the elevators will always be full with people goin...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ellen K
ALaCarteGM, General Manager at A La Carte, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Thank you for your great comments. I am happy to hear you loved our location directly opposite the beach. I am concerned to hear that the housekeeping service you received was slow, I have recently increased the number of staff working in this area. Note A La Carte Da Nang is managed by Serenity Holding which also manages Fusion Maia Da Nang and the new Alma Courtyard Hoi An.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

We have just left the A La Carte Da Nang after a 3 night visit and I so wanted to be able to give it a good review but unfortunately it just did not live up to expectations. Now maybe the problem was my expectations but I am not the type of person who complains because the sun set was at the wrong time or the lemon in my gin and tonic was too lemony, so here are some thoughts to manage your expectations if thinking of booking at this hotel.

Do not expect a good nights sleep. The walls are so thin and the doors and cheap and not sound proofed and even though we were at the end of the corridor we could hear every ding of the lift, every footstep on the corridor, every conversation and every door closing.

Do not expect to enjoy the rooftop pool or lounge area. This is a stunning facility with amazing views but over run with children both during the day and at night. This hotel is very popular with families and so as a couple with no children who were looking some peace and quiet and a nice drink, we were left disappointed.

Do not expect the shuttle bus to be on time. Even though most hotels offer free shuttle buses you have to pay to take the trip into Hoi An. Out of the 4 times we tried to use the bus, it was over half an hour late twice and didn't show up once leaving us sitting in Hoi An.

Don't expect to have anyone take your comments on board. Despite raising the issue of the shuttle bus with staff and being told they would speak with the manager we heard nothing. I expect a generic copy and paste response from the manager to be attached to this review like all the others.

Do expect good food from the deli in the lobby. Lovely menu and food is presented and cooked really well. Even though a sandwich takes about half an hour to arrive, if you have time it is worth it.

Do expect the majority of the staff to be very welcoming and helpful.

Do expect the standard of finish to the fixtures, fittings to be quite poor. Even the pool needs a lot of work done and it appears to be half finished with rubbish left lying over the sides.

Finally, do expect to be charged for everything on top of your bill. This is the hotel equivalent of a Ryan air flight. We asked to borrow a plug adapter for 2 hours and had to pay a 24 hour hire fee.

If heading to this area again I would definitely look at one of the many alternative hotels that offer a much higher level of both product and service at a similar price.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rik L
ALaCarteGM, General Manager at A La Carte, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
I am extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us. You have highlighted areas which we certainly need to improve on. I have followed up your feedback regarding the shuttle bus service and found several errors with communication were made. I have now taken steps to improve our procedures to ensure this does not happen again. I was also disappointed to see that the feedback you gave to Reception during your stay did not get passed on to me for follow up. I have reviewed all of your feedback and please be assured this is taken seriously by our team. I was however happy to read your comments about the food in the deli and our wonderful staff.
No Fixed Abode
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We didn't stay here as we stay nearby, just went to the rooftop bar & restaurant. Incredible views of Da Nang, the beach & the mounatins - spectacular setting! Very happy with our food and really enjoyed having a few drinks as the sun set over Da Nang. Definitely worth a visit!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Cleanliness
4 Thank bohobo
I certainly agree our rooftop on the 24th floor is definitely worth a visit! I am happy to hear you loved the spectacular views whilst enjoying your drinks.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had 3 nights at A La Carte. Firstly we were very happy with the design and cleanliness of our room. We had no problem with the wifi and our room was at the very end of the hall so we didn't have too much problems with noise. (One morning there was nearly morning construction which was very annoying) The buffet breakfast is delicious and quite cheap. After reading some of the other negative reviews I can see how they would be frustrated but our stay wasn't that bad. The infinity pool is AMAZING!!! Loved, loved, loved it! The rooftop bar is beautiful but can get full quickly.

Yes I agree that the hotel was either cheaply made or made quickly as its only a month old but already showing signs of wear and tear. We had no problem with the staff, if they did not understand english they would just get someone else to help us. The location of the hotel is very good, near restaurants and the beach.

But unfortunately I feel as if this hotel is ruined by the local people. For example every single time we were at reception we would ALWAYS get interrupted several times by local guests pushing in and asking the staff, whom we were currently talking to, whatever they needed to ask. So rude! Also when we checked in, the staff were taking us to our room and waiting for a lift, after patiently waiting for a couple of minutes a lift would arrive and the local guests would push in front of us (who had not been waiting, they just had good timing to arrive as the elevator came) and fill the entire lift so we had to wait for the next one. This happened twice! In the morning when we went to check out I noticed cigarette butts INSIDE next to the elevator! Vietnamese parents seem to lack discipline for their children as there are screaming running children everywhere!
Such a shame, a good hotel ruined by the local guests. Unless you like noisy families I would probably look to book somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Taniae W
ALaCarteGM, General Manager at A La Carte, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
I really enjoyed reading your comment regarding our AMAZING rooftop pool which you loved loved loved! We are working hard to create a relaxed environment for all of our guests. The hotel was particularly busy during your stay due to school holidays and this season will conclude soon.
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

My family and I just returned from A La Carte after staying there for 9 nights. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The staff were great, very friendly, thoughtful and went out of there way to make us feel welcome and at home. The food was really good, sometimes a little slow to appear but worth the wait. The rooftop pool was incredible and was a nice relaxing place to hang out after a nice well priced massage! Thanks to Joel and the team for making it a great holiday!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Cleanliness
4 Thank Rob-Mielle
Thank you for your great comments regarding your recent holiday! Yes, our Spice Spa does offer very affordable prices for the amazing treatments given. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

wonderful new hotel, unfortenately bad management, no trained personal. guest relation told me i have to pay extra if i care for a normal american coffee for breakfast?! asking for housekeeping, they told this is only every fourth day - explaining this is part of strategy? strange answers. nevertheless this hotel has a splendid view and a beautiful bar with very nice staff at roof top, which one should visit while staying in da nang.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Maria5580
Thank you for your feedback and it is great to read your comments regarding the rooftop bar staff. For our buffet breakfast in the main restaurant there is an additional cost for the international coffee but local coffee is included in the buffet price of $5++ per person. We do provide full housekeeping services including daily room cleaning. I will be sure to include your feedback into our staff training programs to ensure there is an improvement with communication from our team.
Gold Coast, QLD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014

We book A La Carte on the premise that this brand new hotel looked great in the photos. Boy were we wrong!

NOISE
The hotel doors are not sound-proofed, expect to hear noisy guests and the elevator all day and night in your room.
The spa is on the same level as the pool but not separated by a door. Expect to listen to screaming children and noisy guests whilst getting a treatment. Hardly relaxing.

SMELL
Our bathroom smelt of a filthy sewer.... It was horrible!

RESOURCES
The pool is not large and cannot cater for the 200+ rooms at the hotel.
There are only 3 lifts. We waited up to 20 minutes to use them each time everyday.
There are no compendiums in the rooms which equals no room service or prices of using the facilities like phones etc. When we asked at reception for the cost of using the phone, 3 staff tried to help us but didn't have an answer.
There is ZERO WIFI in the rooms.

When you arrive the hotel they give you a big speal about 'the choice is yours'. What ever you want you can have at A La Carte... Yeah right!
There are no pedicure, manicure or facial services in the spa.
There is no ordering sandwiches from downstairs to eat near the pool.
There is no tea or coffee in the rooms or even a dish cloth.

Whilst the hotel had only been open 40+ days when we arrived it looked closer to 400! Everything is dirty, cracked and damaged. This place has has either been rushed and/or done on the cheap. I dread to think what it will look like in a year.

Don't stay here if you're looking to relax.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank dreamingtraveller2
I appreciate your feedback, as a brand new hotel I will ensure we include that in our training program and procedure upgrades.

We are excited by the overwhelming interest in our fresh & exciting new beach hotel, for our first month and wish to thank everyone for their support.