“Bad food bad service” 1 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Bad food bad service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

People said, all the best sea food from Mui Ne will sent to HCM, I feel that's true. I don't know where is the good sea food restaurant in Mui Ne, but I believe most of the people will choose Boke since it's so nice to sit down outside at windy seaside at night, enjoy outdoor atmosphere drink beer BBQ sea food with friends, but we got the atmosphere without good food....

We ordered two BBQ lobster, one is very good, but unlucky another one is terrible, meat was loose, when we asked for the waiter, he said " sorry, We didn't realize this is not fresh, let me change another one for you." well, maybe you will say at least they showed good attitude, but the point is fisher man sell seafood everyday, how come they cook something not fresh but still serving you?

We also ordered something else, including BBQ crocodile( nothing special), one steam strange red crab( more expensive than lobster, also nothing special, better choose blue crab), tiger prawn(overcooked), grill frog( overcooked), BBQ mussels( the only good thing), BBQ squid (overcooked again!!!) seafood fried rice( terrible!)

After this meal, each of us all feel hungry and upset, we will never choose to eat seafood in Boke anymore because I can get much much better quality sea food in Ho Chi Minh city easily.

• Visited April 2013

• Korean first
“Worst service ever!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2013 via mobile

I was forced to come here with a group of friends who like seafood and wanted to try the fresh stuff they had on offer. As someone who can't stand seafood this wasn't the best place for me but looking at their menu there seemed to be a decent selection of meat dishes so I ordered a beef noodle dish from a kid who couldn't have been more than 14 and bizarrely was smokin like a chimney as he worked but he didn't understand a word and couldn't even seem to read the Vietnamese names of the dishes from the menu. I then checked with a second kid who managed to repeat the word noodle and walked off - I figured I might at least end up with a plate of something edible. Oh how wrong I was! After much messing up of the simple drinks order, beer water and coke, I eventually got my coke but trying to get water was like getting blood from a stone. Quite quickly the large shrimp and oysters my friends ordered arrived and they enjoyed the oysters especially but their rice and vegetables were nowhere to be seen. After several attempts they managed to get their rice but my food never came. By this point I was starving and ended up going down the road to jibe's which was frankly first rate food in a lovely relaxed setting. ps. Nobody got the runs so the seafood was evidently fresh but don't go here if you expect any kind of service at all!

Singapore, Singapore
“Last night dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2013

Affordable seafood dinner for two? Look no further. A whole stretch of seafood fare for you to feast. Forget about asking for special orders though. Point (at the menu), eat and pay. Their limited English is a challenge but food is delectable! Price is right too!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Rosz R
London, United Kingdom
“Great seafood in a carpark - brilliant!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

Right firstly this is a confusing one. Lonely plant highlight Bo Ke as a place to eat and as it points out all the restaurants along this part of the strip have some form of Bo Ke in the name. They recommend eating at the original one which is full of tourists and locals but this is difficult when they all are. We employed the tactic of walking along and looking at the all the Bo Ke(s) and seeing which one we fancied most. We ended up eating at the 2nd to last Bo Ke which had a 'Quan' in it's neon sign. We were walking towards the Mui Ne end away from Ham Tien. Basically it is a large plot with loads of concrete benches and tables so we figured this must have been here a while. It also was the one with most varied selection out front - lobsters, mussels, clams, scallops, prawns etc and various fish swimming in tanks.

For starters people who leave critical reviews of these types of places need to consider what they want from life. You are basically eating great seafood in a car park so of course there might not be toilets and the table might not be spotless...who cares!

Basically grab a seat, order a beer and then wander up to the seafood selection and pick what you want and they tell you how it will be cooked and what with. Price wise lobster was about 380,000 a kilo, massive prawns 400,000 a kilo, crab 350,000 a kilo. Mussels, scallops, clams come a plate of around 10 priced at 40-50,000 per plate. Large tiger beers were 15,000. This is cheapest seafood you will get in the resort and also turns out the best by a country mile. We had a 1.5kg lobster which was smoked on a BBQ with a few herbs, cooked to perfection no hint of the rubber effect you get when overlooked. I would also recommend the prawns and any shellfish dish. The service is great, you have to stick you hand in the air to grab another beer - you are not paying for white cloth service here. We ate there twice and the bill came to around 500-600,000 (for two) which included about 4 large beers. You cannot really complain about that. There is a bucket of water to rinse your hands in along with everybody else so I would bring some sort of wet wipe because it gets a bit sticky when you rip a lobster etc to shreds with your hands. A lot of people complain that the seafood is dead, well yes certain things are like the bucket of lobsters and prawns. It is however in ice cold water and they keep bringing fresh stuff from the back when it gets cooked. We ate there twice and had no upset stomachs etc and the food is very hot as it has came straight from BBQ to plate in about 10secs. Just to bear in mind in that the food will come as cooked and as ordered....in you want any sides then order at the same time as the seafood. We had a seafood noodles which were great.

In summary, visit this place (the one I described) as you will not be disappointed, the no frills seafood will be far better and cheaper than elsewhere in the resort although I would make sure you can survive a few hrs without the toilet as I am not sure there is one nearby.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank James W
SouthEast Asia
“Rats and sewage...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

I realize Bo Ke isn't fine dining, and I'm comfortable eating street food and at little grimy restaurants, but I really didn't expect Bo Ke to be as unappealing as it actually was.

The first problem was that we ate there too late (8pm). If you go to Bo Ke, it need to be earlier in the evening when the ice hasn't melted, the seafood is still alive, and the grounds are still relatively clean.

By the time we arrived, the "live" seafood was already dead, and the grounds were littered with shells, half-eaten food, tissues, plates, utensils, etc. It was really unappealing to see our food on the same plates and utensils that were scattered on the ground - Still... I was excited to try the food.

Then came the smells... There is a nearby toilet area located next to the restaurant, and the wind just kept blowing in the smell of stale pee and sewage. We ended up changing tables farthest from the bathrooms... but then that took us to the table closest to the giant rat nest on the other side of the restaurant. As we were eating, big rats were scurrying around the tables picking up all the food on the ground / off the plates.

At that point, I had to stop eating. The food wasn't bad.... but I had lost my appetite by that point, and it just wasn't good enough to ignore the fact that we were eating in a stinky, rat infested area.

There are simple things that the restaurant could do, such as put trashcans out on the ends of the tables, offer wet wipes (after all, you're eating with your hands... and they only offer toilet paper), and hire more people to bus the tables.

The restaurant next to the one we were eating at looked significantly cleaner- however, I just don't think I would ever go back to that area. Thoroughly disgusted....

• Visited September 2012