“It was the worst place I stayed”

Rock Water Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #80 of 123 Hotels in Phan Thiet
“It was the worst place I stayed”
Reviewed 21 March 2013

The location is so remote and if you go anywhere they charge almost 10x more if you want to rent a scooter the rates are about 3x more and everything they sell their is over priced we stayed for almost 100$ new year dinner but we had to cook our own food when I spoke with the manager about all the problems like room with no phone so we had to go walk all the wayback to speak with front desk and the over priced scooter was taken before the time because they needed for another customer the room air conditioner did not work so we had to sweat all night long for 2 nights ccan't even sleep when I spoke with manager the manager gave a comp drink and that's it not refund for self made dinner or comp for no account rooms nothing its just a place to hold you and take your money

• Stayed December 2012
Rockwaterbay, Người quản lý at Rock Water Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2016
Dear Yun Hee C,

The warmest greeting from Rock Water Bay Beach Resort & Spa.
We are sorry to hear that. Since your visit, we have checked and upgraded our room facilities and services as well.
We do hope to bring you all better vacation.
We wish you all the best.
Rock Water Bay Beach Resort & Spa.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Vietnamese first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 3 February 2013

We stayed @ Rock water bay on Jan 2nd-5th for family holiday, after long bus hopping trips (our route was HCMC, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Bangkok, Mui-Ne then back HCMH), and it was a nice treat to stay here.
Our rooms (we had 3 rooms all facing the sea) were spacious, nice view on each balcony & we love its salt-water swimming pool. Its location literally on the rocks, so you will be entertained by sounds of rocking waves (and seriously no sea/beach swimming allowed).
Its a pity the restaurant & some area of this hotel are wasted by rubbish (this hotel covers wide contoured area).

Breakfast were ok, extra patience (& do use short sentence + gestures) whenever you need special requests, since only limited staff in here speaking only limited English. If you have communication problem (language wise) the nice girl Nhga @ front desk will help you. Actually, so far Ngha is the only staff who have broadest vocab & always smile.

Location wise its about 1 hour drive to tourist-center of Mui Ne (local bus operate up to 7pm daily), thats where you can find great local seafood stalls, souvenirs stores, fun pubs & hundreds of hotels, mostly serve (I think about 90%) Russian tourists.
So if you are looking for lively beach holiday, dont go Rock water bay.

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious (and good price), so do not hesitate to book & stay in family or deluxe o...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank betheeful
Dear Betheeful,

The warmest greeting from Rock Water Bay Beach Resort & Spa.
Thank you for your reviews.
Our Resort is located by the beach, far from City, We would like to bring you a calm vacation for your stay, to recover you. Sine we have developed Spa and restaurant service, pool bar to feature more valued add services for your stay.
We wish you all the best and looking forward to seeing you soon.
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I stayed at this resort as part of a company trip and found the resort to be fairly good but could certainly do with improving. The access to the rooms involved a lot of steep staircases and is difficult for children and elderly people. The lunch and evening dinner menu is good but the breakfast is limited for western tastes. They kept running out of coffee and drinks and the food was generally quite cold.All in all not too bad but I agree that other resorts in the area are better.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank SimmyTaipei
Dear SimmyTaipei,

The warmest greeting from Rock Water Bay Beach Resort & Spa.
Since your review, we have checked and upgarde restaurant, menus, buffet brekafast as well to bring your a pleasure stay with us.
We are looking forward to seeing you soon.
Warm regards from us!
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Pros: Great location if you want to stay out of the crowd. Nice, large swimming pool with sea water. Sea view for all rooms. Budget room rates, mine was $65/night

Cons: Foods and drinks price quite expensive. CRT TVs with very limited channels. Wifi and 3G networks dont work at some remote rooms.

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank pilsener8
Dear Pilsener8,

The warmest greeting from Rock Water Bay Beach Resort & Spa.
Thank you for your kind reviews.
We have developed restaurant, food menus with more choices, spa with Hymalayan steambath, high speed Wifi for a pleasure stay.
We wish you all the best and looking forward to seeing you soon.

Singapore
Reviewed 19 December 2011

we stayed at this resort for 3 nights. the rooms were huge and clean. we had an awesome view of the pool and the sea. the pool was fantastic. you can go right to the edge of the pool where you're practically in the sea. the bar played techno music for most of the day which was a tad annoying. they start playing it from 9am. if you dont like it, get a room away from the bar. taxi from mui ne to this resort cost us about 40USD ( abt 40 km away). if you want to go to phan thiet city by cab its about 30 USD ( 30km away). i suggest you take the public bus for less than a dollar to get to the city. great hotel but very far from everything else

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank melliet
Dear Melliet,

The warmest greeting from Rock Water Bay Beach Resort & Spa.
Thank you for your reviews.
Our Resort is located far from Phan Thiet City, far from noisy city in order to bring you a escape stay, and calm vacation. Since your feedback, we have upgarde Spa with new Hymalaya steamed bath, restaurant and pool bar as well so that all in house guests could enjoy more.
We are looking forward to seeing you.
London
Reviewed 9 March 2010

My wife and I came here with quite a few members of her family for 3 nights. The reception is located at the top of the rocks and you need to do down steep steps to get to the rooms, although there is a lift (elevator) you can use.
We were shown to our room by one of the hotel staff. On entering the room, I was pleased at how spacious it was and at how large the bed was. There were 4 steps leading up to the bathroom, which was also very nice and spacious. A good start!
The bad side was the Louvre type slats near the door. You can't open and close them and so therefore they always let in the hot air from outside.
My Vietnamese wife informs me that Phan Thiet is just about the hottest place in Vietnam, so it's nice to have a cool room. We had the Air conditioning on and also the ceiling fan but could still feel the hot air. We found it's actually better if you don't have the fan on but only the AC.

The view from our room was great though and we had a lovely view of the ocean. You can hear the sea at night, as the hotel is very close to the beach but I found this to be really relaxing.
If you come here, then take some' weapons' and protection with you! There were lots of mosquitoes in the room. Had I known, I would have taken one of the famous Vietnamese Mosquito zappers with me! There is a mosquito net on the bed and I advise you to use it. The mosquitoes enjoyed me as much as I enjoyed the location.

We went on to the beach just an hour after arriving at 5pm and the sea was a little rough but very warm and exciting. Later, we went to the hotel restaurant for dinner.
We had a large table for all of us and the menu looked appetising and varied with both Western and Vietnamese food. So we waited for our food and I waited and waited and waited. Our family all had their food but I think they forgot me, as 90 minutes later I was still waiting. My niece and brother-in-law complained bitterly but were told my food took a long time to cook! Hmm. Eventually I lost my appetite and asked for the item to be taken off the bill. I was told it could be brought to my room but still had to pay for it, so I declined and left the restaurant abruptly and unhappy. After more discussion between my niece and the staff, it was brought to my room free of charge, so I was happy then and it was actually very nice.
This is still quite a relatively new resort but the staff really need to be trained better.
We had the feeling they didn't really care, which is unusual for Vietnamese. However, after complaining to the hotel manager, he did offer us a 10% discount off our meals and the extra bed in 1 room and we also returned to our rooms after breakfast the next day to find a bottle of wine in the room So that was a very nice gesture.

The next day my wife went to the beach early, only to discover oil on her costume and on the beach. On further inspection,. we could see a lot of oil in the water and on the beach, so that meant no more swimming in the sea. Very sad to see this on a lovely beach but apparently a ship had discharged it's oil tanks out in the ocean. Vietnam really has to deal with these ships, or they will lose the tourists the clammer for.

A short walk from the hotel, is an outside spa, where you can get a massage and sauna...like you need a sauna in the Vietnam sun!
A little drive away from the hotel will take you to famous sand dunes of Phan Thiet. You should try to pay them a visit, as it looks just like the Sahara there.

We used the restaurant again on the 3rd night and the service was much improved and excellent. Breakfast is a buffet but I found the choice was not a lot. The drinks and food were constantly running out and it seems like breakfast is run on a budget. Not very appealing.
They do have a lovely swimming pool, which is warm and filled with salt water and also has 2 hot tubs but the pool was not lit when it was dark.

So, a fantastic location and nice rooms but we feel there is room for some improvement. It was a shame about the oil but that was not the hotel's fault. I enjoyed my stay here but I don't think I would come back. If you go further down the coast to Mui Ne, you will find Phu Hai resort, which although more expensive, is a considerably better resort. We had dinner there on the 2nd night and the service was exceptional and so was the food. I would certainly go there next time but it was an experience and I would not put anyone off trying the resort, as I feel it will get better.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
7 Thank robinvn
Dear Robinvn,

Thanks for your reviews.
Since your reviews, we would love to check and upgarde all Resort service to serve all guests better.

We are looking forward to seeing you soon and enjoy a new stay with us.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Phan Thiet
TTC Resort Premium - Ke Ga
TTC Resort Premium - Ke Ga
#115 of 123 in Phan Thiet
Bau Mai Apricot Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Rock Water Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!