“potential or seen better days”
Review of White Sands Resort

White Sands Resort
Ranked #38 of 129 Hotels in Phan Thiet
Reviewed 28 January 2014

The best thing about this place is the beach. Its so good that guests from the hotel next door came
over to lounge into the hotels sun chairs. Luckily we already had our chairs. Beautiful white sand beach with lots of loungers, bar nearby with service to your chair. All around beach area is a 10. The restaurant is big average food compared with other places. Breakfast in the morning was cold, even on our second morning we showed up early and it was still cold. Even though there were burners under a few servers. The pool looked nice and the grounds were ok. With all the gardeners around I expected a litlle more, especially by the beach front rooms. Garbage in the pots for days and staff busy taking pictures of each other. The hotel is a few kilometers from town and the hotel has motorbikes for rent. Make sure you dont drive through red lights, 40km/hr and have your license on you, Just saying.The rooms are what ruined this experience for me. Old worn out tiles, orange dots on the wall about fan height from god knows what being flung around, burnt out bulbs in the room that we asked to get replaced but didn't, tv was on the brink at night and cock roaches. I don't mind bugs and I know we are by the beach but for the price it was unacceptable. I read a lot of other reviews and the owners responses but for the price I would look elsewhere. The staffs english was probably some of the worst through my 2 months of travel. This is really hard for me to rate, it really is hit or miss and traveller dependant. The place is huge, waiting for the future surge or it has already sailed. Personally I wouldn't recommend this unless you want to be in a quite place with a great beach, don't expect more.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Perogiee
HarryWSR, Manager at White Sands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review White Sands Resort. This is not the experience we would like any of a guests to have at White Sands and is below the high standards we set here. We can a sure you that this resort has not already sailed and that the hard working staff at White Sands are always working together to constantly improve the stay of our guests. I hope that if you return to Mui Ne you will try White Sands Resort again as I know we have a lot more to offer.

Also during our next team meeting I will be putting forward to the staff here the issues in your review and we will work to resolve them.

I apologias for not meeting you during your stay as I sure things could have been improved.

Regards
Harry Baker

Reviewed 22 January 2014

just got back from 12 nights stay at this hotel.A great little place to stay with a fantastic clean sandy beach just yards from our 2 bedroom bungalow.The hotel grounds and pool were very well maintained and all the staff were very pleasant.The breakfast was plentiful and fresh every day.The beach was clean and quiet and swimming in the sea was ok.Harry and Jordan were really good and gave us some tips and organised our pick up and drop off to SGN airport.The hotel is about 5km from the town but there are plenty of taxis to take you there and back for around 100.000 dong (£3.00) each way.Would recommend this place and hopefully will return one day and bring Harry some more marmite and a few bottles of magners! thanks to all at White Sands.Nick,Sue,Kevin and Julia

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank nickp91

Thank you very much for taking the time to review White Sands Resort.

It was a pleasure to have you stay and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay also to hear of your possible return is great! Jordan and myself are always happy to assist guest with tips or to organise transport ect... I am happy this helped you.

Thank you very much for the cadburys chocolate it was much appreciated.

Regards
Harry Baker

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I was looking for an affordable (<$100USD) beachfront place where I could relax, take in the sun, listen to the surf, swim a little, and have a few drinks. This fit the bill perfectly and I lucked out in my girlfriend and I choosing it.

White Sands is located just off Highway 1 just north of Phan Thiet and along the Miu Ne strip of many other similar resorts. Like the other resorts on the east side of the road, it has prime real estate in that is has a private beach.

The bus from HCM City dropped us off on Highway 1 what looked like the middle of nowhere (although we would later find out we were just in front of the local university). But we found out shortly that White Sands was about 700 meters away , about a quarter mile as the crow flies. As there are many hotels in the area, a taxi came by quickly and brought us to WS (although it brought us to a resort next door because we made the mistake of using the Vietnamese name on our booking page).

We were greeted at the front desk by the receptionist. Her English was better than our Vietnamese and we got checked in quickly and made our way to our room, a nice bungalow with cathedral ceilings on the beach equipped with a TV, ceiling fan, hot water heater (for coffee), safe, desk, a good-sized bathroom, and a nice little porch/balcony with wicker chairs.

The A/C worked fine for those somewhat humid days (most days were quite comfortable). The shower pressure was rather weak but for good reason as the area is one of the driest in the country and to conserve they use tankless water heaters.

The rooms are clustered in groups of five or so, nearly all on the beach, or more accurately, along the retaining wall. My girlfriend spoke with the father of the managers (two young British guys), who was visiting for Christmas, and he said it keeps back the sand which was generated by the extensive sea wall along the southern boundary of the property. The whole place is maintained constantly and well by a small army of local workers, gardeners, repairmen, security, and cleaners.

As one can see from the pictures, the beach area in front of the beach side rooms has permanent umbrellas with reclining chairs. Reserve them early with your beach towels (provided) The beach is approximately 50 meters from the bungalows, a very flat area of clean white, dry, fine, sand until one gets to the surf area. The private beach is well maintained and long enough for there to be kids playing in the sand, people horsing around in the surf and one can still lay out in the sun, read under the umbrella, or sleep in solitude and peace.

A smallish but well maintained pool sits back between the restaurant and reception/management office so one can eat poolside or under cover of the restaurant. In fact, this resort is small enough where they will bring it virtually anywhere to you on the resort (I estimate about 20-25 rooms total). We did not use the gym or spa.

There is a beach side bar, a poolside bar (which I did not see get used) and they, of course serve drinks in the restaurant. Again because the way the living/ dining area of the resort is laid out and most of the property is the beach itself, each bar takes about 20 seconds walking.

If you are looking for a party place, this won't be a place for you. there were times when (and this could have been due to the Christmas season) I felt like there were only a handful of us there..and in reality there were when we first arrived. Again, the number of rooms was very manageable so it was not a large amount of visitors anyway. The clientele were mostly European with some Russians (I think) who were in couples or families. Only rarely did I see folks drinking and frequently it was after hours, when the staff had retired for the night, using locally procured spirits.

We didn't travel much but the hotel staff linked us up with a driver to take us to a local Buddhist monastery (Ta Cu) and the Mui Ne shopping strip was a short taxi drive north.

If I had one criticism of this great place it was the customer service. Now the staff themselves were very polite and friendly. But they seemed hesitant and/or lacking proactivity when it came to ordering food and drink. Frequently, the complimentary breakfast ran out of an item (including glassware or silverware) and had to be prompted to replace.

We noted the beach bar closed an hour later than it said on the program and frequently did not make a "last call" announcement but merely turned off the bar lights and told us goodnight. Rarely were we asked if we wanted another round.

Ordering did not follow Western customs, which is surprising considering the demographics of the customers. Instead of ordering a drink and being given some time to look through the menu, they would hover. When we let them know we needed a minute, they'd sometimes disappear into the back room not to be seen again. Sometimes we'd be asked the next day to sign off on an order from the day prior.

As we were there for Christmas, we opted for the Christmas Eve dinner. It was pricey but it was a great spread of food and drinks (included) poolside with live entertainment, a Filipino band playing Christmas songs. The turnout was disappointing (I would guess due to lack of emphasis and marketing) which is a shame because the managers put a lot of effort and time into it.

Finally, again, given nationality of the management and the clientele and the preference for English I saw elsewhere in Vietnam, I was surprised how little English most of the staff spoke. Again, maybe the were more adept at Russian but i mostly saw northern European visitors. One of the staff, who was Vietnamese, was a little older (35?) and more experienced and really had a grasp of the concept of customer service and doing his best to instill it in the younger staff members.

The customer service issue was really nothing more than a nuisance as the feel of the place is laid back, slow, and causal anyway, as that's what we came her for. Whatever they lacked in (Western) customer service they made up for in politeness and attitude.

We lucked out in that the managers' father and uncle visited the week were there and they were outgoing and offered to help us in securing rides, giving us great local suggestions, and answering any number of questions.

They've collectively put much work and time into this place and it shows. My prediction is that it will be that diamond in the rough which will only get better in the years to come. We enjoyed ourselves immensely as it was up to us what we did and the folks who worked there pointed us in the right direction and took care of our needs. We would have stayed later if we could and started talking about a return trip immediately.

Room Tip: Most rooms are right at the retaining wall at the beach but a handful are set back by the receptioni...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PitbullSix
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We stayed here for a week and had a lovely stay. We had a beach view room and it was fantastic. Cleanliness of the rooms wasn't very good. There was still rubbish from a previous guest still in the drawers and we missed getting the room cleaned twice though it was acted on very quickly once they were notified.
The breakfast wasn't very inspiring . In fact after a couple of days I gave it a miss.
The hotel is in a lovely location with a great beach. It is quiet with not much happening in the evenings but a lovely place to relax.
Give the cocktails in the bar a miss. We tried about 3 or 4 and they were all pretty bad!
We would go back to this hotel if we returned to mui ne . The management are great , they just need to sort out their staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2014

The hotel itself has the perfect location with the beach on your doorstep. Everything you could want is offered on site with service minded staff who are always happy to help. The family in charge of the business are always keen to help and will go out of their way to ensure the guests are never lacking anything! All in all this resort made our holiday a brilliant one and I can warmly recommend it to anyone who is traveling to Vietnam!

Room Tip: Chose beach view if you like falling asleep to the sound of the waves
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
HarryWSR, Manager at White Sands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you very much for your review of White Sands Resort.

It was a pleasure to have you and your family staying with us at White Sands for the second time and we hope that you will return again next year as we really enjoy having you here.

From all the staff at White Sands Resort thank you for you stay.

harry@whitesandresort.com

Reviewed 6 January 2014

I will start this review with something positive: white sands has one of the best beaches we saw in Mui Ne. It is sprawling with soft sand and very quiet and private.

I stayed here over New Year's Eve with my cousins and we chose it because it was the only place in Mui Ne not charging a mandatory exorbitant fee for a NYE banquet dinner. It was still $135 per night which is easily 3x more expensive than any other hotel we stayed in during 3 weeks in Vietnam. When we arrived we immediately expressed some concerns about the room- we were changed a large extra fee for a 3rd bed, but the cot which was provided was very poor. We were given free drinks in the bar and our concerns were never addressed. The resort is run by a British family, the older of whom were two brothers who, from the start, were drunk and inappropriate.

The breakfasts were very bad- almost inedible. Stale croissants, and I swear, the day after their NYE party they served what could only have been the leftovers from the previous night. Also on jan1 there was not a staff member to be seen anywhere on the resort except reception and the bar was closed. I asked reception twice over an hour and a half period for a beach chair and was told to wait both times, but no one ever got it for me.

Overall my stay here was not good.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gigialexandra
HarryWSR, Manager at White Sands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Thank you Alexandra for your review of White Sands Resort.

The beach at White Sands Resort is by far one of the best along the strip if not the best.

Starting with the cost of your room please understand that your stay was during a very busy period for the area and that White Sands Resort is always competitively priced. You can see from other reviews that many other guests found our rooms to be ' great value for money'. Also had you have stayed in any other resort in Mui Ne you would have been forced to pay $100 per person for a new years gala dinner taking this into account your stay at White Sands Resort was relatively inexpensive.

The price of an extra bed is written on the booking site you booked the hotel through and so you should have been aware of the extra cost you had to pay as it is made very clear when you book with us.

I would like to make it clear that the two older men you mention were only on holiday here and that it is only my brother and myself that run the resort us being two young Englishmen.

I am sorry to hear this about are breakfast as normally guests describe it as 'good' and 'very substantial'. Perhaps it was just not to your taste we will work on incorporating some foods from America.

I am very disappointed you did not discuss any of this with myself or my brother as we had seen and spoke to your several times during your stay. Had you have mentioned anything to us it would have been resolved.

From everyone at White Sands Resort we would like to thank you for your stay.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

White Sands resort is a calm resort with a wonderful beach. In fact the best beach in Mui Ne. Several other resorts doesn't even have a beach, only rocks.
The staff are really working hard to make everyone satisfied. Harry and Jordan, keep up the good work. We spent 9 days here and it was very very relaxing. We do indeed recommend this resort to people travelling to Mui Ne.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple