“If only !”
Review of White Sands Resort

White Sands Resort
Ranked #38 of 129 Hotels in Phan Thiet
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This really is a great little resort just perfect for us, an energetic 60 something couple, but will, of course, suit most people. Everything has been said about this resort in previous reviews and all seems fairly accurate. The resort is about 3 kms from shops, restaurants and nightlife but it is a lovely walk along the beach and a 3 usd.taxi ride back.
The resort,we had a beach front room with a jaw dropping view, the bathroom was big but with a small area to place all your toiletries the shower was the worst one we have had but was adequate, the room and bed was a good size with a stocked fridg,a good size TV with plenty of channels. The bed linen was clean but there was a very unpleasant stain on the net curtain.
We ate and drank in the hotel and can say the food was great and reasonably priced but oh the service!
Now the if only, if only Harry and his brother was there during our stay I am sure our stay would have been more enjoyable,we asked about trips but no one could help or could not understand us,the service in the resort was at times abysmal with the younger staff more interested in their phones and internet, no service from the beach bar to the beach and no pool bar, the pool was not clean the staff spent several days sorting it out.
The price we paid for 9 nights over usd 800 was not good value
If only Harry and his brother was there.

Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank Shelagh G

Reviewed 25 February 2014

This resort is one of the best i visited. With the wife, kids and recently with a close friend....excellent hospitality and wonderful staff. Although the staff is not proficient in english (Most hotels in Vietnam are the same fashion) their wonderful smile and their respect for your privacy tops everything else. Nice beach, WOW sun rise and sun sets from your room.....would definitely visit this resort everytime i goto Phan Thiet....Management was excellent in arraning a tour guide as well for the days we spent there without any hassel. If you wish to contact the management Mr. Harry, please do....harry@whitesandresort.com. I can only ask you to please honor your booking if you decide to contact him directly.

Room Tip: Families best to chose the garden view 2 room bungalow and singles go for the beach front single roo...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Zee A
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I stayed at this resort for 2 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it. The young managers, Harry and his brother, Jordan, as well as Lai, were all very friendly and accommodating as were all the other staff. One minor complaint was that I asked for my supper to be brought slowly, so we could really relax and enjoy our time during the meal. Unfortunately, they brought everything at once. Oh well... I think the waitress just did not understand my request. Our room looked out over the ocean and as it was after Tet, the resort was not crowded and the whole experience was both very romantic and very relaxing. the bathroom in the room was large and had a great shower. The resort was very nicely landscaped with lots of lovely gardens and flowers everywhere. Quite pretty. One thing that was particulalrly enjoyable was that there were no kite surfers, unlike the beaches at Mui Ne, so swimming in the lovely warm ocean was a treat. I would not hesitate to return to White Sands. It was great.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dave T
Reviewed 1 February 2014

The managers at White Sands are friendly and eager to help out, and the staff working hard to meet the guests’ needs. However, sad to say, this resort fell far short of our expectation.

The location was inconvenient. After learning so, we didn't mind taking a taxi to go into the main part of Mui Ne, but felt somewhat deceived because their website provides a meaninglessly vague map and the tripadvisor map shows as if the resort were in the central area (The management should see to such a problem--or do they intentionally leave it as it is?). The restaurant service was disorganized, and after sitting at a table with a filthy table cloth and having quite a few orders skipped and confused, we gave up and enjoyed the restaurant at the next-door hotel that offered much higher efficiency, quality and value. Breakfast was unattractive, with the food either stale or too oily. The room was clean but not particularly spacious or cozy. No bathtub, just a very weak shower. WiFi was available only at the lobby, unreliable and by far the slowest I have ever experienced.

The beach setting looked ideal, and we initially planned to stay there all day; however, it got so windy in the afternoons that they took away all the sun deck chairs. The swimming pool area was thereby crowded, and the beach bar, located on the best spot of the resort, was often occupied by the managers’ family (who spoke and acted like they owned the place) making themselves very much at home. We in fact had a terrible experience with one of them barging into our conversation at the restaurant, ruining our vacation spirit for the day. After all we had nowhere to go to or nothing to do within the property.

If you plan to have what we expected—an ordinary relaxing and undisturbed vacation—, White Sands Resort is not the place.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank apkt
HarryWSR, Manager at White Sands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Thank you very much for your review of White Sands Resort.

I am sorry for you mistake with the location of the resort I am sure that if you had read other reviews of the resort you would have found that is located just 3 km out side of mui ne where the best beaches are. This is indeed a big plus as it allows our guests to escape the noise of the town but they are still within a 5 minute taxi drive of mui ne if they wish to visit. Also the tripadvisor map is a map of the mui ne area not of the resort.

I find for the table cloth to be filthy very unlikely as all the table cloths in the resort had been replaced 2 week prior to your stay. Once again if you had done a little more research then you would know that none of the bathrooms at the resort contain a bath this is due to the fact that Binh Thuan the province white sands is located in is in fact the driest province in Vietnam so we do have to focus on saving water. All rooms at white sands have Internet access but we were experiencing problems during your stay due to underwater continental communications cable that was severed recently.

The comment about my family ''who spoke and acted like they owned the place'' this maybe due to the fact that they do in fact own the resort.

Best Regards Harry Baker
harry@whitesandresort.com

Reviewed 28 January 2014

The best thing about this place is the beach. Its so good that guests from the hotel next door came
over to lounge into the hotels sun chairs. Luckily we already had our chairs. Beautiful white sand beach with lots of loungers, bar nearby with service to your chair. All around beach area is a 10. The restaurant is big average food compared with other places. Breakfast in the morning was cold, even on our second morning we showed up early and it was still cold. Even though there were burners under a few servers. The pool looked nice and the grounds were ok. With all the gardeners around I expected a litlle more, especially by the beach front rooms. Garbage in the pots for days and staff busy taking pictures of each other. The hotel is a few kilometers from town and the hotel has motorbikes for rent. Make sure you dont drive through red lights, 40km/hr and have your license on you, Just saying.The rooms are what ruined this experience for me. Old worn out tiles, orange dots on the wall about fan height from god knows what being flung around, burnt out bulbs in the room that we asked to get replaced but didn't, tv was on the brink at night and cock roaches. I don't mind bugs and I know we are by the beach but for the price it was unacceptable. I read a lot of other reviews and the owners responses but for the price I would look elsewhere. The staffs english was probably some of the worst through my 2 months of travel. This is really hard for me to rate, it really is hit or miss and traveller dependant. The place is huge, waiting for the future surge or it has already sailed. Personally I wouldn't recommend this unless you want to be in a quite place with a great beach, don't expect more.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Perogiee
HarryWSR, Manager at White Sands Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review White Sands Resort. This is not the experience we would like any of a guests to have at White Sands and is below the high standards we set here. We can a sure you that this resort has not already sailed and that the hard working staff at White Sands are always working together to constantly improve the stay of our guests. I hope that if you return to Mui Ne you will try White Sands Resort again as I know we have a lot more to offer.

Also during our next team meeting I will be putting forward to the staff here the issues in your review and we will work to resolve them.

I apologias for not meeting you during your stay as I sure things could have been improved.

Regards
Harry Baker

Reviewed 22 January 2014

just got back from 12 nights stay at this hotel.A great little place to stay with a fantastic clean sandy beach just yards from our 2 bedroom bungalow.The hotel grounds and pool were very well maintained and all the staff were very pleasant.The breakfast was plentiful and fresh every day.The beach was clean and quiet and swimming in the sea was ok.Harry and Jordan were really good and gave us some tips and organised our pick up and drop off to SGN airport.The hotel is about 5km from the town but there are plenty of taxis to take you there and back for around 100.000 dong (£3.00) each way.Would recommend this place and hopefully will return one day and bring Harry some more marmite and a few bottles of magners! thanks to all at White Sands.Nick,Sue,Kevin and Julia

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank nickp91

Thank you very much for taking the time to review White Sands Resort.

It was a pleasure to have you stay and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay also to hear of your possible return is great! Jordan and myself are always happy to assist guest with tips or to organise transport ect... I am happy this helped you.

Thank you very much for the cadburys chocolate it was much appreciated.

Regards
Harry Baker

Reviewed 20 January 2014

I was looking for an affordable (<$100USD) beachfront place where I could relax, take in the sun, listen to the surf, swim a little, and have a few drinks. This fit the bill perfectly and I lucked out in my girlfriend and I choosing it.

White Sands is located just off Highway 1 just north of Phan Thiet and along the Miu Ne strip of many other similar resorts. Like the other resorts on the east side of the road, it has prime real estate in that is has a private beach.

The bus from HCM City dropped us off on Highway 1 what looked like the middle of nowhere (although we would later find out we were just in front of the local university). But we found out shortly that White Sands was about 700 meters away , about a quarter mile as the crow flies. As there are many hotels in the area, a taxi came by quickly and brought us to WS (although it brought us to a resort next door because we made the mistake of using the Vietnamese name on our booking page).

We were greeted at the front desk by the receptionist. Her English was better than our Vietnamese and we got checked in quickly and made our way to our room, a nice bungalow with cathedral ceilings on the beach equipped with a TV, ceiling fan, hot water heater (for coffee), safe, desk, a good-sized bathroom, and a nice little porch/balcony with wicker chairs.

The A/C worked fine for those somewhat humid days (most days were quite comfortable). The shower pressure was rather weak but for good reason as the area is one of the driest in the country and to conserve they use tankless water heaters.

The rooms are clustered in groups of five or so, nearly all on the beach, or more accurately, along the retaining wall. My girlfriend spoke with the father of the managers (two young British guys), who was visiting for Christmas, and he said it keeps back the sand which was generated by the extensive sea wall along the southern boundary of the property. The whole place is maintained constantly and well by a small army of local workers, gardeners, repairmen, security, and cleaners.

As one can see from the pictures, the beach area in front of the beach side rooms has permanent umbrellas with reclining chairs. Reserve them early with your beach towels (provided) The beach is approximately 50 meters from the bungalows, a very flat area of clean white, dry, fine, sand until one gets to the surf area. The private beach is well maintained and long enough for there to be kids playing in the sand, people horsing around in the surf and one can still lay out in the sun, read under the umbrella, or sleep in solitude and peace.

A smallish but well maintained pool sits back between the restaurant and reception/management office so one can eat poolside or under cover of the restaurant. In fact, this resort is small enough where they will bring it virtually anywhere to you on the resort (I estimate about 20-25 rooms total). We did not use the gym or spa.

There is a beach side bar, a poolside bar (which I did not see get used) and they, of course serve drinks in the restaurant. Again because the way the living/ dining area of the resort is laid out and most of the property is the beach itself, each bar takes about 20 seconds walking.

If you are looking for a party place, this won't be a place for you. there were times when (and this could have been due to the Christmas season) I felt like there were only a handful of us there..and in reality there were when we first arrived. Again, the number of rooms was very manageable so it was not a large amount of visitors anyway. The clientele were mostly European with some Russians (I think) who were in couples or families. Only rarely did I see folks drinking and frequently it was after hours, when the staff had retired for the night, using locally procured spirits.

We didn't travel much but the hotel staff linked us up with a driver to take us to a local Buddhist monastery (Ta Cu) and the Mui Ne shopping strip was a short taxi drive north.

If I had one criticism of this great place it was the customer service. Now the staff themselves were very polite and friendly. But they seemed hesitant and/or lacking proactivity when it came to ordering food and drink. Frequently, the complimentary breakfast ran out of an item (including glassware or silverware) and had to be prompted to replace.

We noted the beach bar closed an hour later than it said on the program and frequently did not make a "last call" announcement but merely turned off the bar lights and told us goodnight. Rarely were we asked if we wanted another round.

Ordering did not follow Western customs, which is surprising considering the demographics of the customers. Instead of ordering a drink and being given some time to look through the menu, they would hover. When we let them know we needed a minute, they'd sometimes disappear into the back room not to be seen again. Sometimes we'd be asked the next day to sign off on an order from the day prior.

As we were there for Christmas, we opted for the Christmas Eve dinner. It was pricey but it was a great spread of food and drinks (included) poolside with live entertainment, a Filipino band playing Christmas songs. The turnout was disappointing (I would guess due to lack of emphasis and marketing) which is a shame because the managers put a lot of effort and time into it.

Finally, again, given nationality of the management and the clientele and the preference for English I saw elsewhere in Vietnam, I was surprised how little English most of the staff spoke. Again, maybe the were more adept at Russian but i mostly saw northern European visitors. One of the staff, who was Vietnamese, was a little older (35?) and more experienced and really had a grasp of the concept of customer service and doing his best to instill it in the younger staff members.

The customer service issue was really nothing more than a nuisance as the feel of the place is laid back, slow, and causal anyway, as that's what we came her for. Whatever they lacked in (Western) customer service they made up for in politeness and attitude.

We lucked out in that the managers' father and uncle visited the week were there and they were outgoing and offered to help us in securing rides, giving us great local suggestions, and answering any number of questions.

They've collectively put much work and time into this place and it shows. My prediction is that it will be that diamond in the rough which will only get better in the years to come. We enjoyed ourselves immensely as it was up to us what we did and the folks who worked there pointed us in the right direction and took care of our needs. We would have stayed later if we could and started talking about a return trip immediately.

Room Tip: Most rooms are right at the retaining wall at the beach but a handful are set back by the receptioni...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple