“Loved it....”

Ranked #45 of 123 Hotels in Phan Thiet
Paris, France
“Loved it....”
Reviewed 22 July 2011

..... quiet, cheap, wonderful breakfast, the beach basically to ourselves, good restaurants nearby, a very relax place, perfect to finish a backpacking trip in the country....

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank raphgui

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Korean first
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We stayed at Full moon beach hotel in Mui ne on the way up north in Vietnam. We were planning to spend only 2 nights but ended up staying 4. The hotel by itself is a 3 star i believe. Rooms are clean and service friendly. There is security present at all times.

The hotel overall is very charming and has great atmosphere. It's not a luxury place but that's ot why we decided to stay. We felt that this place was just different, not a typical mass turist beach resort. We loved it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 7 June 2011

First of all: I am not a complainer! I usually shut up rather than making a big fuss about minor annoyances. But in some cases you really have to say something, and this is the case here.

I am travelling since ten month now on a low budget. Usually I sleep in hostels or guest houses and pay around 15 US$ per night. Quite often I was surprised how much you can get for that. But after such a long time of travelling I thought I could treat myself to a really nice beach resort in Vietnam. I was stupid enough to follow a Lonely Planet recommendation again (I have no idea what the LP authors are smoking, but I've been in such crappy places with LP, while much better and cheaper places were right next door, I won't buy these guides anymore!), so I ended up at the Full Moon BEach resort in Mui Ne (according to LP Mui Ne is supposed to be No. 1 beach destination in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and the greater Mekong area. I have absolutely no idea, why this is supposed to be. It's not a bad place, but with all good will it is an average destination at best).

Anyway, if I book a hotel where the rooms cost four or five times the money I usually spend for a night, I actually expect four or five times the service, amenities and comfort. I was wrong.

But let's be fair and start with the positive aspects: my room was really nice and clean, the big pool is fantastic, the breakfast is good, most of the staff are friendly.

Now to the less appealing facts:

First of all, even if this is implied by some of the pictures on the web: THERE IS NO BEACH RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE HOTEL like it is the case for most of the other beach resorts in that area. There's just a crumbling stretch of concrete and brick which was supposed to be a staircase down to the sea. This thing is downright ugly and even appears to be dangerous. There is certainly a beach just round the corner, you just have to climb down that concrete thing, if you dare, and go to the right. The water right in front of the hotel is a mess with bricks and sand filled plastic bags, some of them torn open and swimming in the sea. So if you think you could just hop from your room or your beach bed into the sea and then back... this is not the case.

During my stay, there was a huge excavator working right in front of the beach beds and the restaurant, every day. Not only that, but certainly as well men with shovels and wheelbarrows, a concrete mixer and flood lights to work until late at night. Hammering noises close to my room woke me up at eight in the morning. What a nice and cozy experience in a not so cheap beach resort. They were probably starting to fix the ugly beachfront. Don't get me wrong: I know that things like that have to be done, and that off season is the time to do it. But who on earth would have booked a room in that place if the front desk would have been honest about the construction works? Well, they weren't when I called and requested a room. There was also no compensation, no explanation, no "sorry", no nothing. Did I mention that this place was not a budget location? I wouldn't even have payed 10 bucks for that place if i knew about the construction works!

The internet worked so sporadically that you should not rely on it. When asking about the web problems, a french woman (who was probably working in the management of the hotel) seriously tried to convince me, that this was my fault and that I had the wrong wifi-setting on my netbook (which worked perfectly fine in literally the rest of the world). Then she said that it was the sevice provider's fault and that there are always problems in that area (I never had any problems in a bunch of cheap nearby restaurants). She didn't do anything to solve the problem, she didn't even say sorry for that, she just wanted to be right. She just could not admit that the hotel's computer equipment did not work properly. But as I said before, the rest of the staff were pretty friendly.

Look, I know that things like this happen, and I would never complain if wifi breaks down in a 10$ hostel. I am certainly a little less forgiving if this happens in a more expensive hotel. But if the management of this expensive hotel tells me that I am too stupid to get my wifi going, sorry, that does it.

There were a lot of other minor annoyances which I usually would never complain about, but should not happen in that price range, and thus contribute to the full picture. For example the beach beds looked pretty battered, the toilet flushing did not work properly, and there was a nice bath tub in my room, but no shower (which might be a matter of taste, but I'm not the type to take a bath everytime I want to get clean).

In relation to my everyday budget, I spent quite a lot of money there, and I got construction noise and trouble in return. I would not recommend to go to that place within the next two or three months, until construction is done. And certainly not, if you want to have a real beach right in front of a "Beach Resort". But maybe you like to be told how wrong you are about everything by the management, then this is the place for you to go. ;)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank jericho_one
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2011

We went for three days, extended for another two and another and another.
Why would you ever leave this resort? Now that we are in China we are wondering just that! We had three meals a day looking at the beautiful ocean and days swimming in the pool. The food was amazing and affordable! The partner resaurant at Jibes made it amazing for French cuizine. We ate other places in Mui Ne but found the Full Moon unbeatable. They can book mopeds, tours and everything you need for a great vacation.
If you go, don't plan on leaving...ever! :)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank socanman
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 May 2011

We stayed there for a couple of days. The hotel is nice but not much to say. Service and room were average (had a sea view one but garden are nice too). Got a baby cot in the room. The bar attached to the hotel is overpriced, do not go there. The swimming pool was a plus - while they ahve some issue with their beach side: the whole beach front needs to be repaired: it;s full of sandbag and can be dangerous if you have young kids.

Hard to say if there's better value for money around

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MaryGabby
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 14 December 2010

We booked a beach front for 4 nights here and a seaview for 1 night due availability.

Charmingly decorated in vietnamese furnishing. It is clean but not spotless and it cost 90/usd a night for beach front and 70 usd for seaview with breakfast. The seaview room actually nicer (no. 23) than the beachfronts (19 and 20). The rooms have an open bathroom with an interesting bath tub with two levels in it so you can sit (not stand) and shower. The hotel charges 3% for visa and 5% for amex for credit card payments and require bank transfer for a deposit.

The problem we encoutered at Full Moon is the unprofessional and unapologetic (actually we found them very rude) way reception staff and management handle a room error.

A few hours after checking in when we were happily sleeping in our bed a staff came to our room and asked us to move to another room (same price, but not as good in terms of privacy, space, and view) because another couple have arrived and wanted our room.

Feeling tired and confused we didn't understand why we were being push over for other guests. Why should we move to a smaller room, less privacy for the same price? To please them we said we will stay 2 nights in the room and then move afterwards.b

To add to the confusion, the owners Pascal and Phuong upon hearing about the problem appeared to be apologetic at first and mentioned to us we could 'keep' our room in an email so we thought all good no need to pack and repack. Then his staff came up to us after the two nights and asked us to move! Seriously bad communication all around and no means of an offer of apology for the inconvenience. Definitely not the vietnamese hospitality I love. Other places would be throwing in atleast 10% discount to please their customers.

Full Moon has lovely rooms but staff can be inattentive and quick to have an answer for pretty much everything even their own mistakes. They can talk a lot and wear you down with excuses.

So thumb up for the rooms we stayed, the cleaners and the restaurant staff.

Thumb down for the reception staff and management for being pushy with guests and not having the best effort to solve problems.

Stay if you really have no alternatives.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank justresa
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Reviewed 9 November 2010

Currently staying in the Full Moon Beach resort and I keep extending the stay! Right on the beach, friendly staff, good food, good spacious room (Family room), lovely pool and plenty of kids to play with for my 3 year old daughter. All the conditions during your stay were made with the guest in mind: cheap laundry, cheap minibar, friendly checkout time, good, fast and reliable internet, tasteful breakfast (incluided)..
Situated right next to the professional Jibe´s Kite Boarding and Surfing school, this combination is a hit for any watersport enthousiast.
Don´t forget to visit Sankara, a cool lounge bar-restaurant on the beach just 50 m from the Full Moon beach resort.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family