“Lots of potential but nothing worked and understaffed”

Livingstone Backpackers
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Overall was very disappointed by this hostel:

- The rooms were very cramped and hot. Staff could not spare a fan for the first night so the room was baking. Even with the fan the room was still extremely hot.
- The water pump broke so there was no water for showering, toilets or drinking (advertised as being free) for 2 days. Sure these things happen but you can make effort to compensate through a discount, providing bottled water, complimentary drink...something?
- Nice pool and bar area however very difficult to track down staff to get a drink at times (there only seems to be one person working there at one time).
- The kitchen was GROTTY, the fridge hadn't been cleaned out in a long time.
- Wifi hardly ever worked. When you are paying for it I would expect the standard to be much higher
- Restaurant wasn't in operation at the time

Its a shame because the hostel has a really nice vibe and shared space but management just couldn't seem to get it together. Overall I would avoid and recommend Jollyboys instead

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 November 2013

This place was just exactly what we needed. Good location, decent rates and friendly staff....and it's got a bar! We stayed here for 3 nights in October 2013. We were going to camp again but ended up staying in one of the dorms...a comfy bed for a change! At times on our travels around Africa we've felt a bit unsure about our surroundings however Livingstone was great (and the backpackers has 24hr security). The town has good bars/restaurants and there is loads to do. Diving with crocodiles and the rafting was fantastic. The guides even came back to the backpackers with us for a few beers! But the Vic Falls itself was truly amazing. You just have to see it for yourself.........I've read on tripadvisor that some people say that they got bitten by bugs and it was a bit dirty.....it's Africa!!! What did you expect??!!
If you're visiting Livingstone and the Vic Falls I fully recommend staying at the Livingstone Backpackers.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Livingstone backpackers have a nice pool and it`s a good place to meet funny people. It`s great atmosphere in the weekends. Like some other reviews I had bug bites from the bed. So it`s not very clean.
Still the staff are friendly and the showers are nice. It`s a ok place but livingstone has a lot of great places to stay.
Also very cheap(around 10-14 $)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I came to Livingstone Backpackers for the second time, but I wish I didn't.
My first experience, in September, was ok. Not great, but it was ok. This time, I just stayed for one night (compared to 3 last time). It was just a place to crash after a night out, so checked in in the evening and went out with my friend. Spent the night, and the following day I had bites all over my side, and my friend had also some bug bites. Obviously the beds were not as clean as I wanted them to be.
I'm never picky, but next time, I will try another backpacker place in Livingstone.

The good things about LB, is the friendly staff. Never had any problems with them, and they always help us out on activities we want to do.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my friends for a week in September and we had a fantastic time! There was four of us so we had a dorm which was small but manageable. Shared toilets and showers were fine and always clean. The staff were really friendly and willing to help. There is a bar which is pretty quiet in the week but is huge fun at the weekends.
We booked all our trips through LBP and we had an amazing time.
The pool area is brilliant with loads of comfy sunbeds and sofas. Just a great place to chill out. There is a shared kitchen area which is pretty good and a fridge which gets a bit stinky but to be expected! Would definitely recommend staying here whether a lone traveller or a group - Backpackers has a great vibe, we met so many lovely people there.

• Stayed: September 2013
Dawn S, General Manager at Livingstone Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Thank you for your review, we'll take a look at that fridge! Safe travels ..

Reviewed 2 October 2013

The staff were wonderful, freindly and unbleivebly helful. great location great price great exprience. i was in a tent and it was a bit noisy during the weekend nights but overall awesome place. highly recomend

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank yona h

Thank you so much for your review, look forward to seeing you again some day!

Reviewed 15 June 2013

I stayed here a few times in May and June 2013. The location is nice, right in the middle of town. The property is very beautiful, with a big pool, many nice little spots to lounge, and a very friendly dog. In the two times I visited, it seemed like the other guests were mainly groups (volunteers or travellers), and very few solo travellers (like me).
The dorm rooms have only four beds, but they are quite small so making space for everyone's luggage is a challenge. The bar is very lively, but also very close to the rooms so if you don't want to join the party you'll have a difficult time sleeping. They have a nice range of breakfasts, but unfortunately don't do any lunch or dinner. The showers are a bit few and don't have any hooks for your clothes and towel.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business